Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Extinguishers - Preparing for a Valid Threat

Sorry to hear about your trailer. I’m glad you and your wife weren’t hurt. I keep a small extinguisher in my car but I don’t know if it would have been adequate for a fire like this.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

OP great first paragraph. It is not fun or macho but a Suburban will likely save your life long before a firearm.

Glad everything turned out as well as it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Holy shit, Dan! I'm sorry that happened--but glad you and your wife are safe. Thanks for the detailed account.

Did ammo from your guns cook off in the fire?
    Yes.

25 Brennecke Slugs in a chest carrier plus 7 flight control 1B in the mag tube of an 870. Mag tube intact, shell carrier pushed down and back, melted magpul stock and foreararm.

30 rounds of 9mm - mag in an M&P plus extra mag. Melted frame of M&P, don't know if floorplates melted of mags or were pushed off by rounds popping, mag bodies pretty much intact.

I couldn't find my LCP.

ETA: I think the slugs in the chest plate melted down and burnt whereas the shells in the tube popcorned. I told the fireguys about the ammo and guns. Shortly after they started putting water on, what I assume were the nines started popping, kind of like the 4th.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 09-14-2021 at 11:08 PM.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Sad to see you lost your trailer, but glad to hear you're ok. Do you keep a spare CPAP machine?

As for the propane, I had a conversation with the County Fireman that does hazard assessments for companies in our industrial area, and he said as long as the vent's are facing up, it's ok. As the pressure builds in the tank, the pressure vent expels gas, which typically ignites but is harmless except for what's right above it. It'll continue to look like a flamethrower until the gas is expended. If the tanks are properly secured, staying away from them might be a good idea.

Maybe another FF can validate what I was told?
    Good info about the propane tanks venting.

No on the CPAP. Mine was less than 4 months old, my wife's was over five years old. Since hers was over five her health insurance is covering a new one. I had to buy mine, got it yesterday.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    I hate to hear this bad news. I'm glad you and your wife are ok.

I had to put out an oven fire this week. Coworkers were freaking out. Staying calm, as it was small, I tried smothering it with a damp towel first. Keeping calm is the first thing (it is only stuff). Also, remember to check your fire extinguishers!!!!
    They have a gauge for a reason, also tanks expire. And they are relatively CHEAP.
    Also realized I need to have a fireman friend, come in an teach the kids, how to use a fire extinguisher. We did go over the where the shutoffs are.
    Called that night and the fire extinguisher has been swapped.

Having lost an RV trailer to fire but not nearly as personally I feel for you. When my trailer burned PF guys offered to send me some of the books I’d lost… If there’s a book or dvd or thing you lost that you miss let me know in a PM… I’d be humbled to pay it forward.

I’m glad it was only things but it still sucks.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Glad you lived to tell the tale. Good reminder that I need to check all my extinguishers at the shop and at home. Heck, I need to make sure I still have extinguishers at the shop and at home.

I'm surely glad you didn't re-enter the trailer in an attempt to recover the weapons.
    Fire expands exponentially, and while you think you have time, alot of times you don't. Add to that the type of combustibles within the trailer, plastics, chip board, poly-bad-stuff foam in cushions and bedding...dare I say you could have perished from the smoke. As a firefighter, I've seen the results of folks who 'just had to get this', and ended up burned, or severe smoke inhalation.
    Possessions are replaceable, you are not. You accounted for the weapons, so all is good.

So glad that you and your wife are ok, and you had the presence of mind to disconnect and get the truck away. Kudos on the propane, and again, you came away uninjured.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Wow. Glad things worked okay for ya’ll. I take it the hitch on the trailer was not secured with a lock so it was just a matter of pulling a pin to unhitch? I’ve read some discussions about the relative merits of locks versus pins on some RV forums and this exact scenario (trailer fire) is the argument for ease of de-coupling.

User Tag List