Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steiner Micro Pistol Sight

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MAP View Post
    I've an opportunity to handle a prototype. According to a Steiner rep I spoke with on Thursday, it will have the ACRO footprint.

Mike
    That would be a wise move on Steiner’s part.

I had an opportunity to put a few rounds through a Beretta APX with the prototype Steiner optic. I took some pics and video but have not yet received permission to post them.

Generous eye box with clear glass. The dot has adequate brightness. We were shooting outdoors on a bright CO day. Pointing the optic skyward, near the sun, showed the dot bright enough for use.

The optic has a 13 hour auto shut off. That time period was chosen to allow a complete 12 hour shift for LEOs. A request was made for a "shake awake" feature but it could not be squeezed into the electronics.

During testing, the optic, mounted on the APX, was dropped 10+ times on the top of the sight (top mounted battery compartment) without issue. I don't know the height or surface. It survived the drops.

If y'all have any questions please post them and I'll do my best to get them answered.

Site Supporter
    Country of Origin?
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

The prototype was made in Germany. I believe they will be manufactured there.

Quote Originally Posted by MAP View Post
    I had an opportunity to put a few rounds through a Beretta APX with the prototype Steiner optic. I took some pics and video but have not yet received permission to post them.

Generous eye box with clear glass. The dot has adequate brightness. We were shooting outdoors on a bright CO day. Pointing the optic skyward, near the sun, showed the dot bright enough for use.

The optic has a 13 hour auto shut off. That time period was chosen to allow a complete 12 hour shift for LEOs. A request was made for a "shake awake" feature but it could not be squeezed into the electronics.

During testing, the optic, mounted on the APX, was dropped 10+ times on the top of the sight (top mounted battery compartment) without issue. I don't know the height or surface. It survived the drops.

If y'all have any questions please post them and I'll do my best to get them answered.
    Hmm....

I like Steiner optics. I have a P4Xi on my favorite BCM rifle. I also really like that this optic is an ACRO footprint because I think an ACRO-type footprint should probably become the standard for hard-use pistol optics.

That said, if this optic has an “auto-off” I won’t be buying one. I don’t even care about a “shake awake” for a top-load battery. Just let it run and I’ll change the battery at an interval. Of course, if the battery life is anything like their rifle optics (where I store the rifle with the illumination “off”) then battery life is very short. If the auto-off is a way to mitigate that I even more don’t want one.

So... at this point I’m very suspicious leaning towards eeewwww... Hopefuly they change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Hmm....

I like Steiner optics. I have a P4Xi on my favorite BCM rifle. I also really like that this optic is an ACRO footprint because I think an ACRO-type footprint should probably become the standard for hard-use pistol optics.

That said, if this optic has an “auto-off” I won’t be buying one. I don’t even care about a “shake awake” for a top-load battery. Just let it run and I’ll change the battery at an interval. Of course, if the battery life is anything like their rifle optics (where I store the rifle with the illumination “off”) then battery life is very short. If the auto-off is a way to mitigate that I even more don’t want one.

So... at this point I’m very suspicious leaning towards eeewwww... Hopefuly they change my mind.
    I agree. Terrible feature. I was wondering if it’s just written (or read) wrong.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post

Yup, the EO-Tech of pistol optics. I’d rather change batteries every month like the Gen 1 ACRO.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    I agree. Terrible feature. I was wondering if it’s just written (or read) wrong.
    User-Selectable Auto-Off

Users can choose to use the auto-off timer or keep the sight continuously on. If auto off is selected, the sight will automatically shut off after 13 hours.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Oh that’s much better.

Site Supporter
    Making the auto off optional is a good move.

I'm curious what the footprint is though. Steiner's web page still lists it as a Doctor Optic footprint.

User Tag List