Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt M5

Site Supporter
    I just want CZ to bring me a C8A3 and a C7A2...

If we are talking about Northern Colt’s the L119A2 is fire.

OK, I want one.... But I really don't need one..
    I'd like to see Colt get hammer forged barrels like Dimaco.

Quote Originally Posted by FTZMafia View Post
    Did any of you see this new release from Colt?

https://soldiersystems.net/2021/09/16/dsei-21-colt-m5/

I like the ambi bolt release capability, that's been lacking in production AR's for quite some time.
    I wonder if they'll be releasing these for the civilian market in the near future.

As an aside, been lurking for quite some time now enjoying the community here, but only recently made an account.
    Happy to be here.

I'll definitely make the purchase

Interesting model(s) for sure.

I never really “got” the whole ambi craze from a few years ago. I suppose on the one hand it’s not a bad thing, but this looks like a truly inelegant and cobbled-together design when it comes to the added port-side mag release, and particularly the execution of the added bolt release on the starboard side.

In the diagram, the port-side mag release looks a little gnangly but the bold release doesn’t look *too* horrible…
    Name:  D435ADD0-A894-42CC-820F-4E5C3593B23A.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  22.5 KB

In execution, that bolt release looks horrendous. Also, does it give me an “ambi” bolt catch, or just a release? I’ve always been far more interested in the former.
    Name:  938B9A42-8D5A-4192-8B8B-2B166ECE507D.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  28.4 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

I never really “got” the whole ambi craze from a few years ago
    As a left handed rifle shooter, my only requirement on an AR is an ambi-safety. I've adapted to the other controls. In fact, as a former right handed shooter (switched due to eye dominance), I still require an ambi-safety. Having short thumbs, my on safe procedure uses the trigger finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    As a left handed rifle shooter, my only requirement on an AR is an ambi-safety. I've adapted to the other controls. In fact, as a former right handed shooter (switched due to eye dominance), I still require an ambi-safety. Having short thumbs, my on safe procedure uses the trigger finger.
    I did become a convert to the ambi safety with short-throw lever on the strong side and a 45° travel.

But I also still find it a nice to have not a have to have.

The fact that this requires zero re-engineering of the lower is nice as well. Pretty much a drop-in part.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

I never really “got” the whole ambi craze from a few years ago. I suppose on the one hand it’s not a bad thing, but this looks like a truly inelegant and cobbled-together design when it comes to the added port-side mag release, and particularly the execution of the added bolt release on the starboard side.

In the diagram, the port-side mag release looks a little gnangly but the bold release doesn’t look *too* horrible…
    Name:  D435ADD0-A894-42CC-820F-4E5C3593B23A.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  22.5 KB

In execution, that bolt release looks horrendous. Also, does it give me an “ambi” bolt catch, or just a release? I’ve always been far more interested in the former.
    Name:  938B9A42-8D5A-4192-8B8B-2B166ECE507D.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  28.4 KB
    The lower looks the same as the Colt CM762 I once owned.

I will tell you the only issue I had with it (and I wrote about this in my Combat Absolute AAR) is the ambi mag release. Being right on the edge of the trigger guard area, when I'd go to press the release, on occasion my finger would slip inside the guard. I did not have any accidental discharges, but one could occur - in theory.

EDIT: The right side bolt release is just a release, I do not recall being able to lock the bolt back using that one.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    The lower looks the same as the Colt CM762 I once owned.

I will tell you the only issue I had with it (and I wrote about this in my Combat Absolute AAR) is the ambi mag release. Being right on the edge of the trigger guard area, when I'd go to press the release, on occasion my finger would slip inside the guard. I did not have any accidental discharges, but one could occur - in theory.

EDIT: The right side bolt release is just a release, I do not recall being able to lock the bolt back using that one.
    On the Colt 901 the right side is just a release. According to SSD the new one on the M5 can serve as both. It looks as if it is designed for you to get your finger under it and lift.

I don’t know… the last product I saw with a designation of “M5” didn’t work out too well…
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List