Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Precision AR Buttstock Options?

Precision AR Buttstock Options?

What do people like for AR15 and AR10 precision buttstocks these days?

The magpul PRS has been used for over a decade I think. They’ve announced the PRS Lite which may or may not be better for some contexts.

I don’t know much about precision shooting. I know bolt actions are better than gas guns for many precision things. If you’re getting an AR based precision rifle, what stock do you like?

My research yielded that you can get a vltor A5 length buffer tube to use standard AR15 5.56 carbine buffers with an AR10 since the extra length of the A5 will accommodate the AR10 BCG with standard 5.56 buffer which I’d love to standardize on 5.56 carbine buffers because then I could keep a bunch of different buffers and springs on hand that I can swap around different guns to optimize things and tweak as needed to find the right recipe for each gun.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There was some discussion of that in this thread a couple years ago:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Rifle-20-quot

Some people just like an A1/A2 fixed butt stock to completely eliminate any wobble/movement.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I converted almost entirely over to SL/SL-K stocks recently. Got this for my DMR-ish AR-15. Very happy with it. Have one of the magpul fixed stocks on my 20" varmint gun which I am also generally satisfied with.

I have the PRS Gen3 on my Remington, but I much prefer the MDT SRS on my Creedmoor. XLR also makes nice buttstocks, but I prefer a flat bagrider.

I would not use the SRS on anything but a range gun, however.

I found Magpul PRS Gen 3 to be too long. The previous gen was decent. I also have LMT DMR stock that I like a little more. However, Magpul ACS works well for me in precision AR as well.

My favorite is the Seekins 10x. It’s adjustable and has a good cheekpiece, but is lightweight.

https://seekinsprecision.com/procomp-10x.html

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My favorite is the Seekins 10x. It’s adjustable and has a good cheekpiece, but is lightweight.

https://seekinsprecision.com/procomp-10x.html

What buffer tubes does it take? I’m finding it difficult to identify buffer tubes for different stocks. A lot of websites don’t list it for some reason.

I think there’s three possibilities. AR15 carbine. V5 carbine. AR15 Rifle. And then AR10 can use any of those with the right length buffer. Shorter carbine buffer in a carbine tube. Standard buffer in V5 tube. Shorter rifle buffer in rifle tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    What do people like for AR15 and AR10 precision buttstocks these days?

The magpul PRS has been used for over a decade I think. They’ve announced the PRS Lite which may or may not be better for some contexts.

I don’t know much about precision shooting. I know bolt actions are better than gas guns for many precision things. If you’re getting an AR based precision rifle, what stock do you like?

My research yielded that you can get a vltor A5 length buffer tube to use standard AR15 5.56 carbine buffers with an AR10 since the extra length of the A5 will accommodate the AR10 BCG with standard 5.56 buffer which I’d love to standardize on 5.56 carbine buffers because then I could keep a bunch of different buffers and springs on hand that I can swap around different guns to optimize things and tweak as needed to find the right recipe for each gun.
    First, start with a simple stock, like the MagPul MOE or Slimline, then go shoot your rifle until your tenney runners are covered in brass. Until you do, you have no idea what you want in a stock.

Second, if you’re swapping buffers around on your 5.56 ARs, you haven’t shot enough. You don’t need different buffers. If you’re using a carbine RE, put an H2 buffer in there and leave it alone. If using an A5 type RE, use an A5H2. Anything lighter and your AR is under buffered.

Currently, I have a MagPul Slimline stock and an A5 RE with an A5H2 buffer and Sprinco green spring on my precision AR. I find the PRS too clunky.

Bottom line- Shoot Before Modifying. Ammo Before Accessories. Keep It Simple. Follow this and you’ll save a lot of money and aggravation.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

What he said ^

I will add that my favorite stock is the LMT SOPMOD.

I will also add remember Slash’s heavy buffers if you own an AR-10. Don’t just swap buffers willy nilly they have a purpose and lighter is almost never good. Carbine sized buffers in carbine tubes (but I never go lighter than H) and rifle buffer in a rifle tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    What buffer tubes does it take? I’m finding it difficult to identify buffer tubes for different stocks. A lot of websites don’t list it for some reason.

I think there’s three possibilities. AR15 carbine. V5 carbine. AR15 Rifle. And then AR10 can use any of those with the right length buffer. Shorter carbine buffer in a carbine tube. Standard buffer in V5 tube. Shorter rifle buffer in rifle tube.
    I have the Seekins 10x on a rifle length lower. I think it can also mount to carbine.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List