Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: How to use Ching sling on Steyr Scout

RFI: How to use Ching sling on Steyr Scout

My friend recently purchased Steyr Scout that came with a factory Ching sling. However, we couldn't figure out the proper way to mount, adjust and use it. Should the rear swivel be on left side for right handed shooter, etc... He could use but it never felt right. I did find one video that seems to offer some insight. I would appreciate any more directions on the proper use of it.

I don't remember which sling shipped on the Scout.

The Galco uses one main strap that runs from the forward swivel to the rear swivel with an intermediate "runner" attached to the center swivel. You have to find the right place for the rubber washer thing based on the loop that fits the main shooter's anatomy. You have to detach the runner to sling the rifle over your back.

Other versions attach the main strap to the forward and center swivels like the original CW sling, with the runner going back to the rear swivel.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Andy's Leather makes great iterations of the Rhodesian and Ching slings if your buddy's sling is in terrible shape. I have a couple of his slings.

Il Ling is good rifle instructor. Here is another video talking about Rhodesian/Ching sling use.

https://www.thewilderness.com/pdf_in...Chingsling.pdf

Here is a link to the Wilderness Ching Sling instructions. I forgot which connection needed a twist to it before you connected it to the swivel stud but it shows its the front one in the instructions. You use the hasty sling technique in the video but arm goes through the sling between the front and middle swivel.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Since we are talking Ching slings, PF's own @SLG developed an excellent version for AR's the PIG SMS (Swift Mechanical Support) Sling as produced (or previously produced) by SKD tactical.

https://skdtac.com/pig-sms-swift-mec...ling-patented/

Unfortunately they have been out of stock for years.

Name:  SMS Sling.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  73.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Since we are talking Ching slings, PF's own @SLG developed an excellent version for AR's the PIG SMS (Swift Mechanical Support) Sling as produced (or previously produced) by SKD tactical.

The SMS works very well. I’ve used it out to 300-400 yards on one of my ARs. I’d really like to get a couple more. I’ve emailed SKD a couple times. Maybe they’ll make some more one of these days.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

I am really surprised that this sling is not more widely used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    The SMS works very well. I’ve used it out to 300-400 yards on one of my ARs. I’d really like to get a couple more. I’ve emailed SKD a couple times. Maybe they’ll make some more one of these days.
    I have two and would like more. Sounds like we need to start an email campaign.

Umm, Magpul has an excellent variant which blends the 1907 and Rhodesian; it's called their RLS (Rifle Loop Sling) and it costs a massive $15-$20... Best, Jon

User Tag List