Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lakeland FL; shooting that killed four, including a baby

Site Supporter

Lakeland FL; shooting that killed four, including a baby

https://www.wfla.com/news/polk-count...unday-morning/

LAKELAND, Fla. (WFLA) — Four people are dead, including an infant, after an armored man shot them before attacking Polk County deputies Sunday morning, Sheriff Grady Judd said in a live press conference.

Judd said around 7:30 p.m. Saturday, deputies were called to a home about a suspicious person on North Socrum Loop Road. When they arrived, a woman told them that a man, later identified as 33-year-old Bryan James Riley, said God sent him to her house to speak with one of her daughters.

For the next 22 minutes, deputies scoured the area but could not find the man or his vehicle, Judd said, but around 4:30 a.m. Sunday, a lieutenant with the Polk County Sheriff’s Office heard “two volleys of automatic gunfire” in the area, about two miles east of his position.

It was the same exact house that (the gunman) showed up nine hours earlier,” Judd said.

The sheriff said almost immediately, the sheriff’s office got numerous calls about an active shooter situation.

“It was like bam, bam, bam bam bam, and I heard that more than once, and I thought that sounds like gunfire,” neighbor Ron Forrer said.

Lakeland police and deputies responded to the situation. The sheriff said when they arrived, they found a truck on fire and glow sticks lining the path to the house and heard a popping noise in the front yard.

“At that moment in time as we approached, we saw (Riley) totally outfitted in body armor and looked as if he was ready to engage us all in active shooter situation, but we didn’t see a firearm,” Judd said.

According to Judd, the armored assailant ran back inside the house, at which point deputies heard gunfire along with a woman’s screams and a baby’s whimpers.

The sheriff said the lieutenant tried to enter the house from the front, but it was barricaded, prompting deputies to enter from the back.

The gunman then fired at the lieutenant, who returned fire and backed out of the house, Judd said, and deputies provided fire support to allow another three to get out of the way after getting pinned by gunfire from the front of the home.

According to the sheriff, there were dozens of shots fired in the exchange.

After a period of silence, Judd said Riley, who got hit by a gunshot, surrendered to officers, who rushed him to the staging area before getting taken to Lakeland Regional.

Once in the ER, the suspect tried to grab a Lakeland police officer’s gun and fought with first responders until they subdued him, the sheriff said.

While the suspect surrendered into custody, deputies heard an 11-year-old girl inside the home, according to Judd. Judd said a PCSO sergeant rushed inside and rescued the girl, who was shot multiple times with at least seven bullet holes on her body.

“She looks our deputies in the eye and says, ‘there’s three more dead people in the house,'” he said.

Judd said the child was airlifted to Tampa General Hospital for surgery. Meanwhile, the sheriff’s office had to use robots to check the home for booby traps before deputies could enter the home.

According to Judd, there were three homes on the property, with deputies finding Justice Gleason, 40; a woman, and an infant all shot dead in the main house. Judd said the infant’s body was still in their dead mother’s arms when they were found.

The infant’s 62-year-old grandmother was also found dead in the house directly behind the main one, the sheriff said. The family dog was also found dead.

“This man killed four people this morning, tried to kill our deputies, and then gave up,” he said.

The sheriff said there was another 10-year-old girl from the family that was found safe at a relative’s home.

“If (Riley had given us the opportunity, we would have shot him up a lot, but he didn’t because he was a coward,” Judd said. “You see, it’s easy to shoot innocent children and babies and people in the middle of the night when you’ve got the gun, and they don’t. But he was not much of a man.”

Judd said Riley, a self-described survivalist, said he was on methamphetamine at the time, but it is not known why or how he ended up at the home twice.

Judd said Riley was honorably discharged from the U.S. Marines and currently works as a security guard for ESS Global Corporation. He lives in Brandon, but the sheriff’s office said it has found zero connection between him and the victims.

Judd said Riley’s girlfriend spoke to authorities, saying that his mental health was deteriorating but showed no signs of violence.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-05-2021 at 02:48 PM.

God, what a miserable piece of shit.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    God, what a miserable piece of shit.
    He needs to accidentally fall out of a high window.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    He needs to accidentally fall out of a high window.
    Repeatedly.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I saw several news items about this on the news links before coming to this sub-forum. The media critters are emphasizing the fact(?) that he is an ex-marine sharpshooter survivalist. Clicks above truth, no doubt.
    Let's just pave the way for the next one, shall we?

The poor murdered family is getting pretty short shrift on MSN and ABC so far. Arrgh.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I saw several news items about this on the news links before coming to this sub-forum. The media critters are emphasizing the fact(?) that he is an ex-marine sharpshooter survivalist. Clicks above truth, no doubt.
    Let's just pave the way for the next one, shall we?

The poor murdered family is getting pretty short shrift on MSN and ABC so far. Arrgh.
    I noticed that as well. One report said he was “designated as a sharpshooter” during his time in the Marines.
    Does that mean he qualified one level above “Marskman” and below “Expert”, or is that a role within a company or platoon, similar to a “Designed Marksman”?

I suspect it’s the former, but thought I’d ask.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I noticed that as well. One report said he was “designated as a sharpshooter” during his time in the Marines.
    Does that mean he qualified one level above “Marskman” and below “Expert”, or is that a role within a company or platoon, similar to a “Designed Marksman”?

Yeah, words mean things. It’s one thing to imply a sniper with tours under their belt, and another to pass a qual at the midpoint with 210. If you are correct—as I suspect you are—then that’s one more thing for us civvy training junkies to look out for.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Most people will think he got off too lightly no matter what happens to him. Its times like this that make me wonder if doing away with public capital punishment was a good idea.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post

There's no telling with the news. "Sharpshooter" is not a term applied to the tactical employment of a squad designated marksman....but it's the news, where they might use "sharpshooter" to refer to such instead of the actual term.

My guess is he qual'd sharpshooter on the range and they got ahold of his DD-214, thinking it means something it doesn't. But, who knows.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Survivalist... riiiigghhtt... Let’s gloss right over the fact that he was geeked out on meth. Probably had been binging on meth for an extended period and had some drug-induced psychosis going on. But let’s talk about “survivalist”. Way to go media. The agenda is pretty clear.

User Tag List