Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are dry fire traing systems worthwhile?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    My friend has a Mantis. I believe that it is very useful for new shooters in developing a "steady hand". More advanced shooters may not see as much of a benefit.

At some point you will learn to "beat the game", but/and that will show in your live ammo shooting.

Personally, I made the quickest progress when I finally bought a shot timer.
    I dig it. The Active Self Protection Extra YouTube channel (sponsored by Mantis) has a lot of good info on using it. I had version 1, which was only designed for static shooting. The new version is apparently able to measures draws, movement, strings of fire and live fire, which seems more useful.
    David S.

I'll throw in my 2 cents, but take it with a grain of salt, as I'm just a C-class shooter, working to improve.

With a DA/SA gun, I agree that you can just dry fire in DA mode. I never understood the concern about the DA to SA transition. When I shot P228s and P229s, I never had any real problem with the short light SA pull, it was the longer heavy DA pull I had to work on. When I got decent at working the DA pull, the SA seemed almost like cheating, when going from 10.5# down to 4#.

Now, with my Glock, I use a DryFireMag, but I put in the spring that simulates the 6.5-7# trigger pull. So getting decent at working the trigger at 6.5#, makes the stock 5.5# seem much easier.

JCN has also convinced me that using a MRDS in dry fire pays off big time when switching to irons. For the last couple of weeks I've been switching back and forth between a dot and irons (again big thanks to JCN for loaning me a slide and barrel, with a MRDS). It has forced me to be much more consistent and smooth in my press out, and with the dot movement that might seem very small, or unnoticeable with irons, is quite obvious with the dot. That has forced me to be much more focused on a clean trigger press.

With regard to the Mantis X, I haven't seen enough value in it to justify the cost. My DryFireMag has the Mantis-X built in, and I saw some small value initially in the draw analysis, but not enough to justify the cost. If I were doing it again I would have saved the extra cash, and skipped the Mantis-X. That said, mine obviously can't be used for live fire, so I don't have any experience with using it for that.

I like the BarrelBlok idea and orderd one; good safety perspective.

In my opinion, after owning the CoolFire system and using it a decent amount, pure dry fire is about 90% as good. I ended up spending most of my training time refilling the barrel and less time actually training it seemed.

The SIRT, in my honest opinion, is even less useful, especially if you use a dot or non-Glock. The laser can create bad habits in *some* shooters, as they will end up searching for the laser instead of focusing on the sights. And, if you run a dot, you don't need a laser to confirm hits.

I'm kind of where JCN is. You can do the vast majority of your training with 3 targets on the wall. I have a full dry fire room with targets, a few simulated plate racks, a few mini stages, and some Steel Challenge banners, but I still spend the majority of my time on the 3 targets.

It seems the best way is what it always has been - spend 30-90 minutes per day doing traditional dry fire on a timer and hit up the range 1+ time per week to at least confirm that your dry fire is translating. The hard part is having the discipline to do this and it is where I often fail.

This is all my own opinion, ymmv.

If you're patient, I'm working on a series of dry practice videos from very low end to mid range to higher end options. My time has been eaten by family illnesses this year but if I can get the time, I'll have something up by the end of the year.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    If you're patient, I'm working on a series of dry practice videos from very low end to mid range to higher end options. My time has been eaten by family illnesses this year but if I can get the time, I'll have something up by the end of the year.
    "sounds really good;I will watch for it.

I strongly recommend a blue training gun.

I have a kid, and the blue training gun allows me to have a "gun" that I can leave out for dryfire. I did a little work to make the sights more life like. I target focus most of the time anyway, so having a target in the garage and my blue gun on the bench lets me get a few reps everytime I change laundry or grab a tool.

Plus, a blue gun can be used to get reps on draws and the like. It's handy to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I strongly recommend a blue training gun.

I have a kid, and the blue training gun allows me to have a "gun" that I can leave out for dryfire. I did a little work to make the sights more life like. I target focus most of the time anyway, so having a target in the garage and my blue gun on the bench lets me get a few reps everytime I change laundry or grab a tool.

Plus, a blue gun can be used to get reps on draws and the like. It's handy to have.
    I have used real guns for try fire that I have removed or modified strikers for safety.
    Still no real ammo around of course.

I have also used this which might work for you:
    https://www.amazon.com/Omega-Interna.../dp/B00QL1AMVY

Basically a chamber lock that you need a tool to remove. Use it like a snap cap.

I personally think trigger training is useful in dry fire so I don’t want to give that up.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I have used real guns for try fire that I have removed or modified strikers for safety.
    Still no real ammo around of course.

I have also used this which might work for you:
    https://www.amazon.com/Omega-Interna.../dp/B00QL1AMVY

Basically a chamber lock that you need a tool to remove. Use it like a snap cap.

I personally think trigger training is useful in dry fire so I don’t want to give that up.
    Trigger training is definitely useful. I think often the low hanging fruit lays with vision. A good enough grip can cover shitty trigger many times. I do make a point to dryfire my DA occassionally, but it's a particular focus when I do it.

A blue gun just works well for my home firearm safety needs.
    Last edited by Cory; 09-14-2021 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Trigger training is definitely useful. I think often the low hanging fruit lays with vision. A good enough grip can cover shitty trigger many times. I do make a point to dryfire my DA occassionally, but it's a particular focus when I do it.

A blue gun just works well for my home firearm safety needs.
    Especially when you just leave it out by the coffee maker...

http://instagram.com/p/Br5RtvbnHI7/

User Tag List