Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The last M9's have been delivered...an end of an era (also pic of upcoming "M9A4")

Well said, @MandoWookie.

The Johnson and Reising were interim substitutes given the lack of availability of the Garand and Thompson, along with production delays of the M2 Hyde. Not "deliberate choices".

As noted the Reising was designed as a police firearm, and it was actually quite a good gun within that context; detritus under the charging handle and individually fitted, non-interchangeable parts simply weren't issues in such a use. The Johnson wasn't that terrible, either. It was actually quite good compared to other semi-automatic rifles from around the world in 1941. There were lots of good designs that didn't go past prototype or limited production simply for reasons of wartime efficiency, not because they were bad. One of the rarest American SMGs during WWII was also one of the best, the Marlin UD-42.

"Piece of junk" from WWII makes me think of something like the S&W Light Rifle. Certainly not either the Reising or Johnson.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell 41 View Post
    Isn’t this what led to the 92FS series?
    Yup. Ernest Langdon describes the 'S' fix in the opening of this video far better than I can.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Somehow I am back to carrying an LTT centurion in a 5shot SME, and it’s as comfortable as it is comforting.

Name:  D2070889-17B7-49FE-B7E2-B8E5A45CD75B.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  35.3 KB

Site Supporter
    Finally found a good place to share this gem. Our Group Duty Officer came in the other day with the most used and abused M9 I think I have seen yet!!

Name:  B54AF0F9-35E1-465E-8BBC-B9EF98DFB60A.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  36.7 KB

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Finally found a good place to share this gem. Our Group Duty Officer came in the other day with the most used and abused M9 I think I have seen yet!!

And then people wonder why they malfunction?

I wonder if the Sig will last as long in military service as the M9 did.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I wonder if the Sig will last as long in military service as the M9 did.
    I don’t think so…the world has moved to a disposable/ consumable paradigm where it’s cheaper to buy new than to repair. Much of this has also trickled down into the military acquisition methodology from what I have seen. Especially when you give a Marine something made from plastic!

Site Supporter

There's at least a half-dozen in our arms room that make that one look near-mint. I keep finding the old Gulf War I era parkerized magazines in our magazine box, too. I personally witnessed one of them being used by a 1LT to hammer a retaining pin into a misaligned tailgate on a humvee trailer.
    Thankfully the Beretta was clear and empty, but it gave me a fucking heart attack to watch... then I yelled a lot.

Site Supporter
    I don’t think so…the world has moved to a disposable/ consumable paradigm where it’s cheaper to buy new than to repair. Much of this has also trickled down into the military acquisition methodology from what I have seen. Especially when you give a Marine something made from plastic!
    You are correct about the disposable part I don't think he was referring to the service life of the individual guns but rather the M17/18 as a type.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You are correct about the disposable part I don't think he was referring to the service life of the individual guns but rather the M17/18 as a type.
    I, too, was referring to the M17/18 as a type. With the modularity of metal parts and the production method of stamping and folding, etc, I don’t see costs being as prohibitive as they used to be and the ability to jump to an updated platform as easy as molding another grip and machining another slide. As long as you stayed with the same manufacturer, it could be rolled into the current contact (if both parties agreed to); making the move to a new type relatively easy.

User Tag List