Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Clipdraw: can anyone speak to how they’ve fared in FoF training?

As @BehindBlueI's stated, retention is more skill and software based, and while having some kind of retention aid built it to the holster is nice (one reason part of me still likes leather holsters - even though I never wear any for the most part), it is not the end all be all.

The true problem with the clipdraw has little to do with on belt retention. The issue is that it does not hold the gun in place particularly well when you are in compressed and entangled spaces. That is why I have strong doubts the person the OP was talking about has done any legit FoF work with truly resisting opponents with focused oppositional will, malevolent intent, and freedom to act as a bad guy really would act. 7 out of 10 times in any kind of entanglement - standing or on the ground - the gun will absolutely not be where you think it is, not will it be in a position that you can easily access and deploy it. I have worked extensively with a clipdraw because years ago I thought it may be a good solution. I can back up what I just wrote with years of testing and a metric ton of evolution repetitions with many people. When the guy spouting off he is good with it in a grappling situation, until he posts multiple video, I won't believe him.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    As @BehindBlueI's stated, retention is more skill and software based, and while having some kind of retention aid built it to the holster is nice (one reason part of me still likes leather holsters - even though I never wear any for the most part), it is not the end all be all.

The true problem with the clipdraw has little to do with on belt retention. The issue is that it does not hold the gun in place particularly well when you are in compressed and entangled spaces. That is why I have strong doubts the person the OP was talking about has done any legit FoF work with truly resisting opponents with focused oppositional will, malevolent intent, and freedom to act as a bad guy really would act. 7 out of 10 times in any kind of entanglement - standing or on the ground - the gun will absolutely not be where you think it is, not will it be in a position that you can easily access and deploy it. I have worked extensively with a clipdraw because years ago I thought it may be a good solution. I can back up what I just wrote with years of testing and a metric ton of evolution repetitions with many people. When the guy spouting off he is good with it in a grappling situation, until he posts multiple video, I won't believe him.

Thank you so much for providing your experiences with the clipdraw! Would you mind if I share your comment with this guy and attribute it to you?

Site Supporter
    How does one do Mexican appendix carry and not lose the weapon or have a mishap? I'm certain I must be missing something. The only guy I knew who did so shot off his right testicle.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    How does one do Mexican appendix carry and not lose the weapon or have a mishap? I'm certain I must be missing something. The only guy I knew who did so shot off his right testicle.
    The guy in question is doing so with a kydex trigger guard in addition to the clip draw, so other issues aside, he at least has a fully covered trigger while the gun is in his pants.

I think there are a whole bunch of very valid non combatives related reasons to use a real holster, but this guy says he’s pressure tested it in BJJ, so hopefully he will be more receptive to expert opinions in that arena.

Site Supporter
    I have a kydex trigger cover hook or support commonly seen on holsters. The hook fits over my belt. The Glock is inside the waist. Problem is drawing the pistol is difficult and awkward. Reholstering requires removing the holster. I use it for a trigger cover on a house gun.

User Tag List