Thread: Closure for nylon bag to replace zipper

Closure for nylon bag to replace zipper

We have one of those pop-up shelters, and the bag it came in is pretty good, but the zipper sucks.

I’d like to replace the method of closure, with little to no sewing, so I can keep using this bag. I *don’t* want to replace or fix the zipper as that’s just going to either be too involved or keep breaking.

I was hoping do do maybe a series of buckles, or grommets, or something like that? But again, would like to avoid having to sew anything. Maybe I could rivet in some webbing with buckles attached? I’m pretty sure I have a bag full of plastic spare (or maybe, repair?) buckles from my Larping days.

Pulled out some larger grommets I have but started to get concerned that they were TOO big and that poking holes in the bag would just lead to fraying and more damage.

Any other ideas? I know we have some amateur, and maybe even pro, stitch bitches here that have to know of something I don’t…

Pic of separated zipper, in case it helps. Again, NOT looking to fix or replace the zipper. Done with zippers. Not a good fit for beach gear.

Name:  83C94BF2-D8EA-44CA-8985-927CF9262448.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  48.4 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

This?

How about a couple of large Velcro straps around the outside?

https://smile.amazon.com/Reusable-Ci...1458420&sr=8-5

Site Supporter
    Most bags and zippers in that space are marginal on their best day,particularly if the zipper is not made by YKK. While I cannot tell by looking for sure, while that fabric looks like a nylon cordura, it is really more paper like and will shred/tear when stressed, repeatedly subjected to water etc.

The A-Tier Solution is to buy a new to you duffle/sports bag at a thrift store. 5.00 all day long in these parts. IIRC, somebody in your world was playing softball such that a repurposed softball/baseball duffle may be ideal as they often have an elongated area for bats that may therefore be long enough to accommodate and poles/structure for your beach shelter.

B-Tier is to close the bag as best you can with the above recommended velcro straps or other types of nylon lashing straps often used to attach items to backpacks etc. Notably, the cost of which buying new would likely exceed the thrift store suggestion and/or repurpose suggestion made above.

C-Tier would be to use trash bags and/or extension cords lying about.

I bass all recommendations on 10+ years of Scouting and seeing the same/similar bags styles give up the ghost when the boys fail to properly repack their tents/gear and/or it is a commmentary on the shoddy nature of many include accessory bags/zipper combos.

PS-Just go to the thrift store-you got summer and old stuff that needs to be gone anyway!
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    If the shelter is good and worthy it maybe find a tent/awning company and have them stich a better quality bag for it? If the cost of the new bag is great it may be most cost effective replace the whole thing. If its China made that may be likely. Or bungee cords, duct tape, or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    How about a couple of large Velcro straps around the outside?

https://smile.amazon.com/Reusable-Ci...1458420&sr=8-5
    We have similar.

I’d like to keep using the big, if i can, for a variety of reasons.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    We have similar.

I’d like to keep using the big, if i can, for a variety of reasons.
    No I meant use the bag and put the straps around the bag/awning combo.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    No I meant use the bag and put the straps around the bag/awning combo.
    There’s not really a good way to use those to hold the bag shut.

Even if wrapped around the bag flap, I don’t think they’ll stay put.

Long story.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    There’s not really a good way to use those to hold the bag shut.

Even if wrapped around the bag flap, I don’t think they’ll stay put.

Long story.
    I think an awning is bumpy enough it would.

Otherwise industrial Velcro strips and staples.

But like people said, just get a canvas duffle and you can use a strap to cinch it.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    If I didn't want to fix it, I'd probably just forget adding closures to the bag and use lashing straps.

https://www.rei.com/product/848428/r...s-package-of-2

If it has to be integrated into the bag, hook and eye closures are cheap and wouldn't get clogged by sand. I guess you could find some you could rivet if they wouldn't get enough strain to pull through the unreinforced material.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List