Thread: Any experience with Preferred Barrel Blanks?

Any experience with Preferred Barrel Blanks?

I am trying to get my American Rifle Company action and chassis system up and running and I need to get my action barreled. I saw a video for Preferred Barrel Blanks and they have prefit barrels for my ARC Nucleus Action.

Picture of the chassis, trigger and action:

Name:  IMG_20200701_092509-1.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  102.8 KB

I also need to decide what to get the barrel chambered in. I am torn between 6.5 Manbun (Creedmoor), .308 Win, or one of the smaller 6mm Brenchrest rounds.

Then all I will need is magazines, rings, and a scope.

I don't know anything about PBB, so Can't help you there.

In regards to your question as to what you want to chamber it in, some more info is needed before an informed recommendation could be made, beyond what usually happens on forums which is " I have X, so therefore you should get what I have".

What is the primary purpose of the rifle?
    What are your accuracy expectations?
    How far out do you intend to shoot?
    Will it be a paper puncher or a dual purpose target and hunter?
    If so, what is the largest animal you intend to take?
    How many rounds do you expect to fire in a year/3 years?

If you are going to shoot a hundred rounds a month, a 6.5 Whiteclaw might not be optimal unless you are ready to buy a new barrel and replace it in 2 years (2,400 rounds). It all depends on your use and what is important. To some guys that is absolutely just fine.

The 6.5 has a lot going for it. Low recoil, great accuracy, excellent factory support (though components can be tough right now) but long barrel life is not one of its attributes.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    PBB is MatchGradeMachine under a different DBA. MGM has been making quality custom Contender barrels for many years. I have had phenomenal customer service from them. Wouldn't hesitate to do business.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I don't know anything about PBB, so Can't help you there.

In regards to your question as to what you want to chamber it in, some more info is needed before an informed recommendation could be made, beyond what usually happens on forums which is " I have X, so therefore you should get what I have".

If you are going to shoot a hundred rounds a month, a 6.5 Whiteclaw might not be optimal unless you are ready to buy a new barrel and replace it in 2 years (2,400 rounds). It all depends on your use and what is important. To some guys that is absolutely just fine.

The 6.5 has a lot going for it. Low recoil, great accuracy, excellent factory support (though components can be tough right now) but long barrel life is not one of its attributes.
    What is the primary purpose of the rifle?

Poking holes in paper, learning how to shoot long range.

What are your accuracy expectations?

I would like the gun to shoot sub MOA, and I would really like it to be +/- .5 MOA. I don't think I will be able to shoot it that well to start, but I would like the mechanical capability to be there.

How far out do you intend to shoot?

I would like to go to 1K yards/meters.

Will it be a paper puncher or a dual purpose target and hunter?

Paper puncher. I have a 6.5 Rem Mag and 30-06 for hunting

If so, what is the largest animal you intend to take?

N/A

How many rounds do you expect to fire in a year/3 years?

Probably not as many as I would like.

I think I am likely suffering from paralysis through analysis.

6.5CM is a fine choice. If you take it easy and keep your shot strings slow, that barrel will give you long life. Besides, in the grand scheme of all the things you will be purchasing, a new barrel doesn't add a lot to the equation.

No personal experience with PBB but I recently saw someone having issues with their barrels on SH LINKY

It sounds like their customer service took care of the issue right away.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I am trying to get my American Rifle Company action and chassis system up and running and I need to get my action barreled. I saw a video for Preferred Barrel Blanks and they have prefit barrels for my ARC Nucleus Action.

Picture of the chassis, trigger and action:

Name:  IMG_20200701_092509-1.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  102.8 KB

I also need to decide what to get the barrel chambered in. I am torn between 6.5 Manbun (Creedmoor), .308 Win, or one of the smaller 6mm Brenchrest rounds.

Then all I will need is magazines, rings, and a scope.
    Looks like a fun rig! No experience with Preferred but I’ve read the same good things on the various long range forums as the rest here. I would also advocate for the 6.5 Basic. If you weren’t really trying to get out to 1K, I would say the .308 is also a fine choice, but it’s really got nothing that drives you to it over the 6.5 other than bullet selection. I understand the others concerns re barrel life and would argue the 6.5 is the best compromise with the benefits of the CM case designs and the longest barrel life of all the CM cartridges when compared to the 6mm and now .22 chamberings.

And if you can’t decide on a chambering, good luck on picking out glass!!! (Can’t go wrong with proven Nightforce, Vortex, Bushnell in price order, other great options too but I recommend those to keep guys from being overwhelmed with options)

User Tag List