Thread: MLOK Handguard Rail Covers / Inserts (2021 Edition)

MLOK Handguard Rail Covers / Inserts (2021 Edition)

I picked up a couple new rails to fit on old uppers recently and haven't had time to shoot them yet but am worried about heat of the rails and that the rails (okay okay they're technically handguards) are smaller slimmer profile than the old quad rails I was used to.

I did some googling and all of the info I found was a few years old and there seems to be a ton of new accessories in the last year or two so posting this as a 2021 edition of the topic. Some things I have found in my searching:

1. Different materials exist including G10, Micarta, Plastic and Rubber

2. G10 and Micarta seem to only come in black which is unfortunate but maybe some are making other colors and I missed them

3. There's a reasonable argument that these inserts can serve as sacrificial devices to absorb impact if the gun is dropped/hit, and break, instead of transfering the force to the rail and damaging the gun.

4. People didn't discuss this, but I'm concerned if I close the holes up that heat will build up inside the rail and damage the barrel or reduce accuracy as heat lingers inside longer.

5. Various attachments and lengths exist to include friction fit, screwing in with MLOK attachments, and snapping together two plastic pieces

6. Some aluminum machined pieces exist that allow wire routing through them although they appear to be intended for only using one or two, and not for gripping purposes.

7. It seems possible to use some as indexing mechanisms for where to put your hand or activate accessory switches (lasers/ lights)

My own thoughts are that I dont like messing with accessories often, and I tend to take a few months, research the gun space, set something up and then run it for a decade before I dig back in. So rubber inserts seem like they'd degrade over time and require replacement, and screwing in pieces will add maintenance to ensure they're all tight sporadically. Not necessarily opposed to it but it's an added cost of maintenance.

My leading inclinations are to run the magpul snap over polymer ones (since I already have some) and only run them over the portion of the rail that I generally grab with my hand. Although I'm new to having a longer rail, in the past I was running all 7" quad rails, so with more options on where to grab the rail based on firing positions, I may not know exactly how much extra rail covers I need.

Whats the group thought on how they use these and which versions they like?

I’ve tried pretty much everything (including some that cost way too much) and haven’t found anything I like better than the Magpul type 2 and either sold or returned everything else.

They have good heat mitigation, look decent, have good texture, lightweight, and don’t cost too much.

I don’t worry about covering the entire rail. I just put them where my hand is likely to touch.

Magpul Type 1 or Type 2 depending on how I feel. Cheap and effective.

If heat is the primary issue, I would argue gloves are a better solution, as not only will they protect you from the heat, they will also provide you with some level of protection for other things you're grabbing, whether you're getting out of prone, grabbing stuff to barricade against, etc.

I gave up experimenting with the new hotness of M-Lok rail covers. I put MagPul type 2 covers where my hand goes. They give me traction in the summer when my hands are wet from sweat. They keep bare hands off of freezing cold metal rails when grabbing the gun in a rush during an extremely cold winter day. I am looking at this from the prospective of a LEO, where one doesn’t always have the time or opportunity to put on shooting gloves prior to deploying a patrol rifle.

They’re cheap, light weight and they are effective.

For me, they work well enough that I have no desire to look elsewhere.

Site Supporter
    I use both Magpul Type-2's and Slate Black panels on different guns...

https://www.slateblackindustries.com...els-3slot.html

I've not ran into any substantial heat issues, and prefer the thinner BCM covers.

I have been a fan of the bcm ones. Cut down for where I need are easily removable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had some issues with the BCM covers coming off, especially smaller sections that have been cut. It’s a shame because they’re my favorite from a combination of texture, cost, and thinness. I’ve had no problems with the Magpul covers.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List