Thread: Cringeworthy?

Cringeworthy?

Name:  Screenshot_20210913-130319_Chrome.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  56.4 KB
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    By modern standards, absolutely.

I've booted field-grade Officers off of M9 ranges for similar poses and BS. It's a fucking weapon, not a camera prop for a neat fucking selfie.

Edit: Looking at the whole context, I'm grateful this guy is teaching new shooters - but he's doing them a grave disservice by allowing such poor muzzle discipline. I sincerely hope it becomes a lesson learned and a bad picture for them, and nothing more.

<sarcasm> Never! A YouTube gun celeb would *never* be part of anything cringeworthy. </sarcasm>

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    This is all over Instagram and I still don't know who that guy is.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    By modern standards, absolutely.

I've booted field-grade Officers off of M9 ranges for similar poses and BS. It's a fucking weapon, not a camera prop for a neat fucking selfie.

Edit: Looking at the whole context, I'm grateful this guy is teaching new shooters - but he's doing them a grave disservice by allowing such poor muzzle discipline. I sincerely hope it becomes a lesson learned and a bad picture for them, and nothing more.
    JRB - agree in principal but I would seriously wonder about the quality/level of training the fellow offered? If cutie pie's pictures, showing such callous disregard for basic firearms safety, I would suspect the level of training to be commensurate with his picture taking - if he is a state licensed instructor, I would suggest the state have a retraining session with him and/or pull his ticket for such asshattery.

Clinton House Plantation is in my neck of the woods - I just sent them an email w/link suggesting since their name is included in the picture posting they may want to review the scope of this gentleman's activities while on their premises

Name:  Asshattery.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  59.5 KB
    Last edited by tactical1; 09-13-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Site Supporter
    No idea who he is

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    This is all over Instagram and I still don't know who that guy is.
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    No idea who he is
    Dude that runs a gun review channel on youtube called "Sootch". Caters to the regular joe/low-information-voter type viewer.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tactical1 View Post
    JRB - agree in principal but I would seriously wonder about the quality/level of training the fellow offered? If cutie pie's pictures, showing such callous disregard for basic firearms safety, I would suspect the level of training to be commensurate with his picture taking - if he is a state licensed instructor, I would suggest the state have a retraining session with him and/or pull his ticket for such asshattery.

Clinton House Plantation is in my neck of the woods - I just sent them an email w/link suggesting since their name is included in the picture posting they may want to review the scope of this gentleman's activities while on their premises

More new shooters are more new shooters, and that is a good thing. It'd be my emphatic preference that modern safety standards are held universally in all things. I'll uphold that standard as best I can within my lane, and encourage others to do so as well. But if the only new shooter training was happening to that same standard, we'd have a shitload less new shooters every year.

I'm not offering that or anything else as an excuse of any kind - but many of us were taught how to shoot in an era when there was a much more cavalier approach to trigger discipline and muzzle discipline. This picture wouldn't have been out of place or considered unsafe in any way when I first learned to shoot pistols. Again, that is no excuse in a modern era, but I do 'remember where I came from'.
    I do see the current safety standards as an overwhelming improvement over that of days gone by, and I question the sanity (and skill level) of anyone who disagrees with that.
    But also being truthful of the modern era, it's unlikely that you can visit a public range on any given Saturday and NOT witness similar handling/safety violations. Only in truly professional instruction or well-run club events will you see modern best practices and safety standards universally upheld.

As I said, I sincerely hope all of those students become passionate shooters that seek out properly qualified, safe, truly professional instruction sooner rather than later - and look back on this picture and cringe too.

Asshattery

JRB - well said and I agree 100% A topic worthy of discussion over several drinks and cigars!

Part of my concern was a well respecting shooting facility being named with perhaps some liabilities if this fellow is not a safe/certified instructor. Unfortunately, as you know, many new shooters are unable to distinguish the quality of their instructors as they have no basis for comparison.

I suspect we both have trained under some great instructors and some that we would not recommend to referee a dog fight!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Dude that runs a gun review channel on youtube called "Sootch". Caters to the regular joe/low-information-voter type viewer.
    I've watched some his prepping videos just to make myself feel better about my self.

Definitely in the plenty of cash and small in experience realm.

User Tag List