Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The last M9's have been delivered...an end of an era (also pic of upcoming "M9A4")

Site Supporter
    I wonder when LTT will introduce an Acro plate.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    IIRC that was a deliberate choice by the USMC, they had access to M1s, but decided that it wasn't worth the disruption in training and supply while they were rapidly trying to build up.
    There was also the sentiment that the Marines on the ground would have preference for the tried and true over an unproven semi-auto.
    The were also cursed with their deliberately chosen issued submachine gun, the Reising, which defined the concept of "piece of junk." There was also some selective issue (possibly to Marine Raiders) of the Johnson semi-automatic rifle, which was another epic fail; the M1 was far, far better, which the Marines quickly realized and subsequently issued. Neither the Reising or the Johnson survived the crucible of Guadalcanal.

Best, Jon

Saw a post on Reddit of a possible M9A4 Centurion.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Beretta/com...urion_variant/

Looking at the barrel length I thought 4.7" was the Vertec flush barrel length and the Centurion/compact was shorter, like 4.5". I looked up the length of a threaded compact barrel on the BUSA website and it's 4.8". So I'm not sure what's up. Could be a Centurion with a threaded barrel. Could be a fullsize with a flush barrel for states that don't allow threaded barrels. I would be stoked for either option. I kinda regret selling my Vertec and an M9A3/A4 with a flush barrel would be pretty much the exact same thing. But I really dig Centurions and I can always jut put a Vertec barrel in an M9A3/A4.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

The “TB” in the product description likely stands for Threaded Barrel. The M9A3 comes standard with a threaded barrel and the photos of the M9A4 all show a threaded barrel too. I’m betting the product you found is a Centurion with a threaded barrel.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    The “TB” in the product description likely stands for Threaded Barrel. The M9A3 comes standard with a threaded barrel and the photos of the M9A4 all show a threaded barrel too. I’m betting the product you found is a Centurion with a threaded barrel.
    That makes a lot of sense. If anybody needs me I'll be over here licking this window...
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/92x-rd...ource=hs_email

And the 92x optics "RDO" version appears. I don't know who coined the term RDO but this might get confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    https://www.beretta.com/en-us/92x-rd...ource=hs_email

And the 92x optics "RDO" version appears. I don't know who coined the term RDO but this might get confusing.
    You would think they could at least choose a different acronym!

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I'm assuming that more Reserve and Guard support units will get M9's since M9's have historically been very scarce in those commands.
    Our ARNG unit replaced all our M9s with M17s last year. No option to keep any M9s. All M16a2s were replaced with M4s as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    The were also cursed with their deliberately chosen issued submachine gun, the Reising, which defined the concept of "piece of junk." There was also some selective issue (possibly to Marine Raiders) of the Johnson semi-automatic rifle, which was another epic fail; the M1 was far, far better, which the Marines quickly realized and subsequently issued. Neither the Reising or the Johnson survived the crucible of Guadalcanal.

Best, Jon
    Johnson rifle and LMG. Because both could easily dismount the barrel they were thought to be better for parachute troops. Also they were leftovers from a Dutch order that couldn't be fulfilled. So were essentially free and available, unlike the supply of Garands at the time. The Reising I think was a similar situation, it was available in quantity while the Thompson wasn't.
    But neither had been designed or solicited by the USMC, or any other branch, the Reising IIRC had been developed as a police carbine, and the Johnson specifically in reaction to the early Garand issues, and was targeted toward the Marine Corps, but never actually asked for. The LMG had a better rep than the rifle, and theoretical advantages over the BAR, but both lacked the development needed to work out their issues.
    Not likely that would have been enough, there is a reason there are no recoil operated rifles issued today.
    I do thinks it's funny that the last few developmental versions of the Johnson LMG were just this close to being DI operated. It is no coincidence the he went on to help develop the AR10 and AR15.

https://youtu.be/JVH9aEF2EX0

Reising SMG, with the really useless wire stock.

https://youtu.be/aY19tDMDvr4

Johnson's rifle.

https://youtu.be/vf40tHdKmno

Johnson's LMG

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/rifles/johnson-m1941/

Man, I miss when Ian did actual articles.
    Last edited by MandoWookie; 09-20-2021 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I believe that Beretta was using slides from some other source for those pistols, and they were not heat treated properly (something like that). The slides broke at the breach and the rear portion of the slide impacted the shooters face. Beretta claimed that the SEAL's were using hot sub gun ammo (which they weren't), the SEAL's said FU Beretta and went back their SIG's until the Glock 19.
    Isn’t this what led to the 92FS series?

In 1991, presumably because the failed slide story was making the rounds, our academy firearms instructors (and academy armorer) were spreading the word that the SEALs had been experimenting with very hot JHP loads where they had filled the cavity with C4. Then they tried using C4 instead of powder. My confidence in the FI’s (and the armorer) was significantly reduced upon hearing this old wives tale.

User Tag List