Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Scopes?

Vintage Scopes?

My Dad is getting up there in years and he just gave me his old hunting rifle. It is a sporterized M1903 Springfield done sometime in the 1960's. The story goes that this rifle was used in competition at Camp Perry prior to it's conversion into a hunting rifle so it may have been a M1903 NM but who knows

Anyway ... it has an old beat up Bushnell Scope Chief on it and I would like to replace it with a decent period correct scope. Not just a scope that is in decent shape cosmetically, but one that is also usable with decent glass, durability and etc. I know that vintage scopes don't hold a candle to new models but I'm sure that some are better than others.

I obtained a first generation Weaver K4 that would look really good on this rifle but it is just so primitive that it is almost unusable. Any suggestions on what to get? Maybe some sort of Leopold?

A vintage Weaver K4 should only be unusable if it's damaged. There's nothing about it that makes it more "primitive" than any other scope from the era, so I'm not sure what you're looking for or needing to make a scope useable.

If it were me, I'd buy a vintage military scope given it's a military 03. 8x Unertl, Hi Lux M82, M84, that sort of thing. There's plenty available on Ebay among other sorts of collector specific websites like VintageGunScopes.com who actually refurbish them as well.

Here's a primer on Springfield 03 scopes used by the military as a starting point for what to look for:

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    My Dad is getting up there in years and he just gave me his old hunting rifle. It is a sporterized M1903 Springfield done sometime in the 1960's. The story goes that this rifle was used in competition at Camp Perry prior to it's conversion into a hunting rifle so it may have been a M1903 NM but who knows

Anyway ... it has an old beat up Bushnell Scope Chief on it and I would like to replace it with a decent period correct scope. Not just a scope that is in decent shape cosmetically, but one that is also usable with decent glass, durability and etc. I know that vintage scopes don't hold a candle to new models but I'm sure that some are better than others.

I obtained a first generation Weaver K4 that would look really good on this rifle but it is just so primitive that it is almost unusable. Any suggestions on what to get? Maybe some sort of Leopold?
    https://www.vintagegunscopes.com/
    This outfit will refurbish your scope or sell you one that has been. I have a K6 I mean to send them if I ever get around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    A vintage Weaver K4 should only be unusable if it's damaged. There's nothing about it that makes it more "primitive" than any other scope from the era, so I'm not sure what you're looking for or needing to make a scope useable.
    Maybe "primitive" is not the best word. The first gen K4 I have is very dark. You need a lot of light to see through it. Also the reticle does not stay centered as you adjust the for elevation & windage. Also the eye relief is very critical. Hard to find the very narrow sweet spot. I have read they resolved in the K4 60-B model.

I am pretty certain that there are more usable hunting scopes to be had made in the 1960's perhaps? A Leopold M8 might fit the bill. I think they started making those in the 1960's.

I would put a good fresh scope on it and not try to keep it an antique.
    Of put one in QD rings and mount the Weaver for show and tell but put a brighter scope on it to shoot with.

A NM Springfield will have the serial number electropenciled on the bolt and the barrel will be star gauged, denoted by a teeny little rayed circle stamped right on the crown.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Also the reticle does not stay centered as you adjust the for elevation & windage.
    Ah, yes! That's definitely one of the more annoying things about a lot of the older scopes.

In your case given what you don't like about it, I would suggest the same as @Jim Watson. Just get a new scope.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I would put a good fresh scope on it and not try to keep it an antique.
    Of put one in QD rings and mount the Weaver for show and tell but put a brighter scope on it to shoot with.

A NM Springfield will have the serial number electropenciled on the bolt and the barrel will be star gauged, denoted by a teeny little rayed circle stamped right on the crown.
    I have a feeling that is where I will end up - new scope. Thanks for the tip on the markings. I'll take a look.

The Leupold M8 series of scopes, which were made up until the early 2000s, can look period correct depending on the font of the Leupold logo and are very reliable, modern, scopes that hold adjustments well and will not fog. I have had dozens of vintage steel tubed Weaver scopes and they look cool, but they are often not adequately sealed and can fog very easily. The only vintage scope I'd consider for actual use would be a Leupold M8. On your 1903 Springfield, an M8 4x28 "long tube" scope would be perfect and would give you adequate fore/aft flexibility in mounting that many contemporary scopes lack.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    The Leupold M8 series of scopes, which were made up until the early 2000s, can look period correct depending on the font of the Leupold logo and are very reliable, modern, scopes that hold adjustments well and will not fog. I have had dozens of vintage steel tubed Weaver scopes and they look cool, but they are often not adequately sealed and can fog very easily. The only vintage scope I'd consider for actual use would be a Leupold M8. On your 1903 Springfield, an M8 4x28 "long tube" scope would be perfect and would give you adequate fore/aft flexibility in mounting that many contemporary scopes lack.
    I had an M8 4x28 that was probably made in the mid 80’s based on the used rifle it was on. Considering what I paid for that package it had surprisingly good glass and the adjustments worked fine when I zeroed it and it held zero for the half a season I hunted with it. I ended up selling it to buy mags and ammo since it was 2007 so I can’t offer a long term review.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    https://www.vintagegunscopes.com/
    This outfit will refurbish your scope or sell you one that has been. I have a K6 I mean to send them if I ever get around to it.
    First class outfit.

I purchased a Weaver 3x from them to mount on an Enfield. Couldn’t be happier.

Recently sent them a Weaver 4x for refurbishment.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List