Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Contemplating being done with the G43

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    100% the latter.

I get that people like them, but if you can carry either then you can carry a 19 without any of the 43X/48 cons.

However back to the topic, this thread is about the 43 which is a different gun with a useful envelope.

That is pretty much where I am. I get that there are some awesome little guns out there, but the majority still are optimally utilized in conjunction with a belt holster. I just can't see how they are really substantially greater than a basic G19. It does everything well, outside of pocket carry, and I would still prefer an enclosed hammer J Frame as a BUG for that.

A basic Gen 3 G19 has been a gold standard (for me) for a long time, for good reason.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program.

The 43 and 43X are different animals despite sharing 43 in their name.

I only have a little 48 experience, but have experience with a number of 43X pistols. Zero reliability issues with any of them. I find, compared to a 26, the longer grip of the 43X makes it easier to draw, easier to hang onto, and easier to drop the magazine than a 26. The thinner slide is easier for me to conceal than a 26.

If you look at the Glock pistols on the shelves at gun stores, the 19 and 43X are clearly two of the most popular models, and it is hard to find a 26.

The 43 probably made sense when the regular Shield was the competition, but in a world of the 365 and Shield Plus, the 43 seems large for its capacity, and hard to shoot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

You've given the reasons you don't like the G43. Let us know what you decide on to take its place. I was like that with my Sig P245, a 6-shot version of the P220 I bought years ago. On paper it sounded good.....a small 45acp. But after just one trip to the range, I found out it just didn't work for me. My biggest gripe was the small grip area, which for me, just wasn't enough for me to hold onto. In the case of the P245, my emotion overruled my ability to think that purchase through.

Site Supporter
    The 43/48 is neither fish nor foul for me. The vast majority of the time, I can conceal a G19 ( G26 for you) and have a gun that is far more capable to be shot rapidly and well. This is from a guy who's EDC was a G35 AIWB 90% of the time until COVID when I have been a bit more casual and not wearing a sport coat as a cover garment.

The few times a year when I think I want to go smaller, my response has been to go old skool with a j-frame. Even that is a bit of a size compromise as I put on a bigger set of grips because that was a software solution to the hardware problem of shooting the gun more to get better with it outside of the 0-5 yrd window.

Dump the G43. You could get a 26 and have the grip thinned down and likely have a much better set up for the youngsters in the house.

Alternatively, the pivot away from Glock completely to the SIG 365 platform is a way to go.

Let us know what you do.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    You've given the reasons you don't like the G43. Let us know what you decide on to take its place.
    I can replace it with a G26 in almost every instance. For ankle carry I can see the extra weight of the 26 being a no go. But I don't ankle carry.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    The 43/48 is neither fish nor foul for me. The vast majority of the time, I can conceal a G19 ( G26 for you) and have a gun that is far more capable to be shot rapidly and well. This is from a guy who's EDC was a G35 AIWB 90% of the time until COVID when I have been a bit more casual and not wearing a sport coat as a cover garment.

The few times a year when I think I want to go smaller, my response has been to go old skool with a j-frame. Even that is a bit of a size compromise as I put on a bigger set of grips because that was a software solution to the hardware problem of shooting the gun more to get better with it outside of the 0-5 yrd window.

Dump the G43. You could get a 26 and have the grip thinned down and likely have a much better set up for the youngsters in the house.

Alternatively, the pivot away from Glock completely to the SIG 365 platform is a way to go.

Let us know what you do.
    I am actually a chopped grip G17 guy most of the time. But a 19 can be used interchangeably as EDC belt gun.

The G26 is for biking, running and hiking where weight becomes more of an issue.

LCP (now LCP MAX) for when I need something truly tiny for the pocket.

I have considered just standardizing on the G19 slide length and chopping the grip on one to fulfill the "product improved" G26 with a rail role.

