Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: The last M9's have been delivered...an end of an era (also pic of upcoming "M9A4")

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    I pick up my retirement orders, DD214 and other assorted stuff at IPAC on monday morning, and depart on terminal leave. Tomorrow is the 20 year mark, actual retirement date is Oct 31. We didn't wrap up the last raid course until last Friday.
    Mazel tov!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I pick up my retirement orders, DD214 and other assorted stuff at IPAC on monday morning, and depart on terminal leave. Tomorrow is the 20 year mark, actual retirement date is Oct 31. We didn't wrap up the last raid course until last Friday.
    Enjoy the down time [beer]

Congratulations, Bravo Zulu, Fair Winds and Folliwing Seas. With a genuine thank you for your service.

Site Supporter
    Ha! You think you’ll pick up your DD214! In actuality, you’ll screen it and mark everything the IPAC Seps clerk got wrong or forgot (i.e. missing awards, etc) and then they will tell you you have to come back after your actual EAS date. You’ll hit the roof but can’t do anything about it. Hopefully I’m wrong and it’s different for actual retirement.

Kidding aside, congrats brother! I stayed in the reserves instead of retiring but my 20 year letter is secure in the safe!

ETA: Fuck RFMSS. Also, to add to @TGS wonderful insights to training barriers (1000% correct btw) I can only speak to the pre-GWOT years from 97-the kickoff, but We (usually) only used one or two of the three parallel rifle ranges when we were qualifying units and only one pistol range at a time. I was a block official at the Pulgas range on Pendleton. I don’t know if it was slower back then or less requirements; things DID seem simpler and slower back then. Big problem PGWOT was no money. We alternated months buying printer paper and toilet paper.
    Last edited by TOTS; 09-23-2021 at 08:48 PM.

Site Supporter
    Congratulations !

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I realize I’m not the one you are asking, but…

My “official” Army introduction to the M9 was at Armor Officer Basic Course which consisted of a morning of how to maintain it and an afternoon that consisted of some Fam fire with coaching and then qualification. As @Cory stated, this what a case of the “one eyed leading the blind.” Fortunately for me - I had been shooting somewhat seriously for several years and was able to clear the course and gain a little cred with my classmates.

That’s similar to the pistol experience the entire USMC Aviation gets. A newly promoted SNCO gets about 15 minutes of one-on-one fam training with the M9, then 10 rnds of pre-qual, then 40 for score. That’s their annual qualification! Training and range coaching is provided by E4-E6 (often an admin or maintenance Marine) from that unit with the only qualification that they had scored Expert on the rifle range prior to going to the Marksmanship Training Unit for a PowerPoint class on how to be a pistol range coach.

Site Supporter
    Congratulations on your retirement, @rcbusmc24! Well deserved and I'm glad you are in a position to retire. Not all who make it to their 20 are so lucky. Enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Ha! You think you’ll pick up your DD214! In actuality, you’ll screen it and mark everything the IPAC Seps clerk got wrong or forgot (i.e. missing awards, etc) and then they will tell you you have to come back after your actual EAS date. You’ll hit the roof but can’t do anything about it. Hopefully I’m wrong and it’s different for actual retirement.

Kidding aside, congrats brother! I stayed in the reserves instead of retiring but my 20 year letter is secure in the safe!

ETA: Fuck RFMSS. Also, to add to @TGS wonderful insights to training barriers (1000% correct btw) I can only speak to the pre-GWOT years from 97-the kickoff, but We (usually) only used one or two of the three parallel rifle ranges when we were qualifying units and only one pistol range at a time. I was a block official at the Pulgas range on Pendleton. I don’t know if it was slower back then or less requirements; things DID seem simpler and slower back then. Big problem PGWOT was no money. We alternated months buying printer paper and toilet paper.
    The pro tip for getting your DD-214 perfect the first time; Bring your 'I love me' book with printed copies of all of your awards and deployment orders etc you want reflected on your DD-214. The clerks there are able to make on the spot corrections 90%+ of the time* so long as you've got absolute proof you 'did the thing'. They obviously just can't make any edits on your word alone, and they don't always have time or the ability to pull up your records, iPerms, whatever.

Also, ask for as many original copies of the Member-4 and Service-2 as they're willing to give you.

*(Gov systems being what they are, accesses being a constant problem, middle field grade officers cursed with good idea fairies, etc)

Site Supporter
    Great gouge right there

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Bean counters are the devil. They ruin military training and effectiveness. They ruin hospital staffing and ability to surge. They ruin police response times and efficacy. If anyone reading this is a "bean counter", you can go fucking die in a fire.
    Name:  A5783305-B6CA-4623-BB9C-1D5471C6A7DC.jpeg
Views: 443
Size:  70.5 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Looks like these have finally landed, I'm very tempted but can't help but wonder what a good price would be for this given the MSRP of $1100 and seems everybody is asking around $1000. I remember when you could find M9A3's around $800 or better. Think I may just wait a bit but knowing Beretta I'd hate to miss out if they don't run these very long. Thoughts?

User Tag List