Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Donkey or Llama for predator problem?

Site Supporter

Donkey or Llama for predator problem?

This is way out of my wheelhouse. A friend just got back into sheep and chickens. He has an Eastern Black Bear problem. They were told a donkey or a llama would be a good protector. They have a female Great Dane who is a pussy cat. I heard they are looking for a donkey or a llama. My thoughts are both animals would dinner for a determined bear.

A casual Google search says both donkeys and llamas are used as livestock guardians but not effective against bears. Anyone have any knowledge on the subject.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the rainbow tunnel, somewhere north of fantasyland.

Cool

I'd think a Llama Super Commanche in .44 with that 10" barrel would do fine for black bears.

My wuss of a golden-doodle has chased a black bear out of the yard several times! I would go with a donkey, because they don't spit luggies at you.

Site Supporter
    After watching a video of donkeys being used for livestock protection, I would cautiously go with the donkey. But alpacas are cuter.

And get a dang 12g and be serious about it.

Site Supporter
    I've seen a few videos of donkeys whooping up on hyenas. Though they don't have claws like a black bear they have a greater bite force. If the donkey is demented it could go after the sheep though.
    Adam

A moose once bit my sister…but later, something about training llamas.

Moose bites can be pretty nasty but tell her to stop Karving her initials on the moose.
    “Those who control the present, control the past and those who control the past control the future.”

― George Orwell, 1984

We've had a donkey with our goats for about 5 years now. Our concerns are much more about canines than black bear, though we do have a few bears in the county as shown by the half dozen or so bear hunting kills per year. Ours is a jenny and I would recommend looking for a gelding instead of a jenny. Our donkey is very sweet most of the time, but when she's in heat she can get a bit mean with the goats. Last night she was chasing them around. She doesn't do them any harm. They're much faster and more agile. But still it's not ideal.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the rainbow tunnel, somewhere north of fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    A moose once bit my sister…but later, something about training llamas.
    The people responsible for sending this message....have been sacked.

Old man yelling at cloud OlongJohnson's Avatar
    "carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'd be thinking about a pair of Rottweilers. They're herding dogs, so I'd think they'd be good with sheep. Have never heard about them with chickens.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List