Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Staggered Mini-9 Discussion

Staggered Mini-9 Discussion

Figured it would be good to have a general, consolidated discussion of the virtues and vices of the various new tiny 10+ round 9mms.

Of the current reputable makers, we have:

-Glock 43x: works, but needs aftermarket mags for 15 rounds capacity
    -Glock 48: the above, except the RSA should be bigger
    -Sig P365: works, but it's a modern production Sig
    -Shield Plus: a bit on the too new side

Which is what I've read here, but I've been wrong before. Please feel free to correct me.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

You about hit the highlights for big names. The Glocks only need the S15 mags to be more size efficient. The factory mags work great just don't hold the capacity for the longer grip length. Also don't forget the Ruger Max 9 for more inexpensive offering if it suits you.

The Taurus GX4, Kimber R7 Mako are newer offerings in the same format and similar sized as is the Hellcat depending on what you consider major manufacturer. Obviously not as well respected but if you are like me proper vetting of any gun from any manufacturer is a must and some smaller OEMs are making good improvements or may offer something the others have missed out on( Backstraps, totally ambi for lefties)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Figured it would be good to have a general, consolidated discussion of the virtues and vices of the various new tiny 10+ round 9mms.

Of the current reputable makers, we have:

-Sig P365: works, but it's a modern production Sig
    -Shield Plus: a bit on the too new side

Which is what I've read here, but I've been wrong before. Please feel free to correct me.
    43X/48 share the same RSA one isn’t going to run better or worse than the other

P365 series works and has not had any issues outside one batch of oversized sight dovetails and one bad batch of takedown levers which has not re-occurred. Pretty damn good given the number of these things SIG has cranked out.

No direct experience with the new S&W other than it feels better in the hand than the Glocks or Sigs.

I guess my only complaint with the P365XL is that the grip length is ever slightly too small for me with a 12 round mag. The G43x/G48 grip length is perfect imo. Just a personal preference there that is very, very subjective. I prefer everything else about the P365XL though.

Is the Hellcat even worth mentioning? I've heard so many mixed reviews but LTT selling an upgraded model has caught my attention.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    43X/48 share the same RSA one isn’t going to run better or worse than the other

P365 series works and has not had any issues outside one batch of oversized sight dovetails and one bad batch of takedown levers which has not re-occurred. Pretty damn good given the number of these things SIG has cranked out.

No direct experience with the new S&W other than it feels better in the hand than the Glocks or Sigs.
    When was the bad batch of takedown levers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    When was the bad batch of takedown levers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    pre-covid

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I don't think these should really be included in the category; the 43x is significantly larger than the P365, which is more the size of the 43 (actually slightly smaller). The stock configuration is not really staggered, and the Shield Arms magazines don't seem to be up-to-snuff. Someone is bound to chime in how theirs has been fine, but there's way too many reports of them being either unreliable at the very least picky and inconsistent.

I'd be curious to see how the Shield Arms mags functioned with a longer/stronger spring and say, 12 or 13 rounds. 15 seems to be a bridge too far.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I don't think these should really be included in the category; the 43x is significantly larger than the P365, which is more the size of the 43 (actually slightly smaller). The stock configuration is not really staggered, and the Shield Arms magazines don't seem to be up-to-snuff. Someone is bound to chime in how theirs has been fine, but there's way too many reports of them being either unreliable at the very least picky and inconsistent.

I'd be curious to see how the Shield Arms mags functioned with a longer/stronger spring and say, 12 or 13 rounds. 15 seems to be a bridge too far.
    My understanding is that the Shield Arms mags are literally just normal 15 round double stack Hi-power style mag bodies like nearly every gun since the Hi-power have used, just modified to fit front to back and with a Glock compatible mag release slot cut into them.
    I have read that people have experienced worse reliability from these guns compared to the full size guns, with it getting worse as the RSA get higher round counts. It might not be the mag spring that is the culprit, but that the gun itself runs much closer to the edge of the envelope in terms of functionality, and because of the nearly full size grip and shoot ability, people are expecting them to function like a duty gun, when they are built off of a pocket gun. But it doesn't seem to have been engineered with that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    43X/48 share the same RSA one isn’t going to run better or worse than the other.
    Sure, but the 48 may run better with a longer RSA, though obviously it would no longer share parts or be slide swappable with the 43/43X.

I have a 43X and a P365. Both are, so far, proving to be reliable and accurate "summer carry" guns. The capacity of the 43X with the factory magazines isn't concerning to me. I do know people that have the S15 magazines and they are happy with them...but they aren't what I would call medium to high volume shooters.

The P365 with the 12 round magazine is a good choice. I'm intrigued with the P365X (slide of the 365 with the grip module of the 365XL) and I may get one in the future for the optics cut. I'm also planning on a Hellcat one day and if this H&K micro ever comes out, I'm sure either my son or I will pick up one of those as well.

I do run the 43X at speed better than the 365 simply because, for me, the grip of the 43X is easier to grab on to when drawing. At 25 yards on a B8 they are about neck in neck for me.

It's great to have so many options now. Years ago, finding something small and reliable was a bit of a challenge. I can remember struggling with a Colt Officer's model (weight and reliability) and longing for options like we have now.

Regards.

User Tag List