Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NEW CELL PHONE NEEDED

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post
    Update your iOS ASAP… for reasons.
    Wife and friend, both with company managed iPhones, were force fed security updates yesterday.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-a...e-immediately/
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Highly recommend getting out of the Apple and Google ecosystems and move over to a De-Googled phone using Graphene, Calyx, Lineage or Ubuntu touch.

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    Highly recommend getting out of the Apple and Google ecosystems and move over to a De-Googled phone using Graphene, Calyx, Lineage or Ubuntu touch.
    What phone would be best for that ? Why is this better ? I am massively ignorant on cell phones.
    Thanks.

Phones are like most other things discussed on the internet, the people that made a choice of platform ten years ago are just going to recommend their choice over and over and over again, and find all sorts of reasons to roast the other side to defend their choice, rather than sumo,unthinkable about what’s best for the person asking the question.

If you’re on the iOS platform and like it and don’t want to relearn a bunch of shit, and you’re coming off something as old as the 6, you’re probably not using nor do you probably care about all the MOAR that Apple has been packing into their newer offerings. Look into the SE. You’ll get MOAR than what you have now, granted in a larger package.

If you don’t think you can stomach the larger size (I didn’t think I could either when I got my current 10s, it turned out I was wrong) and are willing to cough up a bit more money, the 12 or 13 mini will cost more, have a lot MOAR, but be actually smaller than you current phone in some dimensions

An iPhone 12 mini with 128gb of storage is $650. $750 with 2x the storage at 256. As mentioned upthread, there are sure to be some used ones or even Apple refurbs coming soon-ish. Sounds like you can’t really wait around for that though.

The SE with 128gb of storage is $450. There is no 256 option, it tops out at 128.

By comparison, a 13 mini with 128gb is $699. It goes up to 512gb for $1k.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
    My iphone 11 spent 5 or 6 hours in around 18-25 inches of water once. We found it because the alarm started going off. So at least you wouldn't have that to worry about with a newer iphone.
    While I don’t plan to test it, they’re supposedly water resistant for a good bit.
    https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/app...sting-resilts/

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Phones are like most other things discussed on the internet, the people that made a choice of platform ten years ago are just going to recommend their choice over and over and over again.
    I started with an iPhone 4 and am now up to the 11. Haven’t seen a need to upgrade further since I don’t use or need a fraction of my phone or iPad’s bells and whistles. And like you said, “it works for me” so I’m not really willing to abandon iOS and start over with a new platform that does, for my purposes, pretty much the same thing.

Had I started with Android, I’d likely still be using that.

I was waiting to see what happened with the iPhone 13s. I currently have an iPhone 7 on Sprint and need to move to Verizon, they seem to have the best coverage in NH. I also use my phone for semi-serious video, and for me the 13 offers genuine advantages over the 12. I’ll probably go with a 13 Pro Max.

Phones are commodities. I’ll probably have this one for five years, too so buying a 12 would just reduce the length of time it will be viable and have decent trade in potential.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    What phone would be best for that ? Why is this better ? I am massively ignorant on cell phones.
    Thanks.
    Apple and google both collect enormous amounts of information from their users. A de-googled phone uses an android operating system that isn't part of the google ecosystem and doesn't pass that information back to google. I don't think there's an apple equivalent. What phone you use will depend on what android operating system you choose. There are a few phones you can buy that are de-googled for you but the choices are slim. The typical route is to select a phone and operating system combo that does what you want it to do. That means researching the various operating systems to see what phones they're compatible with and then picking the best (or least bad, depending on your perspective ) phone option and using the operating system that works on it. You have to load the operating system on the phone (or find a friend that does this kind of stuff who will do it for you, I guess).

I've been looking into this for several months now and will ultimately go down this path, but it's kind of a slog since I'm basically not a tech guy. Starting from being massively ignorant about cell phones, this is probably not going to be a great option for you unless you use one of the few phones you can find that are already de-googled.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Apple and google both collect enormous amounts of information from their users. A de-googled phone uses an android operating system that isn't part of the google ecosystem and doesn't pass that information back to google. I don't think there's an apple equivalent. What phone you use will depend on what android operating system you choose. There are a few phones you can buy that are de-googled for you but the choices are slim. The typical route is to select a phone and operating system combo that does what you want it to do. That means researching the various operating systems to see what phones they're compatible with and then picking the best (or least bad, depending on your perspective ) phone option and using the operating system that works on it. You have to load the operating system on the phone (or find a friend that does this kind of stuff who will do it for you, I guess).

I've been looking into this for several months now and will ultimately go down this path, but it's kind of a slog since I'm basically not a tech guy. Starting from being massively ignorant about cell phones, this is probably not going to be a great option for you unless you use one of the few phones you can find that are already de-googled.
    I'm at the point where I want some actual privacy, but they (purposely) make it difficult to achieve. I can give up IOS for an Android even though I think they are counterintuitive. But can a de-Googled phone still load various popular apps? Does loading the apps then in turn compromise privacy? I'm presuming there are some limitations that I'd need to be willing to live with to have this system.

I've already turned off all the various things the IOS allows you to disable, but I'm sure they still collect a ton of stuff. I've even been using duckduckgo for a few months but still see ads for things I've searched on ddg when logged into amazon or similar.

There is no such thing as privacy anymore. It's an illusion you might be sold, but I don't think it exists.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I'm at the point where I want some actual privacy, but they (purposely) make it difficult to achieve. I can give up IOS for an Android even though I think they are counterintuitive. But can a de-Googled phone still load various popular apps? Does loading the apps then in turn compromise privacy? I'm presuming there are some limitations that I'd need to be willing to live with to have this system.
    As I understand it (and I am far from an expert here - I've just been researching this stuff for my own use) a de-googled phone can still load a lot but not all of the popular apps. Which of those apps you can load may depend on which OS you choose. You won't be able to get any of them through google play (because de-googled), but there are other resources. Some of them will give you a basic privacy rating of the app itself and yes, downloading certain of those apps does compromise privacy. Moving away from apple and google definitely means giving up some of the things that a lot of people use every day and take for granted.

I agree with blues. Unless you're prepared to go completely off grid, only use cash, etc., etc., privacy is an illusion these days and the best you can do is decide what compromise works for you and your personal security and comfort. From a security perspective, I am no more at risk than the average joe. From a comfort perspective, I don't like the level of information gathering I'm currently subject to and will gradually reduce that where I reasonably (in the context of my life) can.

I have found these folks to be a useful and user friendly resource for me: https://techlore.tech/ Again, I'm not a tech guy, so take this all for what it's worth.

User Tag List