Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Gen 5 23 MOS field pistol project

I ran into a buddy in Boise at a USPSA match, that loves the Gen 5 23 so much, he is thinking of using one as a CO and Limited pistol. Interestingly, he also tried the G5 22, and said he much prefers how the slide tracks on the G5 23.

Up in AK now, I have been carrying both a G5 23 and 19, with the Lehigh Penetrator loads and am conflicted which I prefer. I like the diameter and greater mass of the .40 load, but since I have a Mayhem comp on my 19, I really enjoy how well the 19 shoots. I believe the extra noise of the comp’d 19 might be an advantage with a bear, as more noise should be a good thing in deterring an attack. I also like the ease of holster options with the 19.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I ran into a buddy in Boise at a USPSA match, that loves the Gen 5 23 so much, he is thinking of using one as a CO and Limited pistol. Interestingly, he also tried the G5 22, and said he much prefers how the slide tracks on the G5 23.

Up in AK now, I have been carrying both a G5 23 and 19, with the Lehigh Penetrator loads and am conflicted which I prefer. I like the diameter and greater mass of the .40 load, but since I have a Mayhem comp on my 19, I really enjoy how well the 19 shoots. I believe the extra noise of the comp’d 19 might be an advantage with a bear, as more noise should be a good thing in deterring an attack. I also like the ease of holster options with the 19.
    I know nothing about the Lehigh Penetrator loads but if there isn't much penetration difference in the 9mm and .40 versions then 15 vs 13 and shot placement under extreme conditions is going to be the difference. (I love 9mm's but the thought of that against a bear is scary).

@GJM, @steve, I’ve been thinking along the same lines. I like the idea of using my standard carry gun (P-07) with 115gr Underwood XP +p at 1300fps.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @GJM, @steve, I’ve been thinking along the same lines. I like the idea of using my standard carry gun (P-07) with 115gr Underwood XP +p at 1300fps.
    I don't think that's the wrong choice assuming penetration is assured to be complete and glancing isn't concern. Seems the old rule of he who hit's first and most would likely apply but the time factor cannot be overemphasized that the likelihood of the first few shots of the burst will ultimately decide seem to be the deal here.

I would take either the 9 or .40 Lehigh over the .45 +P Lehigh load, because of velocity to penetrate a skull, but .45 Super with a sealed emitter optic becomes much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would take either the 9 or .40 Lehigh over the .45 +P Lehigh load, because of velocity to penetrate a skull, but .45 Super with a sealed emitter optic becomes much more interesting.
    Coincidentally, my G20.4 milled for Acro should be ready in time for a Kodiak trip with @JCL at the beginning of August. He’s getting a similar rig done with a 509t2.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Coincidentally, my G20.4 milled for Acro should be ready in time for a Kodiak trip with @JCL at the beginning of August. He’s getting a similar rig done with a 509t2.
    What fun stuff will you be doing on Kodiak?

Answering by txt for Persec

Site Supporter
    @GJM, I made an assumption by reading your post you were carrying the 23 Gen 5. Is the the 23X or 23?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    @GJM, I made an assumption by reading your post you were carrying the 23 Gen 5. Is the the 23X or 23?
    Yes! (I have both, but mostly have been carrying the straight 23).

Ran into an issue today, with multiple stoppages with a Blazer Brass 180. The slide was locking back with cartridges in the magazine and the flat point bullet profile was slightly nose down. This was odd, as I have never experienced a stoppage with this pistol or any GEN 5 .40 before. When I looked more carefully, I realized I was using a Glock 22 magazine that I had here at the cabin, and it had a number nine follower. The new magazines have a number 10 follower. No problems with the number 10 follower magazines, so I am thinking that there was a redesign from 9 to 10, related to this issue.

So, a heads up to make sure you are using magazines that have a number 10 follower in GEN 5 40 pistols.

User Tag List