Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Donkey or Llama for predator problem?

Donkey or Llama for predator problem?

This is way out of my wheelhouse. A friend just got back into sheep and chickens. He has an Eastern Black Bear problem. They were told a donkey or a llama would be a good protector. They have a female Great Dane who is a pussy cat. I heard they are looking for a donkey or a llama. My thoughts are both animals would dinner for a determined bear.

A casual Google search says both donkeys and llamas are used as livestock guardians but not effective against bears. Anyone have any knowledge on the subject.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.

Cool

I'd think a Llama Super Commanche in .44 with that 10" barrel would do fine for black bears.

My wuss of a golden-doodle has chased a black bear out of the yard several times! I would go with a donkey, because they don't spit luggies at you.

Site Supporter
    After watching a video of donkeys being used for livestock protection, I would cautiously go with the donkey. But alpacas are cuter.

And get a dang 12g and be serious about it.

Site Supporter
    I've seen a few videos of donkeys whooping up on hyenas. Though they don't have claws like a black bear they have a greater bite force. If the donkey is demented it could go after the sheep though.
    Adam

A moose once bit my sister…but later, something about training llamas.

Moose bites can be pretty nasty but tell her to stop Karving her initials on the moose.

We've had a donkey with our goats for about 5 years now. Our concerns are much more about canines than black bear, though we do have a few bears in the county as shown by the half dozen or so bear hunting kills per year. Ours is a jenny and I would recommend looking for a gelding instead of a jenny. Our donkey is very sweet most of the time, but when she's in heat she can get a bit mean with the goats. Last night she was chasing them around. She doesn't do them any harm. They're much faster and more agile. But still it's not ideal.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    A moose once bit my sister…but later, something about training llamas.
    The people responsible for sending this message....have been sacked.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'd be thinking about a pair of Rottweilers. They're herding dogs, so I'd think they'd be good with sheep. Have never heard about them with chickens.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List