Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Staggered Mini-9 Discussion

I have my Shield Plus on now. I like it much better than the original Shield as the grip seems more solid in my hand. I only have 100-150 rounds through it but also recently received more magazines. I was carrying a 2.0 Compact 40 but the Plus gives me the same round count in a smaller, lighter package. It is somewhat less “shootable” than a larger pistol. I shot the FBI PQC with it and dropped a few rounds where I typically do not with a bigger pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I'm pondering options on slimline guns after going through a P365XL (not robust enough), P365 (wife's, but too small for me anyway), G43X (too snappy) and a direct milled G48 that did not prove reliable enough with carry ammo. Since selling the G48, I picked up a G19 Gen 5 MOS+507c, which I am pretty happy with AIWB for daily carry, but want something between that and the Ruger LCR which I use for taking the trash out. For this purpose, I probably just stick with irons; I'm not sure a dot fits into my use case for a thin 10 round subcompact.

I was going to go rent a G43, but 6+1 in OEM mags, plus the apparent lack of availability of SCDs has gotten me widening the aperture of small single stack 9s beyond Glocks, and well, here I am in this thread.

So, specifically: With regard to the Shield Plus (3.1" barrel, SKU 13249), these have been out for what, since March this year? How have they been faring? Any recurring issues or common problems?
    What issues were you having with the P365XL?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post

G43X / P2000SK

Dimensions
    Glock G43X MOS
    Length: 6.5 in
    Height: 5.04 in
    Width: 1.1 in
    Weight: 18.55 oz
    Barrel: 3.41 in
    Heckler & Koch P2000 SK
    Length: 6.4 in
    Height: 4.55 in
    Width: 1.27 in
    Weight: 24 oz
    Barrel: 3.26 in
    The problem (for me) is the weight aspect when considering the P2Ksk or other small double stack 9s. While dimensions are smaller, the weight puts it into unloaded G19 and loaded G26/P365/43x territory. I had the PX4sc years ago, but the weight made it feel like a brick on the hip despite the small dimensions.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    What issues were you having with the P365XL?
    Well, let's see. I owned it four months and shot 641 rounds. It had no malfunctions, and was accurate. Felt great in the hand. I carried it in a Vedder Lighttuck behind the hip, or pocket carried it in a Desantis Nemesis. I flew to SLC with it last year and brought it on a two-week vacation driving trip through the mountains. It carried fine.

I bought an OWB holster and took it to a USPSA match. Reloading a dropped mag after a stage, I noticed the follower had barfed out the top of the tube. I kinda sorta just stuffed it back in on the spot, but that startled me. Later I found you could literally lever the followers out of the tube fairly easily with a plastic fork, which was not confidence inspiring.

It also had this odd "hitch" in the take up of the trigger, which I traced to the FCU rocking back and forth about 0.1" in the grip module. It only manifested itself in Dry Practice. Lastly, I read persistent accounts of rust at the sights, as well on magazines. Not helping matters was the affordability was the cost of Sig magazines, which were in Arm and Leg territory.

At the time I wanted to transition to AIWB, and I was coming from a perspective of a gadget-equipped Glock. Plus, well, Sig. So, like I said, it was not robust enough for what I wanted.

I switched to Gen 5 Glocks in 2017 in large part due to the SCD, and have been content shooting them since. Having been through the G43X and G48, the next most obvious answer is a G43. I'm seeing a lot of activity from Shield Arms which would indicate their long-awaited aftermarket G43 mag is to be released. A reliable 9 (or 10?) round Glock 43 would be great; "but" I would really want to have an SCD if I was going to stay with a Glock, carrying AIWB. Plus, I didn't like the P365 size, and based on shooting a rental G43 a while ago, it is really small for me.

So, with the apparent lack of availability of SCDs at the moment, and no information about when they might be available, I might as well consider other SFA options.

Hence the Shield Plus. I really need to go find one of these to rent.

I remember the mag follower issue you had now. I need to look at mine - I have two ten round and one 12.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List