Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 42 Reliability

There have been some rolling changes to the guns, I'm not sure what exactly has been done, and the current mags are marked "03". The guns currently being produced, along with the "03" mags that have the latest follower design, to seem to be reliable. I believe the 42 as well as the 43/43X and maybe even the 48 may be a bit more dependent on a decent grip to function properly than the larger Glocks.

So my wife picked up her G42 today and all I can think is that now I want one for my pocket.
    My 642 is objectively a better choice for front pocket carry, especially since the 42 will hang up unless I use a claw grip.
    But....
    Damn it, the G42 is just such a sweet little blaster to shoot!
    The snubbie is still the smarter choice.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    So my wife picked up her G42 today and all I can think is that now I want one for my pocket.
    My 642 is objectively a better choice for front pocket carry, especially since the 42 will hang up unless I use a claw grip.
    But....
    Damn it, the G42 is just such a sweet little blaster to shoot!
    The snubbie is still the smarter choice.
    I bought my wife one, and then borrowed it so much I ended up making a trade for one for myself.

It does not work too well for a front-pocket pistol, if you care about a smooth, snag-free draw, but it is a sweet shooter and vanishes IWB or in a smartcarry, even under a light snug tshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I bought my wife one, and then borrowed it so much I ended up making a trade for one for myself.

It does not work too well for a front-pocket pistol, if you care about a smooth, snag-free draw, but it is a sweet shooter and vanishes IWB or in a smartcarry, even under a light snug tshirt.
    I don't have G42 to try, but I normally pocket carry pair of G26, if on pocket draw stroke you place your thumb on rear of slide similar effect to what Mas suggested many years ago for hammer spur on J frames & such it helps a lot. Thumb knuckle works like deflector/plow to smooth path.

With my pocket carried G26's in my Duluth Firehose Pants I carry with the 12 round mags, can't smoothly draw with the 12 round mags from other pant pockets I own so use 10 round flush mag for those pants, with any of them I rotate gun forward as I grip it to pop base of 12 round mag clear of pocket and then rotate/curl top of slide clear of front of pocket.

It's different technique from IWB or OWB holsters, not as motion or speed efficient, but IMHO pocket guns are different than belt carried guns and shouldn't be evaluated the same. Though for me personally G26 with 12 round mag is bit easier to shoot than G19. Though G26 with flush 10 round mage is bit harder to shoot than G19, but even with 10 round mag G26 is worlds easier to shoot than J frame.

Remember you can usually go to grip with pocket carry gun far sooner than you can otherwise, with no negative consequences, and getting grip is significant time component of drawstroke IMO. So you can "cheat" on the streets with pocket carry draw, think DB has mentioned really fast draws on timer with J frame/LCR starting with gun gripped.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    I don't have G42 to try, but I normally pocket carry pair of G26, if on pocket draw stroke you place your thumb on rear of slide similar effect to what Mas suggested many years ago for hammer spur on J frames & such it helps a lot. Thumb knuckle works like deflector/plow to smooth path.

With my pocket carried G26's in my Duluth Firehose Pants I carry with the 12 round mags, can't smoothly draw with the 12 round mags from other pant pockets I own so use 10 round flush mag for those pants, with any of them I rotate gun forward as I grip it to pop base of 12 round mag clear of pocket and then rotate/curl top of slide clear of front of pocket.

It's different technique from IWB or OWB holsters, not as motion or speed efficient, but IMHO pocket guns are different than belt carried guns and shouldn't be evaluated the same. Though for me personally G26 with 12 round mag is bit easier to shoot than G19. Though G26 with flush 10 round mage is bit harder to shoot than G19, but even with 10 round mag G26 is worlds easier to shoot than J frame.

Remember you can usually go to grip with pocket carry gun far sooner than you can otherwise, with no negative consequences, and getting grip is significant time component of drawstroke IMO. So you can "cheat" on the streets with pocket carry draw, think DB has mentioned really fast draws on timer with J frame/LCR starting with gun gripped.
    I’ve pocket carried almost daily for 20 years with a 642/442. Never found an adequate way to do that with my G26, though it is my favorite Glock and is regularly carried IWB/OWB/shoulder. G42 is a niche gun and I like it a lot.

A buddy was selling his G42, and I couldn't resist it. So far it's been reliable with HST, Critical Defense, flat point, and ball.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Name:  IMG_5015.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  53.7 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    1000words
    Who knew that the “G” in G42 stood for “Ghetto…”

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Who knew that the “G” in G42 stood for “Ghetto…”

FWIW... I think that is a Blue Force Gear pocket holster... not homebrew. If so, I'm curious how GJM likes it... and if he's tried the same holster, but in J-frame flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    FWIW... I think that is a Blue Force Gear pocket holster... not homebrew. If so, I'm curious how GJM likes it... and if he's tried the same holster, but in J-frame flavor.
    It works well for the 42, but haven't tried one for a J.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List