Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Irons and Red Generational User Question

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    That brings to mind another needed improvement.

Nikon (and I’m sure other photographic and optical companies) have been pushing out new lens coatings that repel spooge and oils. I think I’ve seen them offered on high end eyeglasses, too.

This is something that would be very useful on RDS.
    Something something spooge resistant eyeglasses, something something.

Dirty mind wandered off somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

Dirty mind wandered off somewhere.
    I can see that, on its face.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

... new lens coatings that repel spooge and oils.
    I can see that, on its face.

It doesn't matter, @JCN! You never dick a guy in the shooter! Everyone knows that! Dicking a guy in the shooter!? That's just...that's just weak...I can't believe you, @JCN.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

^ my take on this discussion.

All LOUD NOISES aside, my biggest complaint with every single optic I've tried is lack of useable auto adjust. The dots I've used, if turned bright enough to be seen against a light colored background/target in full sunlight, are completely unusable in dim light - the flare washes out the ability to see the target.

The auto adjust models I've tried have either been not responsive enough to rapidly changing light conditions (e.g. moving from well lit/out doors to indoor to dim indoors), or unable to "brighten" when shooting from a dim location at a target that's brightly lit.

When someone fixes this problem, I'll give it another go. If you can put it in a package with a window the size of the SRO, with the durability of an Aimpoint, and battery life that's measured in months, not days, those would be pluses.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I feel the same. I prefer iron sights on handguns. I’m enjoying playing in Carry Optics, but do not plan to switch either for competition or carry.

There’s an obvious advantage to RDS for some types of shooting, but I reject that dots are superior to irons in every context.

I have no patience for fooling with battery life, dot zeros, replacing screws, and failed optics.

Fortunately my vision remains excellent for iron sights, and my optometrist says it’s likely to stay that way.
    +1 and the bolded part is #1 for me. I prefer simplicity in weapons and that's not what I'm seeing from the high tempo optic enthusiasts. I totally get the top of the food chain in public sector combatants are leveraging the optics advantages. I ain't them, nor can I drop off any problems with the unit armorer and use the identical 2nd or 3rd spare.

Re the OP, it may well be generational to some extent in my case.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I’d like to add my take/thought(s), which is a little apathetic: I have no doubt that a pistol optic would increase my performance and capability but I’m currently mildly satisfied with my on-demand performance and would prefer to use the time and money necessary for a transition to pursue other experiences in life.
    Me too. I think my first use case for an optic one of these days will be for hunting or as a secondary small bag toted PDW (which is a concept that is more appealing to me than an AR pistol, but I don't really need I don't reckon).
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

For me, it’s a practical issue because as my eyes age the RDS becomes easier to use than irons.
    +1 I thought that was me about a year ago, that my vision was hitting critical mass for shit. Then last Fall got double cataract surgeries and I have terrific distance vision and very workable sight pictures. Best in years.

It sounds weird but I wish I'd gotten those cataracts 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    All LOUD NOISES aside, my biggest complaint with every single optic I've tried is lack of useable auto adjust. The dots I've used, if turned bright enough to be seen against a light colored background/target in full sunlight, are completely unusable in dim light - the flare washes out the ability to see the target.

The auto adjust models I've tried have either been not responsive enough to rapidly changing light conditions (e.g. moving from well lit/out doors to indoor to dim indoors), or unable to "brighten" when shooting from a dim location at a target that's brightly lit.

When someone fixes this problem, I'll give it another go. If you can put it in a package with a window the size of the SRO, with the durability of an Aimpoint, and battery life that's measured in months, not days, those would be pluses.
    As an aside, the best auto light sensors I’ve found are the RMR and the RMSc.

Both have been excellent for me in a variety of lighting conditions.

You do have to take care that the sensor is clean and unobstructed for best performance.

Holosun’s light sensor isn’t very good.

For the extreme case of sitting in darkness and shooting to a bright sunny outside, accurate BUIS are helpful in that case.

As an aside, the best auto light sensors I’ve found are the RMR and the RMSc.

Both have been excellent for me in a variety of lighting conditions.

You do have to take care that the sensor is clean and unobstructed for best performance.

Holosun’s light sensor isn’t very good.

For the extreme case of sitting in darkness and shooting to a bright sunny outside, accurate BUIS are helpful in that case.
    Agree on the RMR and RMSc on auto function, although I am more inclined to pick a manual setting and go with it. Neither Aimpoint or Eotech have offered auto on their carbine optics, and that hasn’t held back their proliferation.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List