Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: what 38 wadcutter and where to get it

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Nope. This is PF. The whole reason for wadcutters is to cut holes through bones, blood transporting vessels and important organs without over penetrating 😁

Yes those UW are ridiculous.
    Cutting small groups of nice round holes in paper is a legit PF goal. So is that other stuff.

"The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

BB Wadcutters

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers with my first post. I shoot those through my 649 and I have no problem managing recoil. It is not excessive. An airweight may be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Those kick like a mother f*****. The whole reason for a wad cutter is reduced recoil and improved shootability leading to improved accuracy and more practice.

If I was going to put up with that much recoil I would choose and expanding projectile.

Notably more recoil with the Buffalo bore than the spear Gold Dot 135 grain plus p 38 special

Lost River sent me some wadcutters, stand up guy. Got my little lcr, waiting on the holster but after that I'm gonna run it through its paces. Had a bad gun tinkering night and buggered the roll pil for the front sight and vent my 1/16 so I have another 1/16 on the way

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Lost River sent me some wadcutters, stand up guy. Got my little lcr, waiting on the holster but after that I'm gonna run it through its paces. Had a bad gun tinkering night and buggered the roll pil for the front sight and vent my 1/16 so I have another 1/16 on the way
    Get on the mailing list for these for practice. https://www.precisiondelta.com/produ...ed-ammunition/
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmike57 View Post
    I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers with my first post. I shoot those through my 649 and I have no problem managing recoil. It is not excessive. An airweight may be a different story.
    I dont know if you’ve read Doc’s post on 38 ammo. Going higher velocity than standard velocity wc doesnt gain you anything other than additional recoil. Bullet over penetration as well as a danger to those down range is a consideration.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ll=1#post75145

When faced with too little penetration, as is common with lightweight .38 Sp JHP loads or too much penetration like with the wadcutters, then go with penetration. Agencies around here have used the Winchester 148 gr standard pressure lead target wadcutter (X38SMRP), as well as the Federal (GM38A) version--both work. A sharper edged wadcutter would even be better... Dr. Fackler has written in Fackler ML: "The Full Wadcutter--An Extremely Effective Bullet Design", Wound Ballistics Review. 4(2):6-7, Fall 1999)
    "As a surgeon by profession, I am impressed by bullets with a cutting action (eg. Winchester Talon and Remington Golden Saber). Cutting is many times more efficient at disrupting tissue than the crushing mechanism by which ordinary bullets produce the hole through which they penetrate. The secret to the increased efficiency of the full wadcutter bullet is the cutting action of its sharp circumferential leading edge. Actually, cutting is simply very localized crush; by decreasing the area over which a given force is spread, we can greatly increase the magnitude to the amount of force delivered per unit are--which is a fancy way of saying that sharp knives cut a lot better than dull ones. As a result, the calculation of forces on tissue during penetration underestimate the true effectiveness of the wadcutter bullet relative to other shapes."

Thank you. I have read Doc's stuff many times. I carry different ammo in my j-frame depending on the usage. Primary, backup, or car gun.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I dont know if you’ve read Doc’s post on 38 ammo. Going higher velocity than standard velocity wc doesnt gain you anything other than additional recoil. Bullet over penetration as well as a danger to those down range is a consideration.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ll=1#post75145

When faced with too little penetration, as is common with lightweight .38 Sp JHP loads or too much penetration like with the wadcutters, then go with penetration. Agencies around here have used the Winchester 148 gr standard pressure lead target wadcutter (X38SMRP), as well as the Federal (GM38A) version--both work. A sharper edged wadcutter would even be better... Dr. Fackler has written in Fackler ML: "The Full Wadcutter--An Extremely Effective Bullet Design", Wound Ballistics Review. 4(2):6-7, Fall 1999)
    "As a surgeon by profession, I am impressed by bullets with a cutting action (eg. Winchester Talon and Remington Golden Saber). Cutting is many times more efficient at disrupting tissue than the crushing mechanism by which ordinary bullets produce the hole through which they penetrate. The secret to the increased efficiency of the full wadcutter bullet is the cutting action of its sharp circumferential leading edge. Actually, cutting is simply very localized crush; by decreasing the area over which a given force is spread, we can greatly increase the magnitude to the amount of force delivered per unit are--which is a fancy way of saying that sharp knives cut a lot better than dull ones. As a result, the calculation of forces on tissue during penetration underestimate the true effectiveness of the wadcutter bullet relative to other shapes."

It was mentioned in the other thread that target wad cutters perform the same in bare gel vs. 4-layer denim. How well do they work through auto glass? Do they have enough velocity to reliably penetrate and track straight(ish)?

Yeah, I decided to try it out and see. Figured one box of ammo couldn't do much damage.

I get a "there are no payment options available for your state" message.

Never seen anything like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by JWH View Post
    It was mentioned in the other thread that target wad cutters perform the same in bare gel vs. 4-layer denim. How well do they work through auto glass? Do they have enough velocity to reliably penetrate and track straight(ish)?
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post716907

User Tag List