Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are dry fire traing systems worthwhile?

Are dry fire traing systems worthwhile?

Which dry fire kit is most recommended and truly useful?

Nothing and everything

No kit is going to be useful without your own motivation and ability to critically self assess yourself.

Any kit can be useful if you have those personal and intellectual skills.

To make Master in USPSA I used three brown index cards taped to the wall.

I have used and tried and owned almost everything and nothing matters if you don’t have good observational skills and a problem solving mind.

It’s like asking “what diet system works?”

I agree with your comments, however, 'hoping for experienced users to compare and contrast various systems.

Quote Originally Posted by gunrascal View Post
    I agree with your comments, however, 'hoping for experienced users to compare and contrast various systems.
    Yes, but what systems are you talking about and for what goal? Your scope is very wide.

Different dry setups work better for different levels of ability.

IMO the best dry setup is a DA gun and a red dot sight. The targets and system don’t matter much at all.

For people without any insight, desire or ability to self correct, the MantisX system or laser bullet enabled systems work okay but they don’t offer the level of versatility and applicability as you observing sight placement on trigger press.

Correctly "going through the motions" involved in dry practice enhances your stability of performance for:

1.) gun access,
    2.) the draw,
    3.) grip,
    4.) target acquisition,
    5.) trigger control.

It cannot be anything but helpful if practiced correctly and safely.

The only aspect of the firing sequence it can't help is recoil recovery.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Which dry fire kit is most recommended and truly useful?
    This one.

http://instagram.com/p/BsGfPHZncnx/

IMO the best dry setup is a DA gun and a red dot sight. The targets and system don’t matter much at all.
    I agree with this. The goal is to learn to read and interpret your sighting system. Nothing does that better than using your sighting system.

A RDS is easier to interpret than iron sights, so I find it the most useful tool.
    Laser devices distract you from what you should be focused on. BTDT
    A SIRT without lasers makes a ton of sense as a dry fire tool. With lasers, it makes a ton of sense as an instructional prop.
    I could see limited potential value of a Mantis device for an irons shooter, but after a month or so with a RDS, 95+% Mantis scores were no big deal. BTDT. The new units that measure draws and live fire might be more useful.

I have a BarrelBlok on order. I think it makes a ton of sense from a safety perspective.

If it gets you over a hump or is a catalyst for you putting in the work over time, then it has value.
    David S.

Informative post David. Which RDS do you recommend for sig 250 and 229 both 9mm?

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I agree with this. The goal is to learn to read and interpret your sighting system. Nothing does that better than using your sighting system.

A RDS is easier to interpret than iron sights, so I find it the most useful tool.
    Laser devices distract you from what you should be focused on. BTDT
    A SIRT without lasers makes a ton of sense as a dry fire tool. With lasers, it makes a ton of sense as an instructional prop.
    I could see limited potential value of a Mantis device for an irons shooter, but after a month or so with a RDS, 95+% Mantis scores were no big deal. BTDT. The new units that measure draws and live fire might be more useful.

I have a BarrelBlok on order. I think it makes a ton of sense from a safety perspective.

If it gets you over a hump or is a catalyst for you putting in the work over time, then it has value.
    My friend has a Mantis. I believe that it is very useful for new shooters in developing a "steady hand". More advanced shooters may not see as much of a benefit.

At some point you will learn to "beat the game", but/and that will show in your live ammo shooting.

Personally, I made the quickest progress when I finally bought a shot timer.

Informative post David. Which RDS do you recommend for sig 250 and 229 both 9mm?
    That is going to be super subjective. I suggest you check out one of the recent RDS threads. TLDR: I personally think the Holosun products give the best balance of durability, features and price for general purpose use. The adjustable RMR is another solid GP choice, but more expensive, no reticle choices, smaller window, and you have to remove it to replace the battery. The SRO excels for competition and the ACRO for duty.

For a temporary solution, you can pick up a EGW mount that fits in the rear sight dovetail for $50. I used it as a cheap, non destructive way to "test drive" the dot before committing to milling my slides. Of course, there are downsides: It obviously sits significantly higher than your iron sights or a milled-in RDS, which takes some getting used to. You have to develop a new index that doesn't apply to your normal index. IMO, it's not durable enough for carry use. But, it's cheap and easy.

I suspect any of the normal mill shops will take on both of them if you decide to go all in on the dot. I've used Vulcan Machine Works in Plano, TX. FWIW, I believe The SIG Armorer outsources his RDS mill work to them.
    David S.

User Tag List