Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slide Milling for Sig P series

@Sero Sed Serio: Thanks for the offer. I was hoping to direct mill for a Holosun 507C without a plate. An Acro mount may be an apples to oranges proposition. I'll wait and see it goes with you and Wright.
    @Lon: I found a picture of the Sig Romero factory slide. The hole is definitely there with even their high riding RMR.

Jagerwerks did my p09 with an rmr cut. I'm running an sro and just passed 1k without any issues so far.

https://jagerwerks.com/cz-p07-09/
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Vulcan Machine Werks is local to me here in DFW. They've milled one P-09 and one P-07 slide for RMR/Holosuns, which included custom milling of a Glock rear sight dovetail. Fit is tight, he mills the bosses (front posts), and was very helpful in the process. I've been very happy with them and can't think of any reason to use anyone else.

I vaguely seem to recall reading that Vulcan does the slide milling work for The SIG Armorer (also local), tho I'm not sure. If that's the case, I'm sure he knows his way around P-series SIGs. They have three or four SIGs in the slide show on the bottom of this page.

I'd be surprised if there's no adapter plate for Romeo1 => RMR.

Random thoughts on the P-07/09. The P-07 is the same size a a Glock 19. The extra width of decokers make the width spec look wider than actually is. The P-09 is taller than a Glock 17, but holds two extra rounds. Grip could use more aggressive texture. It's a bit lighter than the P-series SIGs and a bit heavier than Glocks. Installing a RDS isn't complicated. My SIGs came with really nice triggers that didn't need any work. I'm happy with the P-07 after a CGW trigger kit, a lighter spring and a fair bit of dry fire/live fire to work the trigger in.

Cheers,
    David S.
    David S.

Great answers here already. I am considering sending one of my 3 P-07s to JagerWerks for slide milling for an RMR2.

I like the P-07 for a variety of reasons.

1. Very reliable, simple action that I can detail strip easily.
    2. Ergonomics similar to my competition guns (CZ Shadow2). I can shoot the P07 better than any compact I've tried--in part because it's a great gun, but probably mainly because I have so many hours behind a similar gun.
    3. Ergonomics similar enough to Glock that I can go back and forth without any difficulty. The grip angles are not that different. I find Sigs and Berettas to be problematic with their vertical angle grips.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    Would be curious about your thoughts on why the CZ is better than the SIG. I have been intrigued by the P07/P09 guns, especially as an alternative to the P226/P229 guns that seem to take most of the effort out of shooting for me, but haven't delved into actually picking one up. Please, enable me...
    Here goes - first and foremost, fuck Sig. I wouldn’t give them a dime of $$. They’re a morally bankrupt company. I carried one because I had to so I set it up the best way I could. Any company that knowingly hides the fact that their pistols have issues and still sell them to police agencies can eat a bag of dicks. And I’m not talking about the 320 debacle.

Now that that’s out of the way, I preferred the 07 (I had and didn’t care for the 09) for a few reasons. 1. A CGW trigger and pro grade kit was the bomb. I got the pistol and upgraded the trigger for less than what a non upgraded new Sig was running at the time. If you’re LE, CGW and CZ both have blue label programs. 2. Grip size. I have smedium sized hands and I never really found a grip/trigger combination that I preferred w the 229. The best I found was aluminum Hogue grips and a short trigger with the SRT. With the 07 (and the P10c) the grip felt like it was made for my smedium sized hands. 3. Sight tracking. Whether you believe the whole height over bore thing or not, I was always able to track the dot better with the 07. 4. The 07 “pointed” better to me. 5. I like the placement of the slide release and decocker better on the CZ. For almost 20 years I fought with the damn slide release on my Sig duty guns. My short ass thumb was in a perfect place to ride on the slide release so my slide never locked back. Too many years of running 1911/2011s with my thumb on the safety. I’ve finally gotten to the point where that’s not an issue anymore. New muscle memory.

Anything my 229 could do, I could do better with my 07. I ran it in classes, games, off duty, you name it. I think the most fun I had w my 07 was shooting the Ft Benning 3 Gun match with it. Appendix from concealment against full blown open guns.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

@Clusterfrack, would you agree that the P-07/9 back straps change grip angle more than trigger reach? It seems to me the grip angle is especially Glockish with the large back strap and fairly vertical with the small back strap.

Anyway, some pics.

Name:  D0B115EF-8BC2-4A2B-A768-9061E68ACB8D.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  63.3 KB

Name:  3D6251C4-EC53-401B-B38B-C854E7A4A0F2.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  32.3 KB

Loaded with 16 rds of 147g HST.

Name:  1E2FDABD-9D34-48E3-ABE2-BD403F7ED061.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  58.4 KB
    David S.

Name:  1DB82BB2-5AF0-48BE-8C01-335F9698EAA3.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  80.8 KB
    Name:  41CD33C5-1E55-4C8B-8A9C-2E189B5AAFAC.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  55.9 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Slide Milling for Sig P series

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    @Clusterfrack, would you agree that the P-07/9 back straps change grip angle more than trigger reach? It seems to me the grip angle is especially Glockish with the large back strap and fairly vertical with the small back strap.
    Good question. I think effective grip angle depends on hand size in CZs and Glocks. I use the small backstrap, and my strong hand wrist angle is pretty similar for P-07 and Glock 19. I feel like grip angle is determined more by the curvature of the upper backstrap/beavertail part of the grip than it is by the lower grip area (see yellow lines of the same angle in the image below).

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Here goes - first and foremost, fuck Sig. I wouldn’t give them a dime of $$. They’re a morally bankrupt company. I carried one because I had to so I set it up the best way I could. Any company that knowingly hides the fact that their pistols have issues and still sell them to police agencies can eat a bag of dicks. And I’m not talking about the 320 debacle.

Now that that’s out of the way, I preferred the 07 (I had and didn’t care for the 09) for a few reasons. 1. A CGW trigger and pro grade kit was the bomb. I got the pistol and upgraded the trigger for less than what a non upgraded new Sig was running at the time. If you’re LE, CGW and CZ both have blue label programs. 2. Grip size. I have smedium sized hands and I never really found a grip/trigger combination that I preferred w the 229. The best I found was aluminum Hogue grips and a short trigger with the SRT. With the 07 (and the P10c) the grip felt like it was made for my smedium sized hands. 3. Sight tracking. Whether you believe the whole height over bore thing or not, I was always able to track the dot better with the 07. 4. The 07 “pointed” better to me. 5. I like the placement of the slide release and decocker better on the CZ. For almost 20 years I fought with the damn slide release on my Sig duty guns. My short ass thumb was in a perfect place to ride on the slide release so my slide never locked back. Too many years of running 1911/2011s with my thumb on the safety. I’ve finally gotten to the point where that’s not an issue anymore. New muscle memory.

Anything my 229 could do, I could do better with my 07. I ran it in classes, games, off duty, you name it. I think the most fun I had w my 07 was shooting the Ft Benning 3 Gun match with it. Appendix from concealment against full blown open guns.
    Appreciate the breakdown. 100% agree re: fuck SIG, and fuck SIG since 2006 or so (i.e. Cohen SIG). I scour the interwebz for one-piece stainless slide SIGs from before their QC went to shit, but won't touch a current production gun, both in terms of quality and morality.

But your analysis of the P07 is compelling. I've picked up a pair of P10S optics ready guns, and already have some P10C/P07 mags on hand, so it's not a huge jump to the P07, which checks a lot of boxes size-wise, and I like a current-production DA/SA gun, especially when 9mm P229s from that era are vaporware (I've picked up 2 new/old stock from the late 90s, and suspect my wait for another one can be measured in years, and at a price that probably compares to 2x Cajunized P07s with optics)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    @[COLOR=#3A3A3A]Sero Sed Serio: Thanks for the offer. I was hoping to direct mill for a Holosun 507C without a plate. An Acro mount may be an apples to oranges proposition. I'll wait and see it goes with you and Wright.
    Completely agree. I'll let you know how everything goes, but so far as a legit gunsmithing source (as opposed to a parts installer), they seem both good-to-go, and willing to take on new and interesting projects. Right now they're milling a stainless DA/SA P226 frame to accept DAK parts, and took the project on without batting an eye. Hoping to have the finished product in hand in a few weeks, which will be the true test, of course.

User Tag List