Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: The Clipdraw: can anyone speak to how they’ve fared in FoF training?

  1. #1
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Louisville area

    The Clipdraw: can anyone speak to how they’ve fared in FoF training?

    If this is in the wrong sub forum please let me know.

    An individual in a certain Facebook group has been making claims about how well his clipdraw/trigger guard combo has worked in grappling, and I’m looking for some more data points surrounding that claim, which I am admittedly fairly skeptical of. Have any of you seen or personally used a clipdraw in a class like ECQC? How did it do?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    If this is in the wrong sub forum please let me know.

    An individual in a certain Facebook group has been making claims about how well his clipdraw/trigger guard combo has worked in grappling, and I’m looking for some more data points surrounding that claim, which I am admittedly fairly skeptical of. Have any of you seen or personally used a clipdraw in a class like ECQC? How did it do?

    Thanks in advance.
    I"m a non grappler. I have tried two different models of these and see no provision preventing another to gain control of the weapon. Once the other guy has it, all he has to do is jerk. A string attaches holster to belt and jerking will free the pistol. I now use one of these to serve as a trigger guard for a night stand Glock. I gave the other one away to a friend so he could use it in the same fashion. Perhaps the model referred to is different.

  3. #3
    I'll be interested to read the replies. I've never tried one grappling, but I'm just kind of uncomfortable using a holster without a trigger guard. I can't see this as being much better than any other holster/carrying system in FoF, but again, no experience with one.

  4. #4
    I have tried a Clipdraw on an LCP, a P32, a G42, LC9S and a Taurus Curve.

    Most of the time it rides too low and makes a draw very difficult. I suppose that could help retention but at expense of the draw so I’m not sure that’s a good trade off.

    It’s also very inconsistent with regards to gun placement as the high pivot point means the grip could go anywhere.
    Pointing at cardboard things.... CO GM, working on Open

  5. #5
    IS WHAT PLANTS CRAVE BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Midwest
    @SouthNarc demonstrates very positive weapon retention with no holster at all, showing that if one has the skill (and is conscious and able) hardware is very much a secondary concern. Maybe the fellow bragging about the clipdraw is just that good? I don't know how much difference between it and any number of open top friction retention only holsters would be.
    Important rule change regarding political discussion here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....58#post1151858

    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Maybe with talented students I would lube up with baby oil and then go at it.

  6. #6
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Louisville area
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    @SouthNarc demonstrates very positive weapon retention with no holster at all, showing that if one has the skill (and is conscious and able) hardware is very much a secondary concern. Maybe the fellow bragging about the clipdraw is just that good? I don't know how much difference between it and any number of open top friction retention only holsters would be.
    He may well be that good, but I figured I’d post here and try to get some more opinions on his statement.

    The gun he’s using is a Glock 27, so the big difference that I see between it and a kydex holster like say, a Henry holsters Flint, is that there’s much more material below the belt line when the gun is in the holster. It seems to me that more material below the belt (in addition to attachments to the belt that aren’t meant to slide off) would do a better job of keeping the gun in place in spite of movement or your opponent swiping their hip or something against the butt/rear sight of the gun.

    You make a very good point about Mr. Douglases demonstrations though.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    is that there’s much more material below the belt line when the gun is in the holster. It seems to me that more material below the belt (in addition to attachments to the belt that aren’t meant to slide off) would do a better job of keeping the gun in place in spite of movement or your opponent swiping their hip or something against the butt/rear sight of the gun.
    Those are exactly the attributes that also make it hard to draw when YOU want access to the gun as well.
    Pointing at cardboard things.... CO GM, working on Open

  8. #8
    Corporate Homunculus Guerrero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    The 414
    I don't have any experience with them myself, but I remember @Dagga Boy (Darryl Bolke) having them on at least one of his J-frames, and he's legit. For example, THIS POST from his Facebook page.
    Last edited by Guerrero; 09-15-2021 at 07:28 AM.
    Oversimplification is a very efficient way to make yourself stupid.

  9. #9
    My random thoughts that dont directly answer your question.

    I'm one of those people that is uncomfortable with a device that doesnt cover the trigger. In addition, the clip draw cant be attached if you have a gadget installed, which I do on my glock.

    However, after resisting for a few years, based on the recommendation of an LEO friend who uses one daily, I got one for my LCP. I'm still concerned about "surprises" but love it compared to my LCP holsters or pocket carry. But as JCN pointed out I dont get blazing draw speed using it, but its still faster than pocket carry.

    So while I dont have FOF experience with it yet, the good news is a clip draw is so cheap its a non issue to just buy it and try it. Think of it as a trivial tuition payment on the learning curve for FOF. My .02

  10. #10
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ABQ
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    @SouthNarc demonstrates very positive weapon retention with no holster at all, showing that if one has the skill (and is conscious and able) hardware is very much a secondary concern. Maybe the fellow bragging about the clipdraw is just that good? I don't know how much difference between it and any number of open top friction retention only holsters would be.
    This....I was very surprised at how Mexican Appendix carry worked on FoF evolutions. I went from "sold" to "super sold" based on those experiences. So much so that my eldest daughter has done IAJJ, and now that she is in her 20s ECQC is on the horizon. My second daughter will take @Cecil Burch 's IAJJ at first opportunity...

    I was shamedly carrying appendix with a fluffed and buffed Kel-Tec P9 about 20 years ago...

    pat

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •