Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Contemplating being done with the G43

Feels like people are in two camps about the 43, either they are comparing it to a 26 or similar for primary carry, or comparing it to a J-frame for "I can't carry a bigger gun" carry. I am in the latter group. I carry a double stack 9mm 80% of the time. For the other 20%, a G43 is better than a J-frame for shootability purposes (setting aside the argument that the J-frame might actually be better than double-stack 9mms for real situations real civilians get into in real life).

If I could snap my fingers and my G43 became a Shield Plus, I'd probably do it, but I don't have any regrets over the investment in the G43 because I am not that concerned about round capacity for the "better than a J-frame" gun, and I know the G43 works and will continue working. Also, I carry mine in a G48 holster when AIWB, because more barrel length conceals better, gun is far less concealable than a G19 AIWB in a true G43 holster.

And as for the G48, I spent the first decade of my EDC life in a state with a 10 round capacity limit. The most common solutions to this are 1) carry the large handgun with neutered magazines (did this with a PPQ, PX4c for a bit), 2) size up the caliber because "if I can only have 10 shots I want them to be ten .45s" (thank you reason number 2 for my HK45 which I still love, less happy about the stainless slide USPc .45 I sold, biggest gun-selling regret so far), 3) carry a smaller gun than you would to get <=10 rounds organically (did this with a P2000sk, G26, and PPS), or 4) become a 1911 guy (missed this one somehow).

I was smart enough to realize I shoot bigger guns better than small guns, and that there wasn't really any benefit to a larger caliber, so the hunt for a full-size 9mm with standard 10 round magazines was on. And there were none. The P239 was always of interest but never got into one. The G48 would have gotten me very excited back then, because what I wanted was a size-efficient 10 round Glock 19. I don't know if this is the primary market for this gun or not, but it makes a ton of sense to me.

Now that I am free (for the moment), not so much. I shoot it worse than a 19, it holds less than a 19, it doesn't share holsters or magazines with almost anything (which is one of the best things about Glocks), and I agree, it makes no sense as an option for one who has all the choices.
    Last edited by ScotchMan; 09-08-2021 at 02:45 PM.
    Join FPC

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    If you say a Glock 26 or whatever is "better" than a G43, tell me if it will fit my pants pocket. Will a P365 or one of the others chasing the 10 shot hideout niche?

I have various serviceable holster guns but find myself with a small one in my pocket most days.
    26 is a no-go for pocket carry for me. But so is a 43. A LCR or LCP works.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I can replace it with a G26 in almost every instance. For ankle carry I can see the extra weight of the 26 being a no go. But I don't ankle carry.
    I have a 26 and a 43. I’ve carried my 26 on my ankle for years. I don’t feel a difference between the two. I carry a 19 magazine for a reload. I can’t do that with my 43.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I have two G43s. In my experience it's the softest shooting 9mm I've ever shot. I also can't miss with the thing. It hits where I want it to.

I pocket carry it in a Vedder Pocket Locker kydex pocket holster. It fits well in the front pocket of Carhartt B357 ripstop cargo shorts. I carry it all day, with a spare mag in a Grizzle pocket spare mag carrier, and I don't even notice its there. I'm very pleased with my G43s.

43 works for me as a pocket gun. But so does a 26, in most pants.

The HH6 switched from her 43 to a 19, based on greater capacity and slight shoot ability edge during these.....troubled times.

I arrived at the G43X from the opposite perspective. Because I'm practically limited to 10 rounds off duty, I need a reliable 10 shot G19 sized pistol. The fact that the G43X is thinner and shorter is a bonus.

The driving factor is the very reliable 10 round magazine.

Reliable ten round OEM magazines are one of the best parts of a 26. The 43X is the smallest Glock that I can get a full firing grip on.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I agree that it's a chore to pocket-carry the G43, but it can be done - I carry it that way in a Borai holster and support the weight with two-point side clip trucker suspenders. It's not a chore to fire it, given that I use standard pressure (non-+P) ammunition, generally 124 gr Federal HST.

I've written it previously, but the mention of "hand-size" misses the point - it's more "finger length," I think. I suspect people with long fingers have their fingertips not on the grip of a G43, but rather on the base of their thumb instead, which allows the recoiling pistol to squirm a bit. My shorter fingers terminate on the grip and don't squirm at all. I shoot it much better than G19, g26, etc., given the more favorable trigger reach on the 43.

So, no, I haven't given up on the G43.
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 09-08-2021 at 09:05 PM.

In my opinion the 43 is a j frame/get off me gun replacement. The advantages are better sights, easier reloads, easier to shoot. An LCR would be pretty equal as far as sights go. The disadvantages of the 43 are it’s a little more difficult to defend in a FUT than a j frame, more difficult to draw, and more difficult to pocket carry.

I’ve been a big fan of the 43x and 48. I actually like the 43x better than the 48. For me it’s a little more shootable. The sights track better under recoil.

I’m dating again for the first time in almost 30 years so that’s the perspective I’m coming from.

I’ve been having a conversation with myself and a good friend of mine about carry guns. When I need a small gun I need a small gun. If I want to dress up nice I need something that I can drop in a pocket or tuck a nice shirt over. The 43x doesn’t really fit that roll. The 43 comes close but it’s still to heavy to pocket carry in a suit. The 42 is much closer honestly but it’s a little big too really. I’ve been on a lot of dates carrying the 48 and not one female companion has noticed unless I revealed the fact. But that’s with more casual dress. I’ve gone on several dates without a pistol because dress didn’t allow for it.

Long story short. I’m working with a 19 size gun again for every day carry. I’m using a 17 size gun for a match gun. I’m still looking for the ideal small gun to fit the situations outlined above. I’ve been kick around the idea of a j frame or LCR for my little gun again. I think it’ll fit that role if I do a little work with my tailor. Maybe.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    carry in a suit
    That's interesting because one of the main uses for my G43 is to carry when I have a tucked-in shirt but am wearing a jacket (suit, or sportcoat/blazer). I normally carry full-size guns AIWB, so something short and thin for 4 o'clock carry is needed, and the 43 has been perfect in my JMC IWB 3 for those situations.
    Join FPC

User Tag List