Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen 5 23 MOS field pistol project

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    So, GJM, are you thinking the LeHigh Penetrator load in .40S&W is suitable for grizzlies at this point?
    “Suitable for grizzlies,” is not how I would describe any handgun load, especially in a service pistol caliber. I do think the Lehigh load should work as well as the better service pistol caliber loads, and maybe even better, based on bullet construction, diameter and velocity.

What is interesting to me about the 23 MOS is the “whole package,” meaning the ability to easily mount an optic, that it is a compact sized, is a Glock, and shoots well, as opposed to any one thing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    “Suitable for grizzlies,” is not how I would describe any handgun load, especially in a service pistol caliber. I do think the Lehigh load should work as well as the better service pistol caliber loads, and maybe even better, based on bullet construction, diameter and velocity.

What is interesting to me about the 23 MOS is the “whole package,” meaning the ability to easily mount an optic, that it is a compact sized, is a Glock, and shoots well, as opposed to any one thing.
    Yeah, I get it. If I had the ability to launch something like a train at such a creature, I’d do that. Sadly trains aren’t easy or convenient to carry. I also get the “whole package” concept as I myself am also much more adept and practiced in the ways of the semi-auto vs revolver with regard to speed, precision, follow-up shots, and just plain carrying the damn things.

I guess what I was getting at was: is .40S&W in LeHigh Solid Copper Penetrator form showing sufficient penetration vs 10mm and .45 Super for you to be THAT comfortable with it? Obviously Brenneke slugs is your go-to if you have the choice. I’ve not been around here most of this year as I’ve been taking a break from things. But if that load is providing that much penetration, it is indeed valuable info. Being able to press it into the size, form factor, and roughly the same shootability as a G19 is also indeed quite valuable info.

I don’t plan on tangling with bears in AK any time soon, but I have been trying to figure out what would work well as a GP sidearm that I could easily press into service for a wide variety of 4 legged critters that wasn’t a large framed Glock. Large frame Glocks are a smidge too big for my comfort level and I’d much rather go down another rabbit hole for the capability. If this is actually doing it, that’s damn cool. All I’d have to do is change the load for the landscape I’m in and drive on.

I switched out the G23 lower guts over to a G45 (different ejector), installed a Chip Wiz plug, and Tango Down green base pads to quickly differentiate between 9 and .40 mags. Now I have one G23 MOS upper on a 23 lower, and a separate lower with a full size, G45 lower.

Name:  91D6CDF8-F14D-4CF1-94BB-495668DB7418.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  102.8 KB

Name:  E6EEFBAF-1AEA-4011-B6DF-061265A7CA82.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  62.2 KB

I switched out the G23 lower guts over to a G45 (different ejector), installed a Chip Wiz plug, and Tango Down green base pads to quickly differentiate between 9 and .40 mags. Now I have one G23 MOS upper on a 23 lower, and a separate lower with a full size, G45 lower.

Name:  91D6CDF8-F14D-4CF1-94BB-495668DB7418.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  102.8 KB

Name:  E6EEFBAF-1AEA-4011-B6DF-061265A7CA82.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  62.2 KB
    They really need to release a .40 G45 equivalent.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    GJM, if this is for the field does the combo you have made have an advantage over a 22 Gen 5 MOS? What you have done is really cool and like HeavyDuty I hope Glock copies you and makes a Glock 45 .40 cal version.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    GJM, if this is for the field does the combo you have made have an advantage over a 22 Gen 5 MOS? What you have done is really cool and like HeavyDuty I hope Glock copies you and makes a Glock 45 .40 cal version.
    I think a G22 would be just as good. I went with the G23, so I can choose between a full size or compact lower, to have more concealment flexibility around town.

I think a G22 would be just as good. I went with the G23, so I can choose between a full size or compact lower, to have more concealment flexibility around town.
    Quick question: Have you noticed any minor changes in your POA/POI with the dot when swapping lowers?

I have some gen 5 g19 mos and g45s that I like for the interchangeability. I don’t think that they would cause any shifts but just thought I would ask.

I've been reading some of your older posts from a couple of years ago or so where it sounded like you went to carrying a 9mm for a while with LeHigh projectiles, citing the point that the increased shootability of that caliber/gun combo over the USP with .45 Supers. I'm curious what reasons you're leaning towards a .40 now. I've gained a lot of insight from your posts and experiences, I'm not questioning the validity of your reasons, just curious as to what they are exactly. I'm trying to come to some conclusions with my own situation.

I like the G45/G23 combo. I found that with 9mm at least, I tend to do slightly better with the shorter slide/barrel travel of the 19 over the 17. I wonder if that would carry over to the .40 versions.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Quick question: Have you noticed any minor changes in your POA/POI with the dot when swapping lowers?

I have some gen 5 g19 mos and g45s that I like for the interchangeability. I don’t think that they would cause any shifts but just thought I would ask.
    I haven't noticed POI shifts going from 19 to 45, or different 19/45 lowers.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I've been reading some of your older posts from a couple of years ago or so where it sounded like you went to carrying a 9mm for a while with LeHigh projectiles, citing the point that the increased shootability of that caliber/gun combo over the USP with .45 Supers. I'm curious what reasons you're leaning towards a .40 now. I've gained a lot of insight from your posts and experiences, I'm not questioning the validity of your reasons, just curious as to what they are exactly. I'm trying to come to some conclusions with my own situation.

I like the G45/G23 combo. I found that with 9mm at least, I tend to do slightly better with the shorter slide/barrel travel of the 19 over the 17. I wonder if that would carry over to the .40 versions.
    I am not sure what your question is.

I shot the 23 MOS upper for the first time, using the G45 sized lower, along with the brass plug and an X300. No issues noted through 100 rounds of 180 Lawman and Gold Dot. POI stayed constant and the G5 .40 continues to impress with precision. Subjectively this combination felt softer, which should not be surprising between the added weight and larger grip. Not that it matters for my use, but I saw splits in the .18-.20 range, which was a smidge faster than the 23 with a polymer plug.

User Tag List