Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Measure for Pistol Reloading Question

Powder Measure for Pistol Reloading Question

I’m mostly a bench rest rifle shooter and reloader for 300 and 600 yards matches. For my 6BR and 6 Dasher loads I use an FX120i with the Autotricker and am very satisfied with the results. I’d really prefer not to disturb that set-up for the very low powder charges appropriate for 9mm pistol loads.

When loading some relatively low quantity 9mm ammo for my pistol practice I’ve been using a RCBS Chargemaster Lite. It gives good results but is very s-l-o-w.

Thinking about buying a powder measure for throwing loads, but am concerned about accuracy…..currently I’m using 6.4 grains of HS-6 for Berry 124 gr plated bullets.

If I were to buy one, do you have an opinion of which one: Harrells, RCBS, Redding etc. would be best?

Thank you,

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Loading single stage, an RCBS with the SMALL DRUM is fine for me. I think a Redding 10X would be good.
    I have the slant cylinder Bonanza but seldom use it because it is tedious to adjust although precise once I get it on.

Don't get all worked up over exact weight pistol powder, it isn't necessary. Adjust the measure and take whatever it gives you plus and minus. HS6 meters pretty closely, though.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

For your described use, a Redding 10X would be hard to beat, as mentioned in the previous post by JW.

I've been using a Lyman Brass Smith. Which for 85 bucks seems hard to beat: https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/03...ure-and-stand/

For a while I measured every throw and found once you got consistent with your lever movement it was accurate to +\- 0.1 grain with VV N330 and 0.05 grain with round grain powders.

At +/- 0.1 grain with the low charges in pistols, you won't see a ton of velocity variation overall. The difference in .38spl of 3.4 vs 3.5g or N330 is about 15fps. Or basically less than the standard deviation of a box of factory ammo.

Honestly, you need to take a step back and rethink this. A Lee Turret kit will speed you up and give you time back to do other things, shoot, or reload more.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Honestly, you need to take a step back and rethink this. A Lee Turret kit will speed you up and give you time back to do other things, shoot, or reload more.
    This man speaks the truth.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Honestly, you need to take a step back and rethink this. A Dillon will speed you up and give you time back to do other things, shoot, or reload more.
    You were almost there.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

The CH 444-X Pistol Champ press is another option between single stage and Dillon speed. I like mine.
    http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/444-X

IMO what powder is probably a bigger decision than what measure for dropping charges for pistols.

I use Longshot for 147gn 9mm, and just bought back into Titegroup for other stuff, because they both flow like sand. Am not familiar with HS-6, it might be another good one?

And like others have suggested, if you are just starting out loading for pistol, it probably won't be long before you want something progressive, perhaps buy something that would be forward compatible with a progressive press. You can use a Lee Autodrum in a single stage press.

Or maybe just take the plunge to the press! Lee is an option, but if you think you might ever end up with the Dillon 550, they come with the measure and everything you need except the dies you already have.

But coming to loading practice pistol ammo from the perspective of a bench rest shooter might be a difficult mind shift!! Hahah

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thanks….

Thanks for all the thoughtful suggestions in response to my question…..

I’ve learned over the years that I do not do well with complex operations….sort of a hand/eye/brain kind of mindset I suppose.

As a matter of fact, I’ve owned a couple of “progressive” presses in the past…..don’t ask about the time I blew up a Glock 21 at Thunder Ranch in the late ‘90’s. It was at night and quite spectacular…..

I’ve looked at Midway, Grafs, Brownells and Brunos and the Redding 10X are not currently available.

After reading a large number of rating reviews by purchasers, and the responses here, I decided to go with the Lyman unit ($60 at Grafs).

BTW, HS6 is a “fine spherical” powder that meters very well….I will check the other powders suggested. I’ve used W-231 extensively in the past but haven’t been able to find it around here lately.

I appreciate your feedback….

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

User Tag List