Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How bad is the plumbing industry right now?

How bad is the plumbing industry right now?

I need something done at my house. What's going on is that there is a long run of PVC in my house that is unfortunately nearly level and it should be at a downward angle to drain properly. Couple that with a family that isn't so good about not putting grease, food, etc down the pipes and we have periodic clogged pipes. It needs cut out and reworked for a much better downward angle. I'm guessing it wouldn't be more than a few hundred, but who knows nowadays?
    #RESIST

I’ve heard the industry is pretty shitty all of the time.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Seriously, how is the access? Can you do it yourself?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    3” and 4” drain lines usually have slope spelled out in the building codes. I think 4” was 1/8” per foot, and 3” was 1/8” to 1/4” per foot in my old hometown. Supposedly to stop the water from running away from the solids and leaving them stranded.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Seriously, how is the access? Can you do it yourself?
    Access is good, maybe great. I just don’t know what the fuck I’m doing. I need to make it into much more of a downward angle.
    #RESIST

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
    3” and 4” drain lines usually have slope spelled out in the building codes. I think 4” was 1/8” per foot, and 3” was 1/8” to 1/4” per foot in my old hometown. Supposedly to stop the water from running away from the solids and leaving them stranded.
    I don't know the code*, but I do know you can have too much slope, for that exact reason.

LL, it may be a bigger job than you think. To get the correct slope, you may need to either raise all the points where the various drains tie into it, or lower the far end. If that runs through your foundation wall into a septic tank, you may need to drill a new hole both in your foundation and tank.

*if I take something apart I can put it back together, but plumbing is the one thing I've never really done on our new homes

So, this is what access looks like:

Name:  77E297B9-7821-4644-BFA0-BB02DA173608.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  106E321F-74F8-4104-8473-ADDA9704F286.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  30.5 KB

And here’s where it terminates. I think I just need to change where it terminates in order to give it more of a downward angle?

Name:  776A5A2B-3851-45E5-8742-6064CFEDB358.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  52.1 KB
    #RESIST

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Ok, great. As long as you don't have bathrooms or other fixtures tying into that line, looks like you just need to drop it where it ties into the lower drain line (which then presumably runs to whatever system handles your sewage).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Ok, great. As long as you don't have bathrooms or other fixtures tying into that line, looks like you just need to drop it where it ties into the lower drain line (which then presumably runs to whatever system handles your sewage).
    This. And if I were to do that here is where I’d cut.

Name:  0A3575EF-511D-4A18-B54D-E14B9B5020DE.jpeg
Views: 449
Size:  53.2 KB
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Deleted for Pre-mature postulation
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List