Thread: 92X and Wraparound Grips for Original Feel

92X and Wraparound Grips for Original Feel

As someone who has completely ignored vertec gripped guns in favor of the original frame style, the feature list on the 92Xs is difficult to ignore. It helps that Beretta USA is focusing almost exclusively on them so the availability and price (even for G models) is great.

I wanted to get more thoughts on whether the vertec wraparound grip options can really make it feel like an original grip though. I am aware of this thread, and it sounds like Hogue G10 (who also make the Beretta OEM G10) is the way to go:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ip-Comparisons

With this setup are you really at the same trigger reach and overall feel as a standard grip? If that is the case then I would argue a G10 backstrap is probably better traction than a standard beretta checkered one, so there'd be no reason not to go for one.

Site Supporter
    I carried a 92X with the factory plastic wraparounds and an LTT RDO cut for a long time. My friend had an LTT RDO M9A3 with the Hogue wraparound.
    The Hogue Wraps mimic the feel of a full thickness 92FS grip well. Texture is decent.
    The 92X plastic wraparounds feel a lot like the thin LTT grips in shape and also have a very good, RTF2 texture. I prefer them to the Hogues. I hate Vertec grips personally.

Site Supporter
    To be clear, he had the Hogue G10 wraparound, not the rubber.

I have an M9A3. It is from the very first batch - made in MD before they moved.

I have the conversion grip on it - the rubber Hogue one. It is awesome. I do not like the Vertec grip. I have shot the gun both with and without the conversion grip. I shoot the gun better with it. I do not shoot as well with the Vertec grip.

I have not felt the ones that are sold with the 92X. But, Beretta USA makes the Hogue conversion grip forsale on their Beretta USA website. Both in black and in FDE.

It makes a huig difference to me. And, it does feel like the traditional Beretta grip. I always put Hogue rubber grip panels on all my 92 models. So, I like this grip in rubber.

Hammertime
    FWIW for my 92X pistols I settled on the Hogue G10 wrap around grips and they feel like any other standard 92 to me.

I compared my M9A3 w/ Beretta G10 wrap grips to my 92G w/ the grip that is scalloped at the top. Measuring w/ a caliper from the face of the trigger to the back of the top of the grip I get M9A3 = 2.890" and 92G = 2.870" so a .020" difference. I am measuring from one concave surface to another concave surface so I wiggle the calipers around to get them to settle into the smallest dimension. The 92G has an LTT NP3 TJIB so it could be that the trigger rest position is very slightly different from stock. Another slight difference is the height of the scalloped section. It is machined on the 92G and is formed by the grip panels on the M9A3.
    Vertec wrap grip vs 92g by craig stuard, on Flickr
    So, depending on hand size, there could be a slightly different feel there. But, having just sat here at the PC and gripping one gun vs the other maybe 10 times each, I'd say the feel is so close to the same that you have to study them to notice it.
    Also I agree w/ the OP saying one could argue that the G10 wrap grip could be better than the OE grip because the rear of the grip is G10 rather than machined aluminum. I have always disliked that 6mm wide strip between the grip panel and the checkering that is smooth. The big checkers on the M9A1 and EII help some but that smooth strip is still there so I install grip tape.
    Grip tape by craig stuard, on Flickr
    I used to put tape just on that smooth spot but it slowly moves so now I put it all the way across the grip w/ the edges tucked under the grip panels.

I have small hands. I cannot shoot an M9 frame as well. The gun is too big for my hands without that rear strap indentation that is on the 92FS/M9A1/92A1, etc.

So, I am very sensitive to that. To me, the M9A3 with the conversion grip brings my trigger finger a tiny bit further on the frame than a 92FS grip does. So, while your measurements say it is a little bigger. If feels smaller. I suppose it matters exactly where the measurement is being taken.

Last edited by Shipwreck; 09-16-2021 at 10:49 AM.

For me, the 92X plastic wraparounds feel more in shape like the VZ palm swell (and similar profile LTT/Wilson thin grips). I think they're very cost effective and I like them better than the the wider feeling Hogue rubbers. However, the texture on the plastic 92X grips does stick to cover garments. If you reach up high and your shirt rides up a bit, it can stick to the grips and not slide back down. I have a pair of 92DXR, and if I carried these, I would probably knock the texture down slightly with a scotchbrite pad or something.

I just got a set of the G10 Vertec conversion grips. Now I just need a Vertec frame Beretta to put them on

User Tag List