Due to my man-sized hands I struggled to shoot the 43 at speed because the grip was too small. The 26 grip was too short, never felt right when shooting strings of fire and led to pinched hands on reloads. The 43X is my small 9mm when I don’t want to carry the G45 or G19. I agree with @GJM above, the 43X is the sweet spot for me. Parted with the 43 and 26 years ago and no desire to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post
    Due to my man-sized hands I struggled to shoot the 43 at speed because the grip was too small. The 26 grip was too short, never felt right when shooting strings of fire and led to pinched hands on reloads. The 43X is my small 9mm when I don’t want to carry the G45 or G19. I agree with @GJM above, the 43X is the sweet spot for me. Parted with the 43 and 26 years ago and no desire to go back.
    Infidel!!!
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    100% the latter.

I get that people like them, but if you can carry either then you can carry a 19 without any of the 43X/48 cons.

However back to the topic, this thread is about the 43 which is a different gun with a useful envelope.
    That's my point. I view the 43/43X/48 as "When I Can't Carry a 19" guns. I'm not worried about how comfortable they are to shoot all day, because I'm never going to. They're comfortable to carry, but so is a 19 for me, so that's a non-issue.

The 43 excels at being concealable when, once again, I just can't carry a 19. And if I really want more ammo, I can get +2 mags. And if I do that I can just put the 43 slide on my 48 frame for 2 more rounds. But if I do that, the slide length isn't the issue - I can just carry the 48.

So the question for me is whether the 48/43X is any better than a 43 just to get 2 (or 4) extra rounds. And vice versa. Some days I'd tell you it is, some days I'd say it isn't.

And on most of those days I'm carrying a 19 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    That's my point. I view the 43/43X/48 as "When I Can't Carry a 19" guns. I'm not worried about how comfortable they are to shoot all day, because I'm never going to. They're comfortable to carry, but so is a 19 for me, so that's a non-issue.

The 43 excels at being concealable when, once again, I just can't carry a 19. And if I really want more ammo, I can get +2 mags. And if I do that I can just put the 43 slide on my 48 frame for 2 more rounds. But if I do that, the slide length isn't the issue - I can just carry the 48.

So the question for me is whether the 48/43X is any better than a 43 just to get 2 (or 4) extra rounds. And vice versa. Some days I'd tell you it is, some days I'd say it isn't.

And on most of those days I'm carrying a 19 anyway.

Maybe my issue (including with the below post) is that, to me, the 43X and 48 are emphatically NOT "when I can't carry a 19" guns. They are substitutes, or alternatives, to a 19. They take up almost the same footprint. They're a little more comfortable than the 19 since they're a little thinner and a little lighter, but for the vast majority of people outside a few niches like people with very small frames, they can not be concealed in any manner that you can't already conceal a 19.

The 43X and 48, rather than being a "when I can't carry a 19" gun, is the "I can carry a 19, but I find this a little more comfortable and I'm okay with 10 rounds since I'm just a civilian" gun.

Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post
    Not bitching at you, just thinking outloud:

I don't "get" this because the 43 is a gun that you can carry, conceptually, in roles that you typically can't make-do with a G19 or G45.*

The 43X is not.

The way my brain works, at least, the decision should not be 43 or 19 even though sure sometimes we all get lazy or feel like the smaller gun would just be "easier" to deal with right now. The way my brain works, the decision should be based on: I can carry a 43, or I can carry nothing.

I don't see the 43 as an substitute to the 19, and I don't understand why people keep bringing up the 43X and 48. So I don't understand why someone would have a revelation that the 43X or G48 is an easier shooting gun and buy it to replace the 43. The 43 is harder to draw and shoot as well because it's a smaller gun....the idea being the smaller gun can do things the bigger gun can't. Don't buy and carry the smaller two-finger gun if you don't need a small gun.

As a hyberbolic expression, it's sort of like saying, "I can't shoot a Glock 19 as well as I can shoot an AR15, so I bought an AR15 to replace the Glock 19". Well, no shit you're more effective with the AR15, but you supposedly bought the Glock 19 because you can carry the 19 in ways you can't carry an AR15.

I'm not sure if that makes sense with how I've written it.

*yes, I get it, some people can carry a Glock 34 XL Nuclear ZRT Roland Tactical Warfighter when wearing a banana hammock (or claim to, I have my doubts having been to a P-F.com event before and seeing what people consider effective concealment). Most people can't.
    Last edited by TGS; 09-07-2021 at 05:36 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List