Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what 38 wadcutter and where to get it

I use the Precision One 148gr played wadcutters.
    Alas, no stock now and over twice the price I paid for my last order.
    https://precisiononeammunition.com/p...48gr-cpwc-new/
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Following with interest…
    There’s a 642-2 in the used case at my LGS that’s been catching my eye…. $360 seems like a decent price, no?

But I’ve been wondering about .38 ammo availability…
    That is a great price as long as it's in good working order. Too bad it has the lock.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    Following with interest…
    There’s a 642-2 in the used case at my LGS that’s been catching my eye…. $360 seems like a decent price, no?

As long as that revolver is in good order, that is a great price and you should buy it.

I’ve had my 642-2 since I bought it new in 2004. Thousands upon thousands of factory and reloaded rounds, never a lick of trouble. It is the gun I have carried most in my life, and though I’ve spent a lot of money trying to find something “better”, there just pretty much isn’t something truly better for all the jobs it has: pocket/ankle/SmartCarry for deep concealment, backup, snake shot while rifle hunting, getting ditched in the lockbox when visiting an NPE and then going back in my pocket with a minimum of fuss.

It basically has no finish left, and I should probably strip what is left and cerakote it or something, but I just don’t really care how worn the finish is at this point. This little gun has worn holes in the pockets of more pants than I can count, and will be with me till it dies or I do.

I reload most of my .38 ammo these days. If you need some brass to get started and can’t find any, let me know.

Site Supporter
    Following with interest…

FWIW, my 642-2 shoots high with wadcutters and needs 125-130-grain ammo to hit POA. This doesn't mean that the one you're looking at will, just something to keep in mind.

.38 practice ammo is out there, but the defensive stuff is harder to find.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    If they’re not available on Federal’s website, I’ve had pretty good luck finding them on Gunbroker
    "0 results found"
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    "0 results found"
    Sad face.

I also have a bot set up to alert me when they’re on Federal’s website

Following with interest…

Ammo availability is bad right now. BUT…

You don’t need 10,000 rounds for one of these. I think I have 250 or 500 wadcutters, and I could probably make those last the rest of my life if I need to. You can get FMJ ammo to train with. That will be less of a pain in the ass cleaning and maintenance wise, and a 642 will probably not be a high round count range day gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Ammo availability is bad right now. BUT…

You don’t need 10,000 rounds for one of these. I think I have 250 or 500 wadcutters, and I could probably make those last the rest of my life if I need to. You can get FMJ ammo to train with. That will be less of a pain in the ass cleaning and maintenance wise, and a 642 will probably not be a high round count range day gun.
    dude i just need like 100 and i'll be happy lol

I can second the Fiocchi wadcutters for reliability and accuracy in my 642. I also wish I had a second 642 and would swipe another up for $360.

As an option the BHA 148 HBWC is excellent, https://www.black-hills.com/shop/new...mo/38-special/
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List