Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Could use some help on .44 Special mild loads.

Oregon Bullets have informed me that my bullets are on the way. I do have a few of the powders you guys have suggested like Red Dot, Blue Dot, Unique, Bullseye, Power Pistol and a couple more. One other thing, I was wondering about using the .44 special cases in the mag cylinder because of the carbon buildup. I was thinking .44 special cases because of powder capacity in the larger mag case would not be desirable. But with bulkier powder that may not be an issue. Maybe I will stick with the mag brass. Boy this is going to be great playing with all of these powder/ bullet combinations. I'll be shooting for weeks. LOL. I also have a nice selection of primers, so do any of you prefer one over the other? I doubt a mag primer will be necessary for any of these loads. I did have a gun once that produced light strikes and switched to federal primers and the problem went away. Once again thanks for all of your suggestions and loads you have provided. It's appreciated.

Site Supporter
    I don't think the gun's going to care which cases you use, just be careful to load the Specials with Special data and the Magnums with Magnum data. I've got one .44 Special and one .44 Magnum and enough brass for each to have its own load. This thread has reminded me that I need to burn through my old .44 Mag hunting loads so I can download the Mag cases to more reasonable levels for my 69-year-old self who no longer hunts.

Concern about residue from shooting Special ammo in Magnum chambers is overblown, IMHO. It comes out easily with a chamber brush.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcarman View Post
    I have a model 29 that I enjoy shooting very much, but after a few rounds of 240grs at 1100-1200 I have to set it down for awhile. I picked up a couple of hundred .44 Special brass in the hopes of coming up with a reduce load that will allow me to shoot this revolver more. To reduce the recoil I have settled on Oregon Trails 200gr cast bullet. Looking on the net I've only seen three powders that guys have recommended Red Dot, Titegroup and Power Pistol. You guys that shoot the .44 Special, what combination do you use? I was hoping to find a load that's accurate in the 700 to maybe 850 f.p.s. range. Any and all suggestions or advise is welcomed. Thank you. BCM
    @Outpost75 should have some very solid information for you when he sees this!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Boxcarman View Post
    I have a model 29 that I enjoy shooting very much, but after a few rounds of 240grs at 1100-1200 I have to set it down for awhile. I picked up a couple of hundred .44 Special brass in the hopes of coming up with a reduce load that will allow me to shoot this revolver more. To reduce the recoil I have settled on Oregon Trails 200gr cast bullet. Looking on the net I've only seen three powders that guys have recommended Red Dot, Titegroup and Power Pistol. You guys that shoot the .44 Special, what combination do you use? I was hoping to find a load that's accurate in the 700 to maybe 850 f.p.s. range. Any and all suggestions or advise is welcomed. Thank you. BCM
    There is no need to use .44 Special brass unless you want to use it for positive load identification. The .44 Magnum has very close to the same powder capacity as the .44-40 Winchester and the same mild loads recommended for older .44-40 revolvers and black powder action rifles can be used without issue in .44 Magnum brass, provided you use bullets of proper diameter which "fit" the cylinder throats.

Soft alloy of 8-10 BHN will work best. While 200-grain bullets will reduce recoil, point of impact in revolvers will be lower.

5.5-6.0 grains of Trail Boss, Bullseye, TiteGroup, 700-X, WST or Red Dot are all safe minimum starting loads with 200-230-grain bullets giving about 750-800 fps from typical revolvers. I do not recommend slower-burning flake powders such as Unique in minimum reduced load applications below 14,000 psi because ignition will be erratic, given the amount of free airspace in the case, and combustion will not be complete.

The above charges can also be used in .44 Special brass for use in a strong revolver like your S&W Model 29, but in the smaller-capacity case should be considered "full charge" loads.

I loaded up 200 rounds of 44Spcl before I realized I could load essentially the same load using 44Mag brass. I'm done loading 44Spcl once I'm done shooting those up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Forget the Special cases.
    44RM Cat Sneezes: 200gr Brazos Precision RNFP over 6.9gr Universal gives me 775fps in my 6.5" M629, and is pretty accurate for me. I use them to warm up for full house magnum loads.

Nope. Slower velocity = longer barrel time. Projectile stays in the rising barrel longer, so POI is high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Wait, my light loads always shoot high. Am I doing something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post

As long as you scrub your gun every now and then, it won't care in the least bit about whether or not you are using Russian cases, Special cases, or Magnum cases. I use all three , and just like shooting .38 Specials in .357s for decades, it has never been an issue.

There are a BUNCH of powders that will do what you ask.

5 grains of Titegroup will get you about 775 FPS with a 200 grain bullet and recoil will be like shooting light .38 wadcutters.

6 grains of Unique is another good one, at around 775, depending on barrel length

Also you may find this thread of value:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-into-a-45-ACP!

It is about loading light .44 Russian loads for .44 mags/Specials.

User Tag List