Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adjustable sight suggestions for a Series 80 1911

Adjustable sight suggestions for a Series 80 1911

I have an Enhanced Government Model 1911 that I home modded many years ago. This was a Series 80 GM that had a flat top rib, like an unserrated version of a Gold Cup. It runs well, but I never got around to having proper adjustable sights installed. It has a staked front (no dovetail) and I replaced the GI style rear with a King’s fixed sight that overhangs the back of the slide - it was the best I could do myself for cheap. My original plan was a buried and melted Bomar, but I never had the spare money.

I’d like to resolve this. What is suggested these days for low profile but large sight picture 1911 sights, the modern day equivalent of the Bomar barn door rear blade? I’m expecting to have a smith do this work. I’d like a front dovetail at the same time.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I am a fan of the Harrison rear sight.

If my Baer rear ever needs replaced or I choose to go with a fixed version in the existing dovetail, it will most likely be one by him.

http://www.harrisoncustom.com/Gallery.aspx

Like you, one of these days I will do a few upgrades to this old 80S. But it is simply a workhorse gun that gets carried and banged around. This pic was taken this last week in north east Montana around the Charles M Russell Wildlife area as I was on my way back from Glasgow. Yet again I managed to survive carrying an outdated pistol, in a leather holster

I would install a Harrison Retro rear in the stock dovetail.

No point in molesting a nice slide with an adjustable sight cut. Because after the adjustable rear falls apart a few times, you’ll realize that the only time you actually adjust the sights is when you replace it because it fell apart.

And now you have a hacked up slide and you end up with one those fugly Harrison space shuttle rears to get rid of the adjustable.

Why do you want an adjustable sight?

Short of shooting substantially different types of ammo frequently (switching from say factory 230gr FMJ to say 185gr light loads) there isn't a whole lot of reason to use and adjustable sight.

If you do, a buried and protected Bo-Mar (Kensight now) would be the way to go.

Dawson has Novak-like adjustables. Check and see if they have one that works with the existing dovetail, otherwise any Harrison is a solid choice.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

While I have not worn out or damaged an adjustable sight, I don't feel compelled to add them, either.
    I have twiddled them as I changed load preferences, but I don't shoot PPC any more or Bullseye where they get run up and down every day, either.

I HAVE worn out a fixed sight! My pet Colt 1991A1 9mm IDPA ESP had the same King's National Match fixed rear as the OP. After some years of regular use, it simply broke off, right behind the dovetail, in the middle of a match. A considerate shooter loaned me his spare gun to finish with. King's is long out of business, so I bought a Novak Competition sight which still fits the GI dovetail and hangs over the rear of the slide for that "barn door" sight picture. Fortunately it is near enough the same height as the old King's that I did not have to change the front sight to keep elevation the same.

My recommendation to the OP is to keep what he has. A neat adjustable installation, the "buried Nomar" and a cross dovetail front sight will cost hundreds of bucks in parts and installation.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Adjustable rear sight

Harrison parts are fantastic.
    Glad that Mackey made it, probably needs therapy from carrying that old thing.

Site Supporter
    I liked the 10-8 NM rear sight personally. Only problem is it's not very wide.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Why do you want an adjustable sight?

Short of shooting substantially different types of ammo frequently (switching from say factory 230gr FMJ to say 185gr light loads) there isn't a whole lot of reason to use and adjustable sight.

If you do, a buried and protected Bo-Mar (Kensight now) would be the way to go.
    Exactly for that reason. The vast majority of my handguns have fixed sights, but with this 1911. I’m likely to be switching back and forth between ball and light target loads.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List