Thread: Bezel Up or Bezel Down Lights?

Bezel Up or Bezel Down Lights?

In my quest to finally buy a new light for EDC after not carrying a light for maybe a decade or more, I had a kind friend lend me a malkoff bodyguard for the last month. It’s a beautiful light and it looks like if Apple computer designed a light.

I thought it’s be perfect for me because it runs bezel down and I thought that’s what I wanted in case the light ND’d. Well I’ve been clipping it to elastic gym shorts in the 8 o clock position, I’m right handed, so it lets me draw with my weak hand. And being 8 o clock, it doesn’t extend my side to side profile like 9 o clock would

The problem is while I thought this was the orientation I wanted, my instinct is to shove my thumb down into my shorts, thumb the bezel, and pull the light out in the opposite orientation. Which would be perfect if I was bezel up.

So I’m wondering, if bezel up is better for running a light on the back half of your body (between 3 o clock and 9 clock) and bezel down better for front half of your body.

Or how you guys decide on preference.

I’ve always carried bezel up regardless of where the flashlight is on my body but that just my preference. My EDC flashlight is in my left front pocket bezel down.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I only carry lights that will accommodate a Thyrm Switchback, so I always carry bezel down in front of a spare mag at around 9:30-10:00. I carry in various nylon belt pouches depending on the light.

Name:  Fenix 2.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  36.6 KB

Site Supporter
    For any light I carry clipped in a pocket I prefer support side bezel down (usually a SF single cell Backup). When I draw it I pinch it between my thumb and index finger, and as I remove it I draw it up into my hand so that my thumb is positioned to be able to activate (push) the tail cap and all four fingers are wrapped around the body of the light. This gives me good positive control over the light, and should I need to handle anything else I can open up some fingers (as Mike Pannone demonstrates in one of his SureFire Field Notes videos).
    Polite Professional

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    For any light I carry clipped in a pocket I prefer support side bezel down (usually a SF single cell Backup). When I draw it I pinch it between my thumb and index finger, and as I remove it I draw it up into my hand so that my thumb is positioned to be able to activate (push) the tail cap and all four fingers are wrapped around the body of the light. This gives me good positive control over the light, and should I need to handle anything else I can open up some fingers (as Mike Pannone demonstrates in one of his SureFire Field Notes videos).
    Same same here for pocket carry using either an SF E1B or an SL Protac 1L/1AA. My duty rig is set up with a kydex bezel down holster for the SF Fury at the 11:30 position.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Site Supporter
    I carry a Streamlight 1L/1AA everyday. If I have pants on its in or clipped on a pocket. If its clipped its bezel down. Its always on the left side (I'm right handed).

Site Supporter
    I carry my Malkoff Bodyguard V2 bezel down in a Kydex pouch in front of my spare magazines. When I grab it in a natural hand position, my thumb is right by the tail switch.

When I carry the Bodyguard V1, it is normally loose my pocket. I typically have a folding knife clipped to the top of that pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I think it depends on how you carry it, but I've used one of these on a duty belt for many years. It originally carried a Z2, then a G2 and now carries a 6PX. I much prefer bezel down.

https://cpwsa.com/magazine-pouches/2...ght-pouch.html

I've carried both ways and don't find it makes much of a difference. Hypothetically, bezel up alerts you to an accidental activation, but today's lights get so hot so fast this isn't really a problem. Hypothetically, bezel down, protects the crystal from scratches and debris, but I haven't broken a flashlight crystal (lens) in probably 20 years...nor scratched one so it was unusable.

So, whatever works best for the way you carry the light as @KevH mentioned.

ETA: I no longer clip a light to my pocket. I use a little pouch I made out of leather to hold my light, epipen, and a spare pistol mag inside my left pocket (I am right handed). And after acquiring some trousers which have a clever hidden clip pocket for pocket tools, my knife clip is no longer exposed either.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-06-2021 at 10:02 PM.

User Tag List