Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holosun 503CU pooped the bed, or why you still need BUIS

Holosun 503CU pooped the bed, or why you still need BUIS

Hey guys,

Over the last few month I have bought three Holsun 503Cu to put on some of the zillion guns I have laying around. On my personal protection weapons I basically only fiddle with Aimpoint, Acog, and RMR. But I don't mind putting "Chinesium" on my pure hobby stuff. Well, this one just went weird. I was shooting my X-95 all day and I had it nice and zeroed. And I had only made maybe two adjustments to the brightness. But, right as I was about to pack up I noticed it was dead as disco. Unfortunately it uses a couple of little screws to hold in the tray so there isn't a way to check the battery unless you have a tiny jewler's screwdriver with you. I was reminded why you really shouldn't skip on the BUIS. Keep them, don't fall for it.

Anyway, later I swapped out the battery and it worked. At first I just assumed the battery must have died after two months....yuck but that is an answer. But something told me to swap it back and sure enough the "dead" battery worked. I decided to ditch it anyway because maybe it is failing and I am just getting intermittent power. I put in a new battery...dead. Then I reseated it again and it worked. Looks like I have a wonky connector or something like that. I guess it is time to send back to Holsun but I am sure they will turn it on and say there isn't anything wrong (and they will appear to be right).

Just a data point, I am not condemning all holosuns. But I do think we should all keep our BUIS.

Or don’t own a zillion cheap junk optics

Site Supporter
    Stop feeding the Monster. Period. End.Of. Subject. Full. Stop.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Or don’t own a zillion cheap junk optics
    I've got a Holosun on my Beretta 1301, I can't kill it, and that includes a @TCinVA shotgun class. That's just one example that I can think of.
    #RESIST

Is Holosun cheap junk? I have no experience. I assumed it was, but have been hearing good things about them recently. And have heard they are stealing IP from aimpoint. Since Chinese manufacturing is likely better than ours at this point, I wouldn't be surprised to find out they are even better than aimpoints.

I looked on their website and see one model costs as much as an aimpoint!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Hey guys,

Over the last few month I have bought three Holsun 503Cu to put on some of the zillion guns I have laying around. On my personal protection weapons I basically only fiddle with Aimpoint, Acog, and RMR. But I don't mind putting "Chinesium" on my pure hobby stuff. Well, this one just went weird. I was shooting my X-95 all day and I had it nice and zeroed. And I had only made maybe two adjustments to the brightness. But, right as I was about to pack up I noticed it was dead as disco. Unfortunately it uses a couple of little screws to hold in the tray so there isn't a way to check the battery unless you have a tiny jewler's screwdriver with you. I was reminded why you really shouldn't skip on the BUIS. Keep them, don't fall for it.

Anyway, later I swapped out the battery and it worked. At first I just assumed the battery must have died after two months....yuck but that is an answer. But something told me to swap it back and sure enough the "dead" battery worked. I decided to ditch it anyway because maybe it is failing and I am just getting intermittent power. I put in a new battery...dead. Then I reseated it again and it worked. Looks like I have a wonky connector or something like that. I guess it is time to send back to Holsun but I am sure they will turn it on and say there isn't anything wrong (and they will appear to be right).

Just a data point, I am not condemning all holosuns. But I do think we should all keep our BUIS.

I routinely have taken jeweler’s screwdrivers and flared battery connections to sit snugger on all kinds of optics.

It’s nothing new and 10 seconds fixes the issue permanently.

I’ve done this with flickering Vortex and the RMR type I was notorious for this until they introduced a sealing plate to help.

Don’t get me started on Sig Optics. I’d trust Holosun 10x over before any Sig Optic I have used.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I routinely have taken jeweler’s screwdrivers and flared battery connections to sit snugger on all kinds of optics.

It’s nothing new and 10 seconds fixes the issue permanently.

I’ve done this with flickering Vortex and the RMR type I was notorious for this until they introduced a sealing plate to help.

Don’t get me started on Sig Optics. I’d trust Holosun 10x over before any Sig Optic I have used.
    I always thought Holosun made Sig optics?!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

They have been getting better and better. I think they are CHICOM mil issue. At least that is the rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Is Holosun cheap junk? I have no experience. I assumed it was, but have been hearing good things about them recently. And have heard they are stealing IP from aimpoint. Since Chinese manufacturing is likely better than ours at this point, I wouldn't be surprised to find out they are even better than aimpoints.

I looked on their website and see one model costs as much as an aimpoint!

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I always thought Holosun made Sig optics?!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    I think Sig optics are the cheap versions of the Holosun made at the same electronics plant?

Who knows. The Sig Optics customer service warranty department know me very well.

To their credit, they do have a good warranty. Maybe this one will survive on a frame mounted unit.

The Sig Romeo 3 Max and XL are made in the same plant as the CMore RTS2 in Japan.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List