Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustration is spelled “B8”

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Caleb, what are your thoughts on the OEM Trausch grips now that you've had a chance to put some serious time on the MR73?

Best, Jon
    I really like them. I don't grip them quite the way the French would likely want me to, since I end up with my hand pretty high on the faux beavertail. For a duty or competition revolver I think they're really good. For concealment they're an absolute train wreck, and print harder than Gutenberg making Bibles.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    print harder than Gutenberg making Bibles.
    Yep, I’ll be using that, yep, yep, yep.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Thanks! This kind of focus over an extended range session is exhausting. I do think if I'd been using a more accurate round I might have gotten the job done. The Federal 130gr FMJ is fine for IDPA and such, but if I was shooting a bullseye match or Bianchi Cup I'd want something else.
    That's not the most accurate .38 ammo ever made. I'd try some quality wadcutter ammo and see what you get. Those 99s are close enough that I think ammo dispersion got you the dropped points, not your aiming and triggering. I'll guess that the revolver is capable of just outside X ring accuracy off sandbags with match grade ammo.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    That's not the most accurate .38 ammo ever made. I'd try some quality wadcutter ammo and see what you get. Those 99s are close enough that I think ammo dispersion got you the dropped points, not your aiming and triggering. I'll guess that the revolver is capable of just outside X ring accuracy off sandbags with match grade ammo.
    I 100% agree. When I've done reviews of other revolvers, the 130gr American Eagle usually prints groups that are just average, nothing spectacular. Weirdly, some of the most accurate ammo I've shot is the Speer 158 grain +P FMJ, which has held really impressive groups out of a Colt Python and a Chiappa Match Master. I also have some of that good old Gold Medal Match full wadcutter laying around, but those are my carry ammo for my snub so I kind of don't want to burn them up on this.

Back when I was working at a range we had a 30rd 25yard challenge among the staff and members.

The RI carry permit test required that you score 170 out of 300 iirc on an army L.

My high was a 293 I think. I need to start doing that again. I liked starting with that then move on to drills.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Definitely this.

My recent production Colt GC National Match is very average with 230 grain production FMJ. My Glock 41 can print tighter than it will all day long with hardball.

Throw in some semi wadcutters made by someone that knows their way around a reloading bench and the Colt blossoms. It's like night and day.

Wink

Maybe you should try single action at 25 yards…

Spoken as a slightly infirm and moderately talented (I think) shooter.

Seriously, the shooting is excellent, and the 99s exceptional for double action-so, just kidding.
    Is it an ammo issue? Have you considered the old “trick” of just shooting one chamber six times?
    I kinda want one of these 73s….

A couple to try

I’ve shot some decent groups with Fiocchi 38G 158 FMJ RN and S&B 158 FMJ FP. Might be easier to find than the Federal GM wadcutters. If you can find the Winchester wadcutters, they are a good alternative to Federal. I shot a bunch back in my PPC days, and had no complaints accuracy wise.

Just checked and found the Fiocchi 38G available at a couple of vendors for .70 to .80 per round.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Maybe you should try single action at 25 yards…

Spoken as a slightly infirm and moderately talented (I think) shooter.

Seriously, the shooting is excellent, and the 99s exceptional for double action-so, just kidding.
    Is it an ammo issue? Have you considered the old “trick” of just shooting one chamber six times?
    I kinda want one of these 73s….
    It's definitely the ammo, Federal 130gr FMJ isn't the most accurate round out there, and I'm pretty sure I'm at the point where I've maxed out the inherent accuracy of the combo of round/sights/trigger

Put that puppy in a properly mounted Ransom Rest. Pleeease....

User Tag List