Thread: New grips for Ol' Slabsides.

New grips for Ol' Slabsides.

Recently, I shared an old Army issue 1911 I'd acquired. I immediately put the original grips away, since they're rather fragile. Since then, I've been looking for the right grips to serve as substitutes. I went through several I already had, as well as a new set from Wood Caliber. None of them looked right. Wrong color, incorrect design elements, or simply just too nice.

I happened to notice Tisas sells grips on their website, in both light and dark walnut. I decided I couldn't lose at $20 and ordered a pair of the dark walnut. I applied a coat of stain (since Tisas kindly doesn't put any finish on them) to give them just the right reddish tint, that vintage US military wood always has and bam, perfect.

Name:  173595068.f3ef51e9.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  49.9 KB
    Name:  173595069.QrTRq2Ye.20230502_191609.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  62.0 KB
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Can’t beat the ol’ double diamonds. Very nice.

Site Supporter
    Beautiful, man! I really want one for a build.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Thanks, but this is not the kind of gun you use for a build, for several reason's.

That’s a U.S. issued M1911, pre-A1. No kidney cut behind the trigger, a long trigger shoe, and a flat mainspring housing. That’s about as far from a “build-gun” donor frame as you want to go. Even ignoring history or collector’s value based on condition and scarcity, the frame is not heat treated. Likely the slide isn’t either, depending on year (there may have been spot-heat-treating on slides during the interwar period, I cannot remember).
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    That’s a U.S. issued M1911, pre-A1. No kidney cut behind the trigger, a long trigger shoe, and a flat mainspring housing. That’s about as far from a “build-gun” donor frame as you want to go. Even ignoring history or collector’s value based on condition and scarcity, the frame is not heat treated. Likely the slide isn’t either, depending on year (there may have been spot-heat-treating on slides during the interwar period, I cannot remember).
    Spot treating didn't start until WWII. That's why I've only shot it once and probably never will again. Other than finish wear, it's all original, as it came from the factory in early 1917. No repair or overhaul, ever. I'd hate to break something and have that compromised.

Site Supporter
    Beautiful. Classic. Quintessential. The grips look perfect on it.

My father in law has a series 80 government that I’ve been messing with. Nothing nearly on this level of collectibility, obviously… but… I’m really appreciating the classic Colt 1911 pattern.

In other words…

I needs me one.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Beautiful. Classic. Quintessential. The grips look perfect on it.

My father in law has a series 80 government that I’ve been messing with. Nothing nearly on this level of collectibility, obviously… but… I’m really appreciating the classic Colt 1911 pattern.

In other words…

I needs me one.
    Thanks. I had to sell a couple of nice old S&Ws to finance it. But, for me this is about as grail as it gets.

Somebody was doing faux retro-modern on the Black Army reissues Colt made several years ago. I don't remember who, but IIRC they nailed the vibe. Don't see any on gunbroker now.

The original here looks amazing. I think OP might be worried about what the spirit of JMB would do if he started cutting and welding on it.

User Tag List