Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical Accuracy of Polymer-framed Pistols vs. Metal Pistols

In for later. You guys are all way more experienced than I am, but from the reading ive done, it seems like polymer is fine. Think of the tons of PD that run them around the world without much issue

I think a Gen 5 with the breech face cut and +P stacks the odds in your favor.

Right off, my wife and I (and there is video of her doing this) tried to induce a stoppage with the new G5 23 barely holding on, support hand only, and couldn’t make it choke.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    From my un-scientific. But somewhat mechanical knowledge ass. It’s about the whole system. Cartridge,frame,the shooter. People can choke a Benelli by introducing to much strength to the system. I think. If the question is. What gun is going to malfunction the least under the most stress, due to shooter influence, there’s a lot of parameters that won’t be measurable. Maybe that’s why daryl bolke like revolvers so much. The human spins the action.

Site Supporter
    When I first bought my Glock 26, I was still not fully out from the delusion of revolvers being more reliable than semiautos. I intentionally tried to limp wrist it. The only way I could induce a jam was holding the gun in my weak hand, using my middle finger only to hold the gun, and keeping that finger very unnaturally loose.

There is nothing about polymer that makes it any more susceptible than anything else to limp twisting. If the frame flexed that much, it would not function even when held correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    When I first bought my Glock 26, I was still not fully out from the delusion of revolvers being more reliable than semiautos. I intentionally tried to limp wrist it. The only way I could induce a jam was holding the gun in my weak hand, using my middle finger only to hold the gun, and keeping that finger very unnaturally loose.

There is nothing about polymer that makes it any more susceptible than anything else to limp twisting. If the frame flexed that much, it would not function even when held correctly.

Yes that’s what I was trying to say about people who can choke a benelli. Polymers actually pretty stiff. It’s the other factors that are going to make it choke. Limp wrist or all those test with one finger here or there are meaningless when it comes down to it. For suggestion. If the gun fails because the shooter cannot hang onto the gun. Or the shooter can over power the gun. How is it the guns fault? You can hang on with these crazy tests of what finger was where and what ammo. Guns jam. At the most unfortunate time. Maybe due to lint in a pocket carry unmaintained revolvers wherever.
    Last edited by camel; 09-12-2021 at 12:01 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Yes that’s what I was trying to say about people who can choke a benelli. Polymers actually pretty stiff. It’s the other factors that are going to make it choke. Limp wrist or all those test with one finger here or there are meaningless when it comes down to it.
    The only thing the one finger tests show is how far one must deviate from how the gun will actually be used before things start going wrong, recognizing that things might not go perfectly when you really need it.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    The only thing the one finger tests show is how far one must deviate from how the gun will actually be used before things start going wrong, recognizing that things might not go perfectly when you really need it.

Yea. Damage to the hand and a bunch of other things. But as far as metal vs polymer. There’s no difference logically I think.

Site Supporter
    Hell if you get shot in your primary and then switch to you off hand. But bone matter jams the slide. Is it the guns fault.

Wasn't there documented issues with .40 Glocks malfunctioning because of weapon lights attached to the rails? Because it messed with how the frame was supposed to flex?

Similar to the Benelli example, I wonder if some if these witnesses malfs might actually be from something other than limp wristing. Is overgripping a thing that could happen? Maybe adrenaline causing the officer to clamp down so hard it messes with the action cycle? Polymer frames do flex more( watch high-speed footage from Larry Vickers channel), and I wonder if you could crush grip the frame enough to flex it.
    It would be something most people couldn't replicate normally.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Wasn't there documented issues with .40 Glocks malfunctioning because of weapon lights attached to the rails? Because it messed with how the frame was supposed to flex?

Similar to the Benelli example, I wonder if some if these witnesses malfs might actually be from something other than limp wristing. Is overgripping a thing that could happen? Maybe adrenaline causing the officer to clamp down so hard it messes with the action cycle? Polymer frames do flex more( watch high-speed footage from Larry Vickers channel), and I wonder if you could crush grip the frame enough to flex it.
    It would be something most people couldn't replicate normally.
    Gen3 Glocks in 40 S&W were a hot mess once a metal WML was attached (Streamlight TLR's were particularly bad). Yes, it had much to do with frame flex (or lack thereof) and spring rate.

That's a totally separate issue than what the OP is talking about.

User Tag List