Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How bad is the plumbing industry right now?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

...and I would NOT hire someone that lives in your neighborhood nor try to cheap out by getting a guy for cash on the weekend.
    I work with a guy who does that. He recently was telling the tale of how he got a call one night from a couple that had their outlet line completely blocked. Goes over and it was jammed with these special "wipes" the wife uses instead of regular TP. Now, I didn't really understand this part as none of the houses I have lived in had a place to access the septic line other than at the ends but apparently this one does. It is also important to note that the husband had told the wife not to use the plumbing until they told her... So he has the line open and unclogs it. You can see where this is going. Husband: "Stop flushing the F***ing Toilet!" Wife: "But it's fixed?!" Husband: "No it's not F***ing fixed!" As previously mentioned, plumbing can be a shitty job.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I work with a guy who does that. He recently was telling the tale of how he got a call one night from a couple that had their outlet line completely blocked. Goes over and it was jammed with these special "wipes" the wife uses instead of regular TP. Now, I didn't really understand this part as none of the houses I have lived in had a place to access the septic line other than at the ends but apparently this one does. It is also important to note that the husband had told the wife not to use the plumbing until they told her... So he has the line open and unclogs it. You can see where this is going. Husband: "Stop flushing the F***ing Toilet!" Wife: "But it's fixed?!" Husband: "No it's not F***ing fixed!" As previously mentioned, plumbing can be a shitty job.
    Been there. We were snaking the cleanout. The snake had just finished removing some items that are small and white, resemble dead mice, and are literally intended to clog certain... orifices. There were more to remove and it was still clogged when someone decided to flush all the toliets, and we wound up with a very messy breakroom.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Years ago a friend of mine rented an apartment and had to call a plumber fairly soon after moving in.

"Hey man," says the plumber, "I don't care and I'm not judging, but you gotta stop flushing your needles." My friend then spent a couple hundred on bleach, alcohol, and a new toilet.

Site Supporter
    There is no such thing as "flushable" wipes.

My neighbor does septic install and service. Had a couple of his guys out with their SST (sh!t sucking truck) to clean out our tanks. Asked them, "ever find anything interesting in someones tank"? No body parts or anything like that, but one job they found a bunch of condoms clogging up the works, and advised client they should stop flushing condoms. Wife replies, " but we don't use condoms"?

Site Supporter
    Do you know where the clogs are forming? What are the slopes on the lines? The line coming into the main looks very flat, as it is above the joists for the entire run, and appears to cross rooms, so it has some run but not much rise. It looks like the main line has some/plenty of slope.

The following is assuming the main is sloped enough, and that the incoming line is not: I would figure out the heights to know how far to drop the smaller line. Then I would make three cuts, as shown. Move the main line Y back to give enough room for a long sweep 90 on the incoming line to rotate into the Y. Cut the old coupling out of the main line and replace with a repair coupling. So some math, a Y, a long sweep 90, a repair coupling, less than 3' of main pipe, 2-6" of incoming pipe, and cleaning supplies would drop that end of the pipe to get proper slope. Get rid of that cleanout at the same time.

It's not rocket science, but it could be a stress filled mess, and plumbers fix shit every day.

Name:  776A5A2B-3851-45E5-8742-6064CFEDB358.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  53.7 KB

Discovered a similar issue in my plumbing last year. The plumbers had it fixed in no time. It was a quick fix and something I wasn’t willing to tackle myself.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There is no such thing as "flushable" wipes.
    Correct.
    #RESIST

Update: got a pro recommended by @JV_ to take a look. Code calls for 6” of slope, I’ve got less than 2”. We are going to fix that with new pipe Saturday.
    #RESIST

We’ve been slacking on spreading the #BidetTruth

https://www.amazon.com/Veken-Ultra-S...1153602&sr=8-9
    #RESIST

User Tag List