Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen 5 23 MOS field pistol project

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    First, where are these mid range 10mm loads you speak of?
    Man, ain’t that the truth. I can get 185s @ 1250 all day long, but subsonic 165s and less are basically nonexistent. A friend heavy into reloading kindly hooked me up with an old press of his, so I shall become my own reloading bitch.

I hope this effort works out! Iron sighted 10mm has been my only field pistol option basically since adulthood, and I this effort looks and sounds pretty cool.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I spent some time perusing the web, trying to find a retention holster for the G5 23 MOS that would ideally be ALS and cover the optic. Safariland, for example, doesn’t list a holster yet for the Gen 5/.40 with an optic. US Duty has a holster but no ALS just SLS, and no optic hood.

I emailed Chris Ghost at Ghostmen and got an immediate response that he could modify a Glock 6390 RDS if he had the holster and slide with optic. That seems promising.

On a lark, I started checking some Safariland RDS holsters I have for other pistols. The first I tried was a Safariland for the M&P CORE five inch with X300. It went in, but then took me 15 minutes to get back out and involved partially disassembling the holster. For a moment, I thought I would need to cut the holster off. I then tried a Safariland for the P320 with RDS, and amazingly it fit like it was made for the G5 23. When I tried a Gen 5 9mm in it, it rattled around, but the thicker .40 slide seems like it is a very good fit.

Name:  6A408E18-BDB1-481F-948C-36BE9F2299D2.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  40.6 KB

Name:  10A6AD7E-1B75-4CBC-BE2C-2F1653D1A9E9.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  42.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I shot my 23 MOS with the 509T again today. Sweet shooting pistol that feels very un-40'ish in recoil. Was using lawman 180 ball and 180 Gold Dot JHP. This is 20 yards with the Gold Dot in windy conditions.

Name:  76D45464-BBE6-4D3E-82DD-ABCCCA00D993.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  28.0 KB

I tried the same load weak hand at 12 yards to test reliability.

Name:  6BF312DE-8615-4D59-AD47-DEE7DE01999B.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  23.6 KB

Tony says my George holsters (one for a TLR-7) will arrive in a few days, and I think I will start EDC'ing the 23, I like how it shoots that much.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I shot my 23 MOS with the 509T again today. Sweet shooting pistol that feels very un-40'ish in recoil. Was using lawman 180 ball and 180 Gold Dot JHP. This is 20 yards with the Gold Dot in windy conditions.
    By un-40ish, would that mean closer to a G19 shooting +P or Nato ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by CarloMNL View Post
    By un-40ish, would that mean closer to a G19 shooting +P or Nato ammo?
    Correct

GJM... Your compilation video is very interesting. How refreshing it is to see the 9 Is All dogma challenged by a well done experiment. Thank you. Could the 40 be a bit more loose wrist proof than the all powerful 9?

Quote Originally Posted by DueSpada View Post
    GJM... Your compilation video is very interesting. How refreshing it is to see the 9 Is All dogma challenged by a well done experiment. Thank you. Could the 40 be a bit more loose wrist proof than the all powerful 9?
    Not sure -- while much is still Glock, with a new slide profile I am in the gathering data mode to assess.

Another good .40 load

Another .40 load to try is the Federal 165 gr Tactical Bonded LE40T3.
    Excellent accuracy for me in multiple HK pistols. Bone Frog Gun Club has it in stock.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by DueSpada View Post
    I was wondering similarly. OTOH I've shot a several of 9mm Glocks gripped with just thumb and index finger on the grip and never could trigger a malf.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Nice shooting man. Looks like that piece is working well.

Cat

User Tag List