Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The last M9's have been delivered...an end of an era (also pic of upcoming "M9A4")

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Ouch, that's scary. Not as bad as the Navy fleet warfare qualification, I guess. I think they shot 5 rounds just to show they know how to handle, load, and fire it. No target, no scoring. The sort of qualification that they got scored on and awarded ribbons for was entirely extracurricular and for fun, not required to actually carry a weapon.
    I think that the “fire five rounds off the fantail” course of qualification went away in the early ‘80s.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I think that the “fire five rounds off the fantail” course of qualification went away in the early ‘80s.
    My brother reported this to me in the 2000s. He made a special effort to point out the difference between the fleet warfare qual to stand watch with a firearm vs the ribbon he had for shooting a given score on a bullseye course.

ETA: Maybe @Trooper224 can ask his son that recently left the Navy. My brother has been in port assignments for a while, so I don't think he would have any updated info.
    Last edited by TGS; 09-22-2021 at 07:47 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Heck, I did that on a tiger cruise. Didn’t know I was qualified. ;-)

Site Supporter
    I never fired an M9 or M11 or any other military-owned pistol while in the military. I carried an M9 an awful lot in theater, and occasionally an M11. I had spent the time and money on my own to be a bit more than familiar with pistol shooting and with those specific pistols. I am a much better pistol shooter now.

Hip pocket training with that unit while stuck at an airfield waiting on an aircraft to carry us where we needed to go included working with every weapon in the unit to refresh how they worked, even though we may not have had any ammunition to shoot

One day in theater, while walking up to a building where weapons had to be cleared at clearing barrels before entry, I watched a line of VIP visiting officers and senior NCOs clearing their M9s. I arrived at the back of the line where a female O4 was hanging back, letting everyone else go ahead and finish and enter the building before she pulled out her M9.

And stared at the thing, like it was a completely foreign contraption she had no idea what to do with. And then she started poking it with her support hand index finger. The muzzle was pointing off God knows where. I, a bearded gent with a ponytail and civvies (I was on a special assignment) stepped up next to her unaware of her surroundings person, reached over and wrapped my hand around the slide and trigger guard and took it right out of her hand.

“Ma’am, why don’t you let me remind you how this works, okay?” And then proceeded to demonstrate every control, the sequence of loading and unloading, showed her the opening in the clearing barrel and said, “always put the muzzle in that hole before you start this stuff,” handed it back and had her do it three times in a row. After she finished the third time, she thanked me and went on to do her VIP tour.

That spoke volumes to me about how much the military values training on the pistol: I had never officially qualified with one, but was handed one to carry as needed due to demonstrated competence with them, and someone issued one as her only weapon had to get taught by me on a FOB in a crappy third world hell hole how to not shoot herself or someone else while trying to use a clearing barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Going back to the XM9 pistol trials and the Beretta win(s), the sentiment about the M9 has changed 180 degrees. In the 1980s, the M9 was a sissy pistol for men not able to shoot JMB's .45. It broke and could not handle SEALs training regimens. Thirty-five years later, the issues are down to hand fit, magazine interior finish, and the original locking block design stress risers.

Not many .MIL weapons actually get better reputations as they are used. Beretta USA has been and continues to be a class act from moving from MD to TN to developing new versions of the M9 to providing excellent customer service.
    I remember those days as well. Even Ruger was butthurt that they didn't win.

Now Sig seems to be receiving a lot of the same hate. You can't please them all I guess.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I can't speak for all military bases, but yeah I'm under the impression most of them are pretty much maxed out on training area availability.

Can't spend more time at the range if there's no available range to spend time at, no ammo to shoot, and no truly qualified personnel to teach instead of relying on T3-type instructors like we use now.
    What is the cause of this I wonder? Legacy locations of established bases that used to be more isolated, but are now surrounded by development? Or is it something else?

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I remember those days as well. Even Ruger was butthurt that they didn't win.

Now Sig seems to be receiving a lot of the same hate. You can't please them all I guess.
    Oh god, imagine if the P85 somehow managed to win? I wonder how it would have held up through the years in service.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    What is the cause of this I wonder? Legacy locations of established bases that used to be more isolated, but are now surrounded by development? Or is it something else?
    Some of the reasons you cited plus many others.

One issue is simply building out the available land on the base. The area necessary for ranges is much larger than you think:

For safety purposes, each munitions training range is associated with a safety buffer area, called a surface danger zone (SDZ).

What is a Surface Danger Zone?

An SDZ is an area associated with a training range that is designed to protect people during weapons training. It may include land, water, and airspace. When a range is in active use, the SDZ is an exclusion area that is strictly controlled and could contain projectiles, fragments, or components from firing, launching, or detonating weapons and explosives.

An SDZ is comprised of three parts:

1. Weapons Firing Position: Position from which the munitions are fired.

2. Impact Area: The target or intended area of munitions impact where munitions and munitions fragments are expected to land.

3. Secondary Danger Area: A safety buffer area where fragments from munitions may land.

Code of Federal Regulations (Corps of Engineers, Department of the Army, Part 334 Danger Zones and Restricted Area Regulations, Section 440).

These regulations include safety procedures to ensure that the SDZs are clear of all personnel during training, and that the public is notified when training is conducted. The Department of Defense's current regulations require that SDZs be calculated so that there is only a one-in-one-million chance that munitions or munitions fragments would land outside the secondary danger area.
    Name:  Camp_Lej_SDZ_Direct_Fire_v1.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  38.6 KB

Name:  SDZ Small arms.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  82.5 KB

Name:  M855 Trajectory SDZ.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  42.2 KB

As you can see even common small arms require an SDZ of 3,000 to 4,000 meters .50 cal requires over 6,000 meters SDZ. That just what the .MIL considers "small."

Locally we have access to two military bases, technically three separate facilities all part of the same Joint base.

At one of these, we can only shoot pistol, shotgun and frangible 5.56 because some genius built base housing in the SDZ for regular rifle and MG ammo.

The other two are contiguous but are so full of old un exploded ordnance from WWII and Korea much of the training area is off limits. There is a 1,000 yard rifle range which was in use for years and is now limited to 100 yards because UXO was discovered buried in the range....

This second facility is also in the extended flight path of the local airport. No live fire may be conducted is any aircraft passing over head within view is under 3,000 feet. If there is cloud cover below 3,000 feet no live fire is permitted.

A good overview of SDZ can be found here: http://tacsafe.net/resources/range/i...angerzones.pdf
    Last edited by HCM; 09-23-2021 at 01:27 AM.

Site Supporter
    Double Tap
    Last edited by HCM; 09-23-2021 at 01:26 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Oh god, imagine if the P85 somehow managed to win? I wonder how it would have held up through the years in service.
    It probably would have done fine. Sure, I like the M9 more, and now mostly carry and shoot a Glock, but the Ruger would be just as easy to not shoot very much and not really know how to effectively use for most service people as the M9, M11, M17, or anything else.

User Tag List