Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen 5 23 MOS field pistol project

Gen 5 23 MOS field pistol project

I have a pair of Gen 5 23 MOS pistols inbound, to see how they work out as red dot field pistols. Plan to run one with a 23 lower, and the other with a G45 lower ( with a .40 ejector). P2 Acro as soon as I can get my hands in one, although a P1 for now with a TD Acro plate. Need to sort out heights for BUIS. Will get a JM AIWB with and without a light. Looks like US Duty makes a RDS retention holster for the G5 Glock 22 MOS. Will be running Underwood Lehigh penetrator ammo and need to decide on a tough JHP load. Look forward to assessing reliability first, then shootability.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Have no interest in a .40. But do enjoy following your thoughtful, and yes, entertaining, "experiments".

(And I can only hope said experiments don't kindle the desire on my part for a .40. Just what I need - - - another caliber!)

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Have no interest in a .40. But do enjoy following your thoughtful, and yes, entertaining, "experiments".

(And I can only hope said experiments don't kindle the desire on my part for a .40. Just what I need - - - another caliber!)
    Frankly, I don’t have much interest in .40 either. However, what I am interested in is a reliable pistol with 10mm diameter and bullet weight, in a G23/G45 package, that is optics ready and relatively easy to shoot. I am hoping that the GAP dimensioned slide is softer shooting and more reliable than a legacy Glock .40. The 10mm Underwood Lehigh load is 140 grains at 1,500 fps, where the .40 load is 140 at 1,250 fps. I think 1,250 will be more conducive to reliability while still being able to penetrate a skull. I am also very curious how the G5 23 .40 compares to a G5 19 with +P carry ammo.

I really like my 23.5, I've been carrying it on an Enigma chassis in an On Your 6 Designs AIWB, which shipped to me in a few days of ordering(wanted an Enigma shell from Tony but the lead time was too long, have one for my 43). The On Your 6 is serviceable. The 23.5 has more recoil than a 19 for sure, but not excessive, I put 250rds through it in a quick hour session, Bill drills, multiple targets, totally reliable.

Looking forward to your findings.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Frankly, I don’t have much interest in .40 either. However, what I am interested in is a reliable pistol with 10mm diameter and bullet weight, in a G23/G45 package, that is optics ready and relatively easy to shoot. I am hoping that the GAP dimensioned slide is softer shooting and more reliable than a legacy Glock .40. The 10mm Underwood Lehigh load is 140 grains at 1,500 fps, where the .40 load is 140 at 1,250 fps. I think 1,250 will be more conducive to reliability while still being able to penetrate a skull. I am also very curious how the G5 23 .40 compares to a G5 19 with +P carry ammo.
    See . . . there you go, right off, making this creature - - - a .40 of all things . . . sound interesting. Dang!!

Site Supporter
    Very much looking forward to this and the pairing of the G45 frame with the G23.

Why go with the G23 over a G20 or G29 with midrange 10mm loads?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am also very curious how the G5 23 .40 compares to a G5 19 with +P carry ammo.
    I will be very interested to hear your perceptions. My split and shot to shot recovery times, hence strings in every course of fire are slower with the 23.5 than a 19.5 with +P ammo, but not enough to make me fail my personal benchmark tests for carrying the gun. I honestly have not put them on the timer side by side before and recorded it all.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Why go with the G23 over a G20 or G29 with midrange 10mm loads?
    First, where are these mid range 10mm loads you speak of?

Second, I prefer the 23/45 form factor over both the 20 and 29, leaving aside that the 23 is offered in MOS.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I will be very interested to hear your perceptions. My split and shot to shot recovery times, hence strings in every course of fire are slower with the 23.5 than a 19.5 with +P ammo, but not enough to make me fail my personal benchmark tests for carrying the gun. I honestly have not put them on the timer side by side before and recorded it all.
    Feel free to test that and contribute to this thread with that and all your 23 MOS experiences!

User Tag List