Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 stoppage w/o magazine inserted

Beretta 92 stoppage w/o magazine inserted

I have a Beretta 92 I bought NIB and have 1,262 rounds through it. 1,230 of that is Sellier & Bellot mostly 124 grain but some 115 grain. Zero stoppages until today. Gun has a 14 lb chrome silicon hammer spring, 14 chrome silicone recoil spring, LTT optimized trigger bar, match sear, trigger from a 92X performance, metal parts kit, and a G conversion kit.

Today I was practicing loading a round from the magazine, removing the magazine, firing the round in the chamber, slide cycles, dry fire on the empty chamber then reload and repeat. I’ve found this very beneficial in eliminating anticipation etc.

Of the 3 magazines (45 rounds) I fired this way I had a stoppage twice. Other than that the pistol has never had a stoppage. I have it lubed pretty heavily with Weapon Shield Grease. In total I fired 163 rounds this range trip. The dry fire practice was after I’d fired 60 rounds normally.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

If the gun has never malfunctioned with a magazine inserted, the way the gun is designed to operate, then it sounds like it functions fine. I wouldn’t worry about it unless the gun started to malfunction when fired with a magazine inserted. The presence of the magazine aides in proper ejection on many semi-autos. Lots of guns will occasionally have stoppages if fired without a magazine.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

The only malfunction I’ve had in my M9 was when a Golden Saber .380 got mixed in with some 9mm GS. It fired but the casing ejected per your picture. Purely my fault. Perhaps you had an underpowered round. And magazines do help with ejection in some pistols. Or maybe more accurately, ejection characteristics may change with a magazine removed. The 1911 comes to mind here with that ejection test with no magazine installed. This test is for extractor function with that platform. Maybe this is a one in a million, but that one is one too many in a defensive firearm. Make sure the extractor hook is clean and fire on. Those single only hiccups can be hard to diagnose. Keep shooting and see if it happens again. Disclaimer: I haven’t had my morning coffee yet!!

Your situation isrobably of no real actual operational concern, but I've found that a good annual protocol is to remove the extractor and clean the extractor and it's recess; there's an amazing amount of GSR that can get caked up in their and on the extractor itself, and that might be providing your issue when the magazine is removed. After reassembling, remember to lightly strake the extractor pin at the top of the slide to prevent the pin from wandering out in use.

Best, Jon

Most semi auto pistols are designed and work more reliably with a magazine inserted. This topic comes up every couple of years, and it's up to you as to whether the gun not working as reliably when fired with no mag is important. I personally think it doesn't matter, because it's not going to be able to fire another round with no magazine anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Your situation isrobably of no real actual operational concern, but I've found that a good annual protocol is to remove the extractor and clean the extractor and it's recess; there's an amazing amount of GSR that can get caked up in their and on the extractor itself, and that might be providing your issue when the magazine is removed. After reassembling, remember to lightly strake the extractor pin at the top of the slide to prevent the pin from wandering out in use.

Best, Jon
    Is there any benefit to installing a Wilson Combat 150% extra power extractor spring? I have a few of those laying around from when I had a 92X Performance but never used them.

Wilson has provided me with both of their chrome silicon extractor springs, so I installed the standard strength one. I've been pretty pleased with it's performance since it's installation, so while I have the increased strength one, I've had no compelling reason to remove the standard strength one and install it. I think you're just fine with the standard strength one. Best, Jon

Another Question, I’ve noticed recently while dry firing, holding the trigger back and cycling the slide to check the trigger reset that in the last 200 rounds sometimes the reset i hardly hear the click noise when the trigger resets. It’s still resetting like normal in the same spot every time but sometimes for say 10 pulls it will go barely audible and then it goes back to hearing the very audible click sound. 1,500 rounds through the pistol now. LTT Optimized trigger bar and match sear, match hammer, and 14 lb CS hammer spring. The trigger is super smooth and broken in now. I’d say I have at least another 1,500 dry fires through it at least.

Don't be concerned about a single stoppage. They all malfunction eventually, especially if you're using the weapon outside of its design parameters, as you are. If you use the pistol with the magazine inserted and then start having failues to eject, that's cause for concern.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I suspect the lack of the magazine is allowing the spent casing to remain in the breach area long enough to create the stovepipe you are showing. I agree with the others here on the point that if this is not happening when you have a magazine inserted, then I would not worry about it. Supposedly the Beretta was designed to facilitate breach loading in the event the magazine was lost so if God forbid you were in a situation where you were down to breach loading single rounds in your defensive handgun, you would still have to lock the slide back and reload, thus clearing your stoppage

The drill you are using sounds like a creative play on the “ball and dummy” drill. I will say from experience that with the Beretta, a spent casing can be used pretty reliably as a dummy allowing you to leave the magazine inserted. Of course YMMV.

User Tag List