Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt M5

Colt M5

Did any of you see this new release from Colt?

https://soldiersystems.net/2021/09/16/dsei-21-colt-m5/

I like the ambi bolt release capability, that's been lacking in production AR's for quite some time.
    I wonder if they'll be releasing these for the civilian market in the near future.

As an aside, been lurking for quite some time now enjoying the community here, but only recently made an account.
    Happy to be here.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FTZMafia View Post
    Did any of you see this new release from Colt?

https://soldiersystems.net/2021/09/16/dsei-21-colt-m5/

I like the ambi bolt release capability, that's been lacking in production AR's for quite some time.
    I wonder if they'll be releasing these for the civilian market in the near future.

As an aside, been lurking for quite some time now enjoying the community here, but only recently made an account.
    Happy to be here.
    Welcome!

I’d buy one.

I wonder if it is the same lower as the Colt Canada MRR series carbines? Clearly the upper is not an MRR variant.

https://www.coltcanada.com/fleet-upg...custom-builds/

I’d be interested in the 9mm if it came in a non paperwork (16” barrel) carbine.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I think an update to the trigger guard has been due for a couple of decades. The Magpul and other enlarged trigger guards help with gloves, but not thicker fingered gloves and most particularly, mittens. I grew up in Alaska and if you've ever lived in really cold environments, gloves don't cut it for longer times in the cold. You need mittens or you're going to lose finger function and eventual frostbite. The Sig 550 series has been described as the ultimate derivation of the AK and I think there is a lot of merit to it. Every AK variant should have adopted their trigger guard which can be rotated to one side or the other so a mittened hand can reach the trigger. Honestly, I'm really surprised that the Finns never did it.

Anyway, the AR15/M16 was designed and manufactured with a trigger guard that could rotate down to lie flat against front of the pistol grip, allowing access to the trigger by a gloved or mittened hand. Except, when the grip is anything but the original grip and trigger guard, you can't do that. Having presented the background, the trigger guard should be reconfigured so that it hinges from the front point at the mag well, not the rear. Then it could swing down just behind the magazine. It could be designed so that it can't swing far enough forward to interfere with ejecting or loading a new mag. That gets it out of the way for use with a glove or mitten and no interference with a grip.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
    Maybe I'm an outlier, but I think an update to the trigger guard has been due for a couple of decades. The Magpul and other enlarged trigger guards help with gloves, but not thicker fingered gloves and most particularly, mittens. I grew up in Alaska and if you've ever lived in really cold environments, gloves don't cut it for longer times in the cold. You need mittens or you're going to lose finger function and eventual frostbite. The Sig 550 series has been described as the ultimate derivation of the AK and I think there is a lot of merit to it. Every AK variant should have adopted their trigger guard which can be rotated to one side or the other so a mittened hand can reach the trigger. Honestly, I'm really surprised that the Finns never did it.

Anyway, the AR15/M16 was designed and manufactured with a trigger guard that could rotate down to lie flat against front of the pistol grip, allowing access to the trigger by a gloved or mittened hand. Except, when the grip is anything but the original grip and trigger guard, you can't do that. Having presented the background, the trigger guard should be reconfigured so that it hinges from the front point at the mag well, not the rear. Then it could swing down just behind the magazine. It could be designed so that it can't swing far enough forward to interfere with ejecting or loading a new mag. That gets it out of the way for use with a glove or mitten and no interference with a grip.
    Swings forward and is physically held in place against the mag-well. Otherwise it would inevitably move and foul the shooting hand in a hurry-up engagement.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Swings forward and is physically held in place against the mag-well. Otherwise it would inevitably move and foul the shooting hand in a hurry-up engagement.
    Slides rearward into a slot inside the pistol grip, completely contained.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Colt has been selling the M5 internationally for a bit. I would buy one in a heart beat if they offered it here.

Definitely put me down for one!

User Tag List