Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable sight suggestions for a Series 80 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Call me weird, but I think that is a cool sight.

I'd D&T a set screw in that rear, cut a dovetail up front for a brass bead front sight and call that one good to go!

It looks correct for the age of the gun too.

Maybe have Wayne Novak do a stipple (versus checkering) on the front strap and be done.

Lost River:

As to stippling, I decided to do my own. I am of Scottish descent (meaning I am thrifty) and figured I'd save some money doing the work myself. I prefer stippling to checkering because for folks who really carry guns, eventually you bang up/beat up the checkering. I did some research and found a punch and started working on an FN High Power. I later did a Government Model. The results turned out well and I didn't have to spend a bunch of money or send my guns away for an extended period of time. The hardest part was doing the first strike. After that I was pretty easy. One thing I learned was that the size of the stippling indentations can be altered by using a different size hammer.

If you visit with our mutual friend in Salmon this month, I'll show you the work.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Heavy Duty:

Wayne Novak's shop in Parkersburg West Virginia has cut front and rear dovetails for me in the past. They did a FN High Power for me. I just sent the slide in with directions for what I wanted done. I had them leave the front sight extra tall so I could cut it down to match the loads I wanted to zero the gun for. I assume, but have not confirmed that they re still offering the service. I am not sure they offer the service for Bomar Sights (They used to). That said, Novak offers an elevation adjustable rear sight that fits in a standard Novak rear dovetail. In fact the Colt Competition Government Models come standard with that sight. Hopefully that helps.

Bruce
    I just looked, it appears they only mill for their own sights now. I’m not sure what I think about the sight picture they offer for this gun, I really want a big, flat serrated blade. But it’s definitely a possibility.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    You can try these guys for installing sights.

https://clarkcustomguns.com/gunsmith...s-scope-bases/
    They are offering a low cut, this is definitely an option. Thank you!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

From reading, apparently the LPA cut is a little simpler than the Bomar cut - it skips a tapped hole. I also saw hints the LPA mounts lower on a Series 80. I’ll keep researching, at this moment subject to change I’m leaning toward a LPA cut Dawson.

Great info, people - thank you!
    Ken

Just ran across this on EGW’s site - a useful chart. They also go into detail about some of the differences:

https://www.egwguns.com/1911-dovetails

Name:  70A8923C-2F71-4799-87EA-374AB82D04A3.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  72.0 KB
    Ken

I remember now that the cut they make for a Series 80 vs a Series 70 gun is slightly different. I think the Series 80 firing pin safety requires the sight overhang the rear more.

Wilson makes a no-dovetail adjustable sight, looks like a Bomar but mounts into a "pocket" that they say is simpler to cut than a dovetail. $210 installed. FO front sight is another $80.

Does Dawson install their own sights?
    I have seen hints that they would work on guns but they don't show gunsmithing on their www.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Why do you want an adjustable sight?

Short of shooting substantially different types of ammo frequently (switching from say factory 230gr FMJ to say 185gr light loads) there isn't a whole lot of reason to use and adjustable sight.

If you do, a buried and protected Bo-Mar (Kensight now) would be the way to go.
    I have Kensight's "Novak" style adjustable rear on two SA Operators now. Reason is that I want the POI just above the front post at 25 yards. One had POI 5-6" high and the other's POI was down behind the tritium dot somewhere. A POI 4-5" below the top of the front post at 25 yards.

https://stores.kensight.com/kensight...blade-860-639/
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Wilson makes a no-dovetail adjustable sight, looks like a Bomar but mounts into a "pocket" that they say is simpler to cut than a dovetail. $210 installed. FO front sight is another $80.

Does Dawson install their own sights?
    I have seen hints that they would work on guns but they don't show gunsmithing on their www.
    That is exactly what I’m looking for! Back in the day I always wanted the old “buried” cut Bomar that was clean like this.
    Ken

Bomars on S80's can't be set low like on a S70. I'd stick with an adjustable that fits in a novak cut. Don't get me wrong, as two of the very best 1911's I've ever owned were s80 with bomars, they just hang back a bit.

The raised rib on the Enhanced model will make the sight look lower, so what you'll see is the sight moved back a little

Also, If you think that you might want to replace a bomar with a fixed sight, some fixed sights will be incompatible with a "deluxe" bomar cut.

The wilson sight was developed by Ned Christiansen, IIRC
    Last edited by theJanitor; 09-07-2021 at 11:08 AM.

User Tag List