Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 42 Reliability

Site Supporter

Glock 42 Reliability

A friend opted for a Glock 42 as a retirement weapon. While there is an eighty-three page discussion on the Glock 42, it ended in 2015. Any current opinions or experience on the reliability and, to a lesser extent, accuracy of these pistols?

Thanks amd be safe.

Site Supporter
    I had one, went back to Glock for FTEs, double feeds, not sure what else. Replacement, same thing. Sold the replacement to a coworker at full disclosure and he had some issues too.

Not sure if it was my grip slowing the slide down during recoil or if t was the gun, but it wasn't worth the hassle for me. A 42x would be cool, but I am not confident in the 42 at this point. Others have had better luck with them.

A loaner G42 I acquired for my wife to try ran like a top for both of us, through a couple of boxes of S&B ball last year. It’s a much nicer shooting gun than my LCP or the LCP II we borrowed. The G42 owner is a larger man (for hand size/grip context) and has never had an issue with the little Glock (I asked when he dropped it off). He’s a shooter, but not sure about the round count on his 42. Sample size of one gun, two mags.

Current .380acp ammo prices are ridiculous, if that matters to your friend.

I had a 2018 mfg. date 42 for a while. It was good to go,
    Accurate and reliable.
    Good gun but i decided a 380 wasn't something I wanted to bet my life on and traded for a 43.

Feedway stoppages on early guns were due to the feedramp geometry. The changes are obvious when compared side by side.

Also changed were the slide stop and trigger assembly housing; each providing some fixes to additional feeding and ejection problems. Slide stop got a -1 part number revision. I don't recall how the updated TAH was identified.

The early 10lb triggers were fixed by an updated connector. 33564 is the part number I think.

Current magazine revision is 03 I think. First magazines were unmarked. Unmarked "Revision 0.5" magazines had some dremel work done in Smyrna because I guess they didn't want to just trash them before releasing the 01 magazines. I still saw them being sold as "new" as late as 2018.

I'm not aware of an updated extractor.

I had my early barrel (similar to the first picture above) corrected by a gunsmith rather than deal with Glock's Mystery Fixes (details not available at the time in ~2015; just "we'll fix it"). With the barrel now looking like the bottom example it will feed everything including Gold Dots and Hornady FTX rounds. Before it was only reliable with ball.

I would think a current production 42 with 03 magazines would be reliable. I'm not aware of any recent changes to the 42. All the above changes are several years old at this point.

Practical accuracy for most people is going to be considerably better than anything from a Glock 43 to a Ruger LCP. The 42 is basically a rimfire pistol in terms of recoil and that shows up when people who aren't dedicated shooters actually start using these guns.

This year I took a G42 off @Sig_Fiend and it has had no problems or stoppages in 400 rounds of S&B and Hydrashok. I have two brand new 6 round mags that it will nosedive on when initially chambering a round using the slide-stop, but not when manually racking and not when shooting so I don't care as I don't plan on carrying 6 round mags as a reload for it. The 8 round mags that SigFiend gave me work great, no issues.

Maybe he can comment about whatever stoppages or issues he encountered in his ownership, if any. I'm happy with it in my short 400 rounds, though.

I will say that I do not have big hands and using it without a Hogue slip-on grip is pretty annoying. Almost feels like my hands are cramping. The Hogue grip makes all the difference so I put it back on.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I have two brand new 6 round mags that it will nosedive on when initially chambering a round using the slide-stop, but not when manually racking and not when shooting so I don't care as I don't plan on carrying 6 round mags as a reload for it. The 8 round mags that SigFiend gave me work great, no issues.
    Which revision number? "New" for Glock 42 mags might not mean much since I don't think Glock has made or sold a bunch of them and older, problematic magazines have lingered in the pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Which revision number? "New" for Glock 42 mags might not mean much since I don't think Glock has made or sold a bunch of them and older, problematic magazines have lingered in the pipeline.
    Bottom of the mag body reads:

The feed ramp looks like the one in the photos above.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Bottom of the mag body reads:

The feed ramp looks like the one in the photos above.
    Sounds like the most recent magazine revision.

Those are two very different feed ramps.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Sounds like the most recent magazine revision.

Those are two very different feed ramps.
    I don't know what the difference is, then.

It's got a ramp thingy.

User Tag